stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Great look dan.

Hopefully mine will look that good too!

It will do once you've got it out of the body shop ;) 

Always feels like it's a new car then 8) 

44 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Hi Dan,

are those boots 18” timing forks?

Mine are 17” turbines, which I’d love to change. Little acorns though cos I’m retired now (albeit a bit early), so funds not too flush at the mo! 

18" AVA Phoenix alloys in hyper silver (as per my sig); same design as the Zito 935s etc

I've 16" turbines just refurbished (faces only) for my winter tyres to go on

Might move over to 19" alloys next year; fancy something with a deep lip :) 

Snow foamed, all nooks and crannies washed with a detailing brush and Auto Finesse 'Verso All Purpose Cleaner' (basically to get rid of all the ingrained polishing dust from the body shop etc); snow foamed again, washed using the 2 buckety method, towel dried and all panels treated with Dodo Juice Lime Prime and then buffed. 

Using this to get rid of as much silicone polish on the car as possible in readiness for a proper DA detail polish and wax, in readiness for winter (he says as it's 20ºC outside in mid October :lol: ). All black trim treated with Megs Plastic Restorer; exhaust tail pipe polished with Autosol and tyres all treated with Megs Tyre Gel :)

Did the wife's racing Jazz too (well, washed and dried, tyres treated with Autoglym Tyre Dressing and did all the black plastic with Megs Plastic Restorer too) ; still looks the cleanest it ever has been :roll: 

Fitted a new battery today. 

Went and finally had my headlamp beams checked and aligned after retro fitting the Xenons and the garage said only one beam was a bit low so a bit chuffed with that I set them up correctly B)

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Fitted a new battery today. 

Went and finally had my headlamp beams checked and aligned after retro fitting the Xenons and the garage said only one beam was a bit low so a bit chuffed with that I set them up correctly B)

It's a great upgrade to do IMO... Love having bright white headlight beams (not stupidly white mind you, 6000k is more than enough 8)

Your beams must have been off kilter before you fitted the xenons (or did you fit full units/headlights rather than just retrofit the ballasts and D2S xenon bulbs)?

12 minutes ago, Milo said:

The MOT man flagged up a broken adjuster in my old Halogens and it being a late 2003 I didn’t fancy keyhole surgery so just replaced the whole units for factory  Xenons. 

Ah fair enough; I tried to find some but they were all knackered looking or mouldy...! :shock: No thanks :roll: 

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Snow foamed, all nooks and crannies washed with a detailing brush and Auto Finesse 'Verso All Purpose Cleaner' (basically to get rid of all the ingrained polishing dust from the body shop etc); snow foamed again, washed using the 2 buckety method, towel dried and all panels treated with Dodo Juice Lime Prime and then buffed. 

Using this to get rid of as much silicone polish on the car as possible in readiness for a proper DA detail polish and wax, in readiness for winter (he says as it's 20ºC outside in mid October :lol: ). All black trim treated with Megs Plastic Restorer; exhaust tail pipe polished with Autosol and tyres all treated with Megs Tyre Gel :)

Did the wife's racing Jazz too (well, washed and dried, tyres treated with Autoglym Tyre Dressing and did all the black plastic with Megs Plastic Restorer too) ; still looks the cleanest it ever has been :roll: 

Would you do mine for a £10 mate?

2 hours ago, norightsock said:

Would you do mine for a £10 mate?

Sod that, I was paggered haha

My backs like glass after such a heavy week training and kept getting cramp in my hands after all the grip work I've done this week! :roll:

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Sod that, I was paggered haha

My backs like glass after such a heavy week training and kept getting cramp in my hands after all the grip work I've done this week! :roll:

That's a no then mate?

No see where you are coming from....will get round to giving her the attention she deserves but with me flogging my home at the moment money is tight(and time)!

3 minutes ago, norightsock said:

That's a no then mate?

No see where you are coming from....will get round to giving her the attention she deserves but with me flogging my home at the moment money is tight(and time)!

Yup

Been there, done that etc... 

Just give it a quick wash and it'll be fine. Can detail it at a later date :)

Got the wagon serviced and checked this weekend, ready for the winter, and a bunch of minor fault codes eliminated, although

one code has me curious, perhaps someone knows it in more detail?

000030 EGS: Conv. lockup clutch, excessive slip (PO740, P2761, PO741) ?

Despite a thorough check of front suspension, bushes and ball joints they were unable to determine the cause

of my high speed brake Shimmy, suspect has been whittled down to a sticky piston in the offside brake calliper.

Thats the next job.

34 minutes ago, Marc_C said:

Got the wagon serviced and checked this weekend, ready for the winter, and a bunch of minor fault codes eliminated, although

one code has me curious, perhaps someone knows it in more detail?

000030 EGS: Conv. lockup clutch, excessive slip (PO740, P2761, PO741) ?

Despite a thorough check of front suspension, bushes and ball joints they were unable to determine the cause

of my high speed brake Shimmy, suspect has been whittled down to a sticky piston in the offside brake calliper.

Thats the next job.

High speed braking shimmy can be rear thrust arms/bushes too; so get those checked

Even with slight play, they'll do this to the car

Also get your tyres checked for uneven wear etc

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

High speed braking shimmy can be rear thrust arms/bushes too; so get those checked

Even with slight play, they'll do this to the car

Also get your tyres checked for uneven wear etc

Thank you, I will do that.

I was planning to change the tyres this week, it had a brand new set on there when I bought it as a Japanese Import, the brand was called 'Federal' I'd never heard of them and

the road noise from them is like driving a HGV.

Im putting a set of Uniroyal Rain Sport 3's on it this week and will see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again.

Federal are fairly well known tyres; top end of budget ranges I'd say. They do some good track day tyres though!

The RS3s are good tyres; so I'm sure you'll do well with them, but deffo get those rear upper suspension arms checked ;) 

Wimbledon Automatics today for a transmission check. 

Delroy gave it a complete diagnostics and told me no faults of any kind but instead of Oil

its filled up with treacle and needs to be changed out with a filter sharpish!

So its back tomorrow for a 'box service £200 plus vat 

Very nice guys at Wimbledon Automatics, they do love their older BM's and the owner has had a couple of E39's and knows the model well.

He was telling me that at various seminars he has attended held by ZF the transmission manufacturers that they recommend an oil and filter change on

my particular gearbox every 30k miles. That was an eye opener, at 60k miles my wagon has already doubled that.

No wonder it looks like treacle.

image1.JPG

Lovely looking tourer @Marc_C

You need to get a project set up in the 'Projects' section further down the home page and get more pictures up ;) 

You think your box has high miles, mines done 109k miles and never been changed and know of other E39s nearer 200k with no fluids changed in the autobox! ;) 

Some say every 50-60k miles, others will say different...

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Lovely looking tourer @Marc_C

You need to get a project set up in the 'Projects' section further down the home page and get more pictures up ;) 

You think your box has high miles, mines done 109k miles and never been changed and know of other E39s nearer 200k with no fluids changed in the autobox! ;) 

Some say every 50-60k miles, others will say different...

Blimey. The beast has done about 180k miles!!

i guess I’m lucky really. Still, it’s just moved the job up the list of tasks to complete!

Thank you @d_a_n1979 I will take a look at the Projects section and do that, I intend to get a new sound system put in as soon as my 'pennies join the dots' so to speak

so perhaps that might be of interest.

You and @eleanorsskipper are absolutely right of course, at the end of the day its horses for courses,  Im only erring on the side of caution with an oil change on the transmission as I do hammer the old girl on euro road trips a few times a year so I don't want to tempt fate if you take my meaning.

Edited by Marc_C

I thought perhaps some of you might like to see the oil and filter taken from my auto box today by the nice folk at Wimbledon Transmissions.

The red oil in the filler is what its supposed to look like while the black gunk in the bucket with the filter is what came out, it stank of

of rotting mattresses too...ugh.

image1-2.JPG

image1-3.JPG

image1-4.JPG

3 hours ago, Darkbmwlord said:

Watched mine rusting in the rain.:blink:

No rain here; so finally been able to rinse it, snow foam it, power wash that off and then wash properly (full of saharan dust after Monday's weather and after I'd spent all day Sunday washing and waxing it :roll: :lol:

It's now nice, dry and shiny again... Until later tomorrow when it lashes it down again!

Edited by d_a_n1979

Ahaaaa! I am back with my new project. Just brought my next e39 530i beauty home. It's not the 530i touring I was looking for coz they're like hens teeth (well, with my critical overview) - might even have considered another 525i if it were a 2004 or diesel if there had been a low milage example. Anyway, it's done and she will get a good clean tomorrow and I will need to get a dent-master person to sort a couple bits.... Then wheels, audio, etc, etc. I guess it's time to prowl the classifieds for (cheap). parts. Hope we'll get another meet at some point to show her off when done. :)