stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 07/01/2018 at 5:47 PM, chicaneuk said:

It's a drop in replacement and only takes about 30 minutes to do. 

I thought there wasn't conclusive evidence that it was worth doing? For the cost/effort, perhaps replacement of the loo roll [more] frequently is a better plan?

9 hours ago, adamhearn said:

I thought there wasn't conclusive evidence that it was worth doing? For the cost/effort, perhaps replacement of the loo roll [more] frequently is a better plan?

Well purely on a cost calculation, the loo roll cost me about £14 from Amazon last time I changed it.. probably paid well over the odds but assuming even £10 a time, and you should ideally change it at least once a year. Plus your time to fit the replacement, etc. And the Vortex filter cost me about £25 from BMW so... if you plan to keep the car for more than a couple of years the vortex type makes sense?

35 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

It's definitely worth fitting the Vortex in lieu of the loo roll.

+1

A few quid extra for total peace of mind. My two were bought from ECP for around £20 if I recall, depending on their offers an discount ....part number 11127799366. 

12 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

£14 from Amazon

Mine was £7.45 delivered from eBay (genuine Meyle part).

Cost wise I don't actually disagree but I'm sure I've read conflicting reports of whether the vortex is actually "better" [when compared to a regularly cleaned/replaced filter].

28 minutes ago, adamhearn said:

Mine was £7.45 delivered from eBay (genuine Meyle part).

Cost wise I don't actually disagree but I'm sure I've read conflicting reports of whether the vortex is actually "better" [when compared to a regularly cleaned/replaced filter].

Loo roll is more effective but I still prefer fit and forget with vortex.

Washed; dried, polished with my Megs 'DA hammer drill attachment thingy me doo dah', all blacks restored, wheels dried, waxed lightly (only winters) and tyres Meg try gelled and I'm knackered now :lol: 

was done last week but had both Thermostats done, now gets up to temp withing minutes, gives out toasty air when on hot and also temp gauge doesn't drop down to cool on the motorways....standing firm in the middle :)

It just feels the car is more responsive and also better on fuel (not done the mpg test but i do a regular run every fortnight on the M1 and fuel needle stays further to the right these days!)

Did an oil and filter service today, as well as the air filter, all ok but the front of the engine looks a bit oily - rocker cover gasket? 

14 hours ago, The Spooner said:

Did an oil and filter service today, as well as the air filter, all ok but the front of the engine looks a bit oily - rocker cover gasket? 

Could be, or oil filter housing or maybe vanos seals?

Give it a thorough clean off and drive it for a week and see where the oil leads from etc ;) 

Thank you, oil filter housing gasket was recently done, so I suppose it could be The vamps seals as you say. I'll clean off and drive around for a bit! 

Today i stiffened my front suspension on the 530d after rubbing its nose in the floor like a scolded puppy dog.

Not the usual sort of modification associated with stiffening the suspension but not much of a choice given the circumstances.

Pissed about the tyre!!

5a5b8d055c4e9_IMG_37061.thumb.JPG.ba11b74e43d70342cbf7944a507ac7dd.JPG

5a5b8d123dd5f_IMG_37101.thumb.JPG.83f208cb61720c68c623c546505ba3d2.JPG

Edited by Captain Beaky

This is the M-Sport suspension front spring but using Real OEM there is no part number for it, in fact there is no information for front springs.

Vin Decoder lists nothing either only code S704 does anyone know the part number for the M-Sport front springs?

I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that you order springs against the VIN and they are tuned to all the options that the car has that may affect the weight.

13 minutes ago, RichardP said:

I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that you order springs against the VIN and they are tuned to all the options that the car has that may affect the weight.

Yes. In original ETK there is a spring table which calculates the axle weight according to additional equipment and then gives the part number. 

Makes sense, I have found an online parts dealer and there are loads of springs available even for the M sport but there's more than one OEM number for the front.

TBH this car is just a winter hack with plenty of wear, my thinking is as long as they are suited to the M Sport i.e. ride height I'll change the pair and it should be okay, with the discount applied £35 each

Manufacturer: LESJÖFORS | 4008470
ARTICLE №: 4008470
LESJÖFORS | Coil Spring 4008470 for BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 530 d - from 08.1998

Parts Details:
  • Fitting Position:Front Axle
  • Suspension:for vehicles with M-technology
  • Spring Design:Coil Spring
  • Transmission Type:Automatic Transmission

Snap! Quite literally!

the FR spring on my 530d did this about 3weeks ago. Was no Biggie as had already built up new struts ready for a planned summer overhaul but I lost a nearly new tyre as well :-(

I know your pain!

It was sat outside and must have failed overnight, the tyre was skewered when the missus tried to drive off. Doh!:blink:  Fair play she still tried her best even after the pop, then came in the house and told me someone had stabbed the tyre.....WTF??

Maybe I should bill her for a new tyre Or even better a checklist before using the car, something like............

Is the car locked since the last time it was used

Are the keys still in the ignition

Are there 4 fully inflated tyres

Does it have fuel today

Do the washers have water

Are there wipers on the arms or are they still stuck to the frozen screen

Can I see out of the back window

Seriously though i'll have to bill her for a pair you simply just can't change one:lol:

Edited by Captain Beaky