stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

13 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Do the angel eyes look like the originals?

Yes and no, you get the same effect when they're switched on but when they're off you can't see them at all due to them being mounted within the headlights unlike the facelift headlights where the rings are quite prominent.

50 minutes ago, NWJW said:

Yes and no, you get the same effect when they're switched on but when they're off you can't see them at all due to them being mounted within the headlights unlike the facelift headlights where the rings are quite prominent.

Now im really lost, i'll have to have a look at these

The rings are aftermarket items mounted within the headlights behind the lenses so when they're off they like bog standard pre-facelift headlights, not like the facelifts that have the rings clearly visible; 

images.jpg

BW-E39-5100_1_2_43.jpg

Fitted the EGR delete kit, puka kit for £24 everything you need down to the plug for the vac line

Before

IMG_3667.thumb.JPG.1696259307ac441c7cbb6a11a72cf9d1.JPG

AFTER

IMG_3669.thumb.JPG.80f9b5cefff1ebef459c8cc0a7cb174e.JPG

IMG_3670.thumb.JPG.85085c16b5f7bf688315e35fa70e1557.JPG

large.5a47fc2e88262_20171230_1459312.jpg.78baf9ca8a87ef447572d32606f0a325.jpglarge.5a47fc112e67a_20171230_1459312-1.jpg.ef30f4697d7158f4c829224258581028.jpg

19 hours ago, adamhearn said:

What did I do today... drove it :)

Same here. Drove mine for the first time in about two weeks. Had to park up in a rather dodgy industrial estate because there were tail backs to get into the retail park that I was aiming for.

Worthy of a pic I thought...:ph34r:large.5a47c116f39b9_20171230_1458402.jpg.cd53979cc67343db56eb8b80efec0024.jpg

Edited by Loadmaster

Well troops,

i start a new job on Tuesday, and at 1/2 term the beast will be in the body shop for the application of the ‘magic bodywork wand’.

facelift headlights to follow, (best source recommendations welcome), followed by tuning fork allows, before tarting up the interior. It’s grey leather at the mo though, so options may be limited.

as always, any and all advice is most welcome and appreciated.

Robert

Power washed, snow foamed, wheels washed, rinsed and left to drip dry... Car was absolutely filthy and covered in salt, so it's just had all that crack removed.

No sign of decent car washing weather any time soon, so that'll have to do for now :roll:

7 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Power washed, snow foamed, wheels washed, rinsed and left to drip dry... Car was absolutely filthy and covered in salt, so it's just had all that crack removed.

No sign of decent car washing weather any time soon, so that'll have to do for now :roll:

The problem is not the salt but all the chemical binders that are added to it, ruins the car and corrodes everything so keep it washed!

On 23/12/2017 at 8:52 PM, amauvis said:

Acquired a Dynavin N7-E39. Will fit it after Christmas. Chinese shite, and I have DSP. Wish me luck :)

It's in and it works. For how long, who knows. Was a bit of a bugger of a job getting it to fit flush with the comedy replacement cage. It needs to be built up and then persuaded to adopt the right shape to fit, it's the first time I've used a hammer in a tool kit to fit a radio. It also took a while to figure out that rather a lot needs to come off the get the OEM cage out.

I have left the MID connection accessible for clock resetting and other things, coming out into the drivers footwell. The trouble with the DSP setup is that it remembers the last settings and the new headunit operates within those parameters, so having the old radio turned down nice and low when you take it out means the new one doesn't go very loud. So, the volume control is on the MID and I can plug it in easily. It's not particularly elegant though, will probably find a way to tuck it somewhere so it cannot be seen.

1 hour ago, amauvis said:

it's the first time I've used a hammer in a tool kit to fit a radio

Thanks, that made me smile!

I washed mine today (nothing like above, just water and a mitt). Yeah I know it's going to rain anyway :x

Washed the car and cleaned and polished the headlamps lenses, but during the Xmas break I've replaced the front shocks & springs, top mounts, both sets of control arms and tie-rod ends. Will need to do the front wheel bearings and I've just ordered the complete set of parts to overhaul the rear suspension at some point, along with the shocks and springs too. Not all strictly today but....

