stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

3,239 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2017 at 7:05 PM, d_a_n1979 said:
  • Fitted new front fog lights and LED HB4 bulbs

LED bulbs for the fog lamps or high beam? Are they any good?

10 hours ago, DerekJr. said:

LED bulbs for the fog lamps or high beam? Are they any good?

For the fog lights; I'm not won over by LED's for main headlight bulbs yet, haven't seen any that actually provide decent light

Just running Osram Nightbreaker H7s as my main beam bulbs

11 hours ago, Furiousgta said:

Gave it a good clean too... never using one bucket approach to car cleaning again...

be3bab73b7bcba4d7cfab19c268a716d.jpg

Furious

Agreed. It's amazing how much dirt and grime there is on the mitt! No wonder most people get horrendous swirl marks... 

• Gone over the car and made a list of the bodywork bits that I want attending to, whilst it's in for the front-end respray next week (so sills, rear arches and bottom of drivers door where rust has come back after last time in the body shop (being done for free). Front end respray and will have the boot lid up to the spoiler done (paint issues around the boot lock etc)
  • Winter turbines dropped off to have tyres removed, will collect later today and start to refurb them (scotchpad, primer, gunmetal grey spray paint) and then Michelin Alpin A4 tyres to be fitted next week :) 
  • Front tie rods and inner knuckle sections ordered and rear, upper-rear arms ordered all to be fitted Wed 4th Oct 

Spend, spend, spend :lol: 

jones73 likes this

Collected a set of 16" turbine alloys yesterday from an elderly neighbours brother, who lived around the corner! Free too, all I needed to do was sort some of his garden out for him. Not bad for 2 hours labour and more coffee and cake than you could shake a stick at :lol: 

Had an E39 530D that was written off 2 years ago, still had a few sets of alloys and old tyres for them (sold the 17" alloys last week he said, no idea which wheels they were), and currently drives around an a 3.0 Z4 ;) Not bad for 81! :shock: 

So I've sanded them/scotch padded them to clean them off, power washed them and dried them, primered and then x3 coats of Rover gun-metal grey and 3 coats of lacquer

IMG_20170920_144744.jpg

Michelin Alpin A4 winters to be fitted to the (228/55/16s) and my winter wheels are all sorted :mrgreen: 

NWJW and Loadmaster like this

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:22 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

For the fog lights; I'm not won over by LED's for main headlight bulbs yet, haven't seen any that actually provide decent light

Just running Osram Nightbreaker H7s as my main beam bulbs

Dan, do the Osrams look a bit whiter than the standard 'off yellow', but not too white to look DRL ish and 'too modern' for the E39, if you know what I mean?

Yeah, they're 5k I think whereas their OEM ones are 4300k @Loadmaster

They're whiter, but not blue/purple white like DRL's or Merc headlights etc... 

Great light spread and colour IMO. Great on the country roads tonight driving back from training and that good I hardly used main beam! 

Edited by d_a_n1979
Loadmaster likes this

Just ordered a new viscous fan as the current one has a blade missing (the whole car vibrates when it kicks in! And I decided against going down the electric route...) and also a new top hose a preventative measure as the one that's on there doesn't look too clever. I'm ticking off the to do list slowly! :)

d_a_n1979 likes this

• Washed and dried and all areas for attention with the bodyshop noted (gets dropped off in the morning)
  • New interior mats ordered
  • Rear front and rear upper arms ordered / new tie rods and knuckles/gator kit ordered (to be fitted Weds 04th Oct)
  • 15mm hubcentric spacers ordered too

Spend, spend, spend :lol: