stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Washed, dried, all plastics treated with Megs Plastic restorer; wheels off and washed inside and out, tyres treated with Megs tyre gel and refitted

Interior hoovered, leather all conditioned, Autoglym 'autofresh'd' and now it's just lashed it down :lol: 

Goes back into the body shop monday morning too for another front-end detail as he's not happy with the finish on the lacquer on the bonnet. The weather's been really cool then really warm here and the lacquer hasn't settled as well as he'd hoped; so he'll flat it back again and re-polish... Skills way out of my remit! :roll: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Fitted a E60 gear lever (short shift mod)

Will be fitting brake ducts on the w/e hopefully .........

1 minute ago, llcoolj said:

Fitted a E60 gear lever (short shift mod)

Will be fitting brake ducts on the w/e hopefully .........

I'm still wounded that you beat me to this ha.

48 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

That steering wheel looks pretty unworn. 

When I got it, it had an effortlessly naff stitched leather look cover on it, and I thought the wheel underneath must be worn, but when I removed it, that was the result!:D

Brake wear light appeared on dash so I replaced rear pads and sensor. Light went off but then came on again. checked rear sensor which was OK. Removed offside front wheel forgetting that front sensor is on the nearside. Removed front nearside wheel and found that the sensor had come out of the pad. The plastic arm was broken but the wires appeared intact so there was no reason why this should have triggered the light. I replaced the sensor in the pad and the light went out. Mental note to self to buy a new sensor.

• Bought and collected D2 coilovers (by the time I'd added up the costs of new dampers, springs, top mounts etc, the coilovers were only fractionally more expensive) :roll: Booked in on Wed 8th Nov to be fitted and fast road setup done ;) 
  • New front & rear drop links ordered
  • New front & rear ARB bushes ordered

:mrgreen: 

50 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:
  • Bought and collected D2 coilovers (by the time I'd added up the costs of new dampers, springs, top mounts etc, the coilovers were only fractionally more expensive) :roll: Booked in on Wed 8th Nov to be fitted and fast road setup done ;) 

I want an in-depth review....been eyeing up coilies....do the D2 come with pillow ball top mounts? Heard they can be a bit crashy/harsh compared to rubber??

28 minutes ago, trenchy24 said:

I want an in-depth review....been eyeing up coilies....do the D2 come with pillow ball top mounts? Heard they can be a bit crashy/harsh compared to rubber??

They're absolutely fine; had them on my previous E39 (as per in my sig below) and they were very good indeed. Had them on numerous other cars beforehand too; never had any issues!

The only times you'll hear people say pillowball mounts are crashy are those that haven't set up their car properly; or those that have heard it from their cousins, best pals brother etc :roll: 

The D2s are pillow-ball up front, standard aluminium mounts on the rears

Very adjustable so you can have them as soft or hard as you want on the road :) 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

What will they do different for a fast road setup Dan?

9 minutes ago, Hairyarse said:

What will they do different for a fast road setup Dan?

A bit more aggressive settings of the wheels pal (toe and camber, not sure re caster though) and obviously make sure it's set up as it should be so it handles like it's on rails ;) 

fitted winter tyres on my standard 16s,plan to pick up a set of nice alloys in the spring for summer use and keep the 16s for winter wheels, also replaced fuse 58 as it was missing so my radio no doesn't keep switching off every 20 mins, fingers crossed it wasn't removed deu to battery drain issues