Re-visited my 'cool' heaters today as it's a bloody nightmare in this weather, I'm having to drive around with the heated seat on and the window open 'cause I'm misted up all the time! I flushed the matrix a while back which seemed to improve things and today I've put a coolant flush through it which doesn't seem to have made any difference so I'm going to try flushing the matrix again tomorrow. If that doesn't work I have a horrible feeling it'll be a dashboard out job to change the matrix. :roll:

Edited by NWJW

Looked at it :(

I'm desperate to clean it to within an inch of its life, inside and out

However, I'm sick or have been sick as a dog and doing owt takes it out of me :x:roll: 

1 hour ago, Captain Beaky said:

Is the thermostat jammed open?

Nope, the engine is toasty hot within a few minutes of starting. The pipes coming from the heater valves are hot too so I'm pretty sure they're ok but I will check them before doing anything more drastic.

15 hours ago, NWJW said:

Re-visited my 'cool' heaters today as it's a bloody nightmare in this weather, I'm having to drive around with the heated seat on and the window open 'cause I'm misted up all the time! I flushed the matrix a while back which seemed to improve things and today I've put a coolant flush through it which doesn't seem to have made any difference so I'm going to try flushing the matrix again tomorrow. If that doesn't work I have a horrible feeling it'll be a dashboard out job to change the matrix. :roll:

Funny, mine always has had a heater issue. Once above 2k revs it runs cold. Fine below that. So motor runs get chilly. Changed loads thermostat, aux heater pump, water pump. Flushed and bleed the coolant but no change. To be fair it only bothers me on long motor way runs.

Finally fitted the vortex type oil breather, and disposed of the loo roll type, on my 530D. Nice easy little job on a cold Sunday afternoon! My loo roll filter which I changed about 6 months ago was indeed wet with oil but wasn't completely gunked up and saturated like I know some folks have reported in other threads. 

2 hours ago, stew99 said:

Funny, mine always has had a heater issue. Once above 2k revs it runs cold. Fine below that. So motor runs get chilly. Changed loads thermostat, aux heater pump, water pump. Flushed and bleed the coolant but no change. To be fair it only bothers me on long motor way runs.

Interesting. I had an issue with mine recently where the heater would only blow warm air once the car was moving and above around 1600RPM.. as soon as you came to a stop in traffic, it'd start to blow cold. Found that, after having had the webasto heater off a few times in recent months, I'd dropped too much coolant out of the system and it needed a couple of litres (!) and some bleeding before it was happy. The odd thing was that the temperature gauge always moved up and sat in the middle spot nicely.. and now that the car actually has coolant I'm realising my thermostat(s) are probably goosed as it takes ages to warm up and never gets fully to the middle of the temperature gauge any more! 

Edited by chicaneuk

Just flushed the matrix again and stripped and cleaned the heater valves (they didn't look too bad to be honest) and WE HAVE HEAT! 

1 hour ago, chicaneuk said:

Finally fitted the vortex type oil breather, and disposed of the loo roll type, on my 530D. Nice easy little job on a cold Sunday afternoon! My loo roll filter which I changed about 6 months ago was indeed wet with oil but wasn't completely gunked up and saturated like I know some folks have reported in other threads. 

Tell me more ?

Oil breather, vortex?

Well it's best to just do a search as it's been discussed many times, but here's an example thread:

Essentially the E60 with the later type M57 engine instead of having the foamy / spongey oil breather cartridge for the crank case instead uses some kind of self contained oil separator unit which doesn't need replacing like the one in the E39. Honestly, I'm not clued up enough to know the pro's and con's for changing it.. I think the potted summary is that the loo roll type is more effective BUT gets clogged easily and if forgotten about can cause problems for your turbo etc. Vortex less efficient but really it's a fit and forget part. Just about every thread I came across said to swap to the Vortex unit, so after a bit of a delay, I finally got round to it :)

It's a drop in replacement and only takes about 30 minutes to do. 

Edited by chicaneuk