stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Kicked it right in the size 18  TWICE!!

I fed up with all the electrical shit going on and have decided not to wear my comfy nylon pants anymore, because the E39 is obviously susceptible to the static build up.

Latest failure is the screen, has anyone else encountered this, can it be fixed or do i have to swap this out 

5a396fb372e45_IMG_33491.thumb.JPG.6c19e595a3645173ae6b041c417fffb6.JPG

On 18/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, NWJW said:

Can just transfer all the xenon gubbins onto the halogen headlights? :?

Yes, although you’ll need some adapters to hold the Xenon bulbs into the H7 housing.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Replacement-H7-Xenon-HID-Bulb-Holder-Adapters-for-BMW-E39-3-Series/191995898533?hash=item2cb3d8eaa5:g:wtYAAOSwpLNYAMTI

On 12/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, The Flying Banana said:

it's verynice ....I am thinking of a change too as mines is at 240000 .....still pulls well but I am thinking I need an auto now too ...an auto E39 will do me lol 

240k is just run in isn't it?

Getting this Basser sub installed, JL audio amps, a pioneer head unit and some Ground Zero mids.

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

Fitted some black kidney grills and replacement headlights. 

Before;

002.JPG

After;

001.JPG

Also, those adapters I ordered didn't work as they seem to be for facelift cars with H7 bulbs and mine is a pre-facelift with HB4's so I did some minor surgery and fitted the dipped beam reflectors from the old headlights into the new headlights thus allowing me to fit the xenon DS2 bulbs.

Edited by NWJW

13 minutes ago, NWJW said:

Fitted some black kidney grills and replacement headlights. 

Before;

002.JPG

After;

001.JPG

Also, those adapters I ordered didn't work as they seem to be for facelift cars with H7 bulbs and mine is a pre-facelift with HB4's so I did some minor surgery and fitted the dipped beam reflectors from the old headlights into the new headlights thus allowing me to fit the xenon DS2 bulbs.

Looks miles better ;)

How are the xenon's and which bulbs did you go for?

*edit - the facelift headlights are projectors, so what is it you've swapped over?

Edited by d_a_n1979

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Looks miles better ;)

How are the xenon's and which bulbs did you go for?

Thanks! And to be honest I'm not sure what bulbs they are, I didn't actually take them out of the reflectors when I transferred everything over. There was no way I wasn't fitting them after having a couple of e39s previously with halogens, as we all know, they're not the brightest of things. ;) 

10 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

*edit - the facelift headlights are projectors, so what is it you've swapped over?

I fitted the brackets, ballasts, the silver dipped beam reflector bits inside the headlights and the bulbs, the angel eyes were already fitted in the headlights by the previous owner.

14 minutes ago, NWJW said:

The reflector 'bowl' that the bulb fits into.

Ok... So do your headlights not have the projector part that facelift halogens have?

As in this:

https://goo.gl/images/oFzLM9

or am I being thick? :lol:

Here you go Dan, I swapped the part with the red arrow pointing to it from my headlights into the replacement headlights, this was identical between the halogen headlights and the xenons apart from that it took a HB4 bulb in the halogens and a D2S bulb in the xenons. My headlights and the replacement set I bought were both pre-facelift by the way. 

001.JPG

Edited by NWJW

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup, that's the projector part ;)

Hang on now i,m confused:blink:

My 530d saloon is a 2000 W with xenon projectors as in the before picture, but the missus touring has angel eyes and halogens and they are total pants my triumph has better lights with its sealed beams. 

So what lights have you swapped for? 

Have you taken the projectors and fitted them to a halogen unit that had angel eyes originally or are the angel eyes a retro fit also? did you swap the indicators as well?

What I've done is fit the xenon projectors from the headlights in the before picture into the headlights in the after picture, the angel eyes in those are aftermarket items that were already fitted into the headlights when I bought them.

I like it!

There's something about them, i'd say the indicators make them.  The round ones don't seem right to me they seem to look like an addon 

Do the angel eyes look like the originals?

15 hours ago, NWJW said:

Here you go Dan, I swapped the part with the red arrow pointing to it from my headlights into the replacement headlights, this was identical between the halogen headlights and the xenons apart from that it took a HB4 bulb in the halogens and a D2S bulb in the xenons. My headlights and the replacement set I bought were both pre-facelift by the way. 

001.JPG

I am a  dumbass!

Hadn't clicked you were using pre-facelift headlights, that's why all the questions :lol: