stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 03/11/2017 at 1:56 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

82mm stud conversion kit ordered:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371575433483

Will probably get some nicer looking wheel nuts such as Ultralite ones from SPD Automotive (where I got my coilovers from) such as these:

http://www.spdautomotive.co.uk/acatalog/ULN-A078-G---ULT-EXT-HEX-M12x1.5-BLACK--x20--1356.html#SID=153

Interesting links Dan. What's the advantage of doing this conversion?

32 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Interesting links Dan. What's the advantage of doing this conversion?

Makes changing wheels / removing wheels and putting them back on a lot easier (I remove my alloys once a month to full clean them) and also means you don't need longer bolts when spacers are used :)

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Makes changing wheels / removing wheels and putting them back on a lot easier (I remove my alloys once a month to full clean them) and also means you don't need longer bolts when spacers are used :)

Ah yeah, gotcha. I can relate to the benefits of these having fitted the spacers yesterday. A little tricky lining up the wheel with the hub bolt holes and also keeping the spacer in alignment as well.

I feel another mod coming on! :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Ah yeah, gotcha. I can relate to the benefits of these having fitted the spacers yesterday. A little tricky lining up the wheel with the hub bolt holes and also keeping the spacer in alignment as well.

Whack a load of copper grease on the back of the spacer and it'll stick to the hub and not rotate around so easily as well as obviously stopping any corrosion.

Removed the Traffic master and cd changer as both are like a chocolate teapot.

I have a tracker fitted that i dont use with small aux gel 12v battery and I think it might also be causing some batt drain so will remove the lot tomorrow.

I've just started tidying up the bit of rot in the boot under the spare wheel and around the battery tray where it seems a battery has leaked previously. Bloody hell, it's cold out!

34 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Easiest way I found was to fit the spacer to the alloy (with a very small amount of copper grease) and then fit them to the hub... Easy to lines the holes up then ;)

21 minutes ago, NWJW said:

Whack a load of copper grease on the back of the spacer and it'll stick to the hub and not rotate around so easily as well as obviously stopping any corrosion.

I did! Helped to some degree but alignment still took a couple of goes on the first two that I did.

Fitted later style chunky sports steering wheel. (E46 style) Much nicer feel in one's hands. 

Although the buttons arent working now?! Got to take the airbag out again to replace it so I'll investigate buttons then. 

Also fitted my all leather gear knob, E46 again I believe 

Having a mare with my electrics, radio has stopped working and the indicator flashy bits on the dash also, no display on the on board computer WTF ???

Followed it back to a 30amp fuse in the boot compartment, it's obviously feeding power to circuits in the car but what?

Does anyone know what the fuse at the end of the screwdriver in the picture does?

IMG_2882.thumb.JPG.c5d3f129493e6dcffbbfdaac879e64ac.JPG

Rear interior and parcel shelf removed in readiness for tomorrow and having the coilovers fitted

Forgot how fiddly this job is; more so when it's clearly never been removed before (all clips were tight fast and took some 'persuading' to get them out) :lol: 

A lot of well preserved 'wildlife' in there too (namely spiders and flies :roll: ) so it's been well hoovered and wiped down etc.

Will give the rear seat a good clean and leather condition later on and it can sit in the garage soaking in the goodness until it's refitted tomorrow

Fitted:

• D2 coilovers
  • New front end drop links
  • New rear end drop links
  • New front ARB bushes (poly ones) and OEM rear ARB bushes
  • 82mm stud conversion kit fitted
  • New rear bottom damper bolts as original ones were damaged upon the nasty task of removing them
  • New front pinch bolts as they were damaged on removing them (original ones again)

Hell of a day :roll::lol: 

Suspension needs a bit of height tweaking and steering needs a slight alignment tweak, other than that, car looks great...

Will get pics up in project tomorrow when I've put the car back together inside... 

Just had 4 new Dunlops put on the old girl. :wacko:

There was actually plenty of tread left on the old ones, but as I do silly low mileage they had started to split between the tread blocks and crack on the side walls. They were 10 years old!!!

I was living with them for the odd local trip, but am off up to Brum for the Motorcycle Live show in a few weeks ( 120 odd motorway miles each way )so thought it best to pop some new boots on - ching ching!!

Bought polish retreaded winter tyres in Vilnius Garunai market at 31 quid per each, fitted them for extra 4.5 quid each
Wanted with studs but could not, all the sellers were busy or lazy to do that

Edited by gine39530d

15mm spacers fitted up front to sit the alloys out a touch further; looks much better now 8)

Alloys will be off end of this week and winter alloys & tyres on. Dropped to -4ºC here last night and the weather, judging by the longer term forecasts, is only going to get/stay colder, so better safe than sorry! ;) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

On 11/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, NWJW said:

I've just started tidying up the bit of rot in the boot under the spare wheel and around the battery tray where it seems a battery has leaked previously. Bloody hell, it's cold out!

Finished this off earlier, I now have a non-crusty spare wheel well. I also treated the interior to it's first good clean since I bought the car. I've never had a car with a light interior before and it was getting on my nerves as it was looking decidedly grubby, One can of foam cleaner, some microfibre cloths and a bloody good hoovering with a brush attachment and I'm actually quite liking the beige now.:) 

I'm just waiting for the mats to dry now as I put them in the washing machine (top  tip!), they're on the radiator in the living room now so I may need to go out before my better half gets home and sees them....

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Fitted:

• D2 coilovers
  • New front end drop links
  • New rear end drop links
  • New front ARB bushes (poly ones) and OEM rear ARB bushes
  • 82mm stud conversion kit fitted
  • New rear bottom damper bolts as original ones were damaged upon the nasty task of removing them
  • New front pinch bolts as they were damaged on removing them (original ones again)

Hell of a day :roll::lol: 

Suspension needs a bit of height tweaking and steering needs a slight alignment tweak, other than that, car looks great...

Will get pics up in project tomorrow when I've put the car back together inside... 

When you coming down to Notts to service my car mate?

29 minutes ago, benysound said:

I have installed new contour seats + e38 armrest + double glazing + aktiv seats ! 

19126096_1450367081684928_1496438436_o.j

23600131_1450367035018266_1358254631_o.j

They look superb? 8)

Where are you in the world seeing as your car is a left hooker? ;) 

Been planning a rear end refresh / upgrade on the old girl for a while.

I replaced the subframe mounts with Meyle HD items earlier in the year, and shortly after took delivery of these....

IMG_1543.thumb.JPG.9040a084c527ab5129e770edfe996d1e.JPG

They have been sitting in the spare bedroom for 6 months waiting for me to get the rest of the parts ordered. 

Finally got the last of these items today.......

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.46167f8f47c4b48f639d8874d1fc4642.JPG

The anti roll bar is a used M5 item, which I had powder coated red......as you do!!

Wanted to do the work myself, but as usual time has romped away, the weather has got colder, and I really don't fancy lying on my back on a damp drive :mellow:, so I'm planning on letting the local indy have the pleasure in the next few weeks.:)

Fried the front NS caliper/disc and pads :lol:

Seems it's a little seized :roll: New MTec grooved discs, their own pads ordered and getting calipers from General Traffic motorfactors, local to me (cheaper than Brakes Int)!

Will get them fitted later next week as haven't time before hand; will have to borrow the wife's racing Jazz 8):lol: 

Just had to limp it home after the new fan I fitted a few weeks back decided to let go in spectacular fashion taking out the header tank, radiator, aux belt and the bonnet sound deadening in the process, luckily I hadn't got round to replacing the shroud yet and was only a mile from home at the time. :angry:    

I'm not sure why it decided to explode but I had noticed a slight vibration now and again at about 1.5k revs and recently the clutch has been locking up at random times. The fan, clutch and water pump were replaced by the previous owner at the start of last year yet when I bought the car the fan had a blade missing so I'm wondering if there is a problem with the parts fitted that is throwing the fan off balance? 

Edited by NWJW

It made me jump! I was thinking to myself 'why has the fan kicked in, it's freezing cold....?' I then gave it some beans and all of a sudden 'BANG'! I've just checked the receipt for the viscous clutch and it appears that the previous owner may have had a cheapy fitted so I assume it has been locking up and spinning the fan too quickly with inevitable results.:roll: 

There seems to be quite a bit of play on the water pump too so I think that the previous owner driving it with a blade missing on the old fan has knackered the bearings in that as well, oh joy............   

..........I'll get a picture up tomorrow of the carnage if I can bear to look at it. 

As promised, its a shit picture but if turn your contrast up you can just make out the chunks of fan and bits of shredded belt in the undertray; 

001.JPG

Edited by NWJW