stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

3,237 posts in this topic

Cheers Bud

31 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

Cheers Bud

No worries

Believe me, if I can do it with my slab like hands, anyone can :) 

I'll be listing the alu trim I've removed from mine sometime in the next day or so as it's of no use to me now!

Admired the new interior trim :lol:

Ordered the M Style silver rings for the cluster and bought Carly for BMW and the necessary cables off Amazon

Opened the boot tonight and noticed the Castrol oil I got from ECP earlier this week was LL spec rather than C3 that I had got before so have to replace that as LL is not BMW approved :(

LL01 OR LL04 is what you need

The Triple QX oils usually meet those specs

Thanks; for no particular reason I've always used Castrol Edge in 5w-30 viscosity. Previously this was labelled LL04 but the cans provided this time had no such certification. I've ordered 0w-30 that does meet BMW specs.

7 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Admired the new interior trim :lol:

Ordered the M Style silver rings for the cluster and bought Carly for BMW and the necessary cables off Amazon

Trim looks good, glad you like it :)

d_a_n1979 likes this

Gave her a nice machine polish, and two days later went camping! Ignore the clothes drying on it... 

21106823_10155818627866004_6228474430492357650_n.jpg

Edited by The Spooner
Hairyarse and d_a_n1979 like this

Cleaned both of ours,I think the transmission bell is starting to toll on the faithful 3.0i Sport Tourer,I don,t normally drive it that much but have been lately ferrying Harty to vets and Liverpool,anyway noticed a very faint occassional squealing noise from underneath and a definite harsher gear change when slowing down to a stop,

I had the filter and oil changed in the autobox 3yrs ago just because mileage was creeping upto around the 150,000 mile mark,never had any issues before or after.

Driving in manual mode and everything is fine,i,ve told Donna who drives it everyday to report back any untoward goings on,but to be honest i,m not holding my breath as when i mentioned the faint squealing she said Oh yes its been doing that for ages,Doh !image.thumb.jpg.ffa500a28a0a397db9dd7a320e0c4155.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.497fdf666e7e9a0a5b2be58a8fa552a7.jpg

Loadmaster likes this

Swapped oil at ECP; bought a full set of filters and rear brake kit too.

Removed rear wheel with the intent to fit the new discs and pads and decided they didn't need doing after all so put it back on :)

Thanks; for no particular reason I've always used Castrol Edge in 5w-30 viscosity. Previously this was labelled LL04 but the cans provided this time had no such certification. I've ordered 0w-30 that does meet BMW specs.

I along with many other people use Castrol Edge which used to be BMW approved until they moved over to Shell not so long ago. Do you really think Castrol have changed the formula so it's not gonna suit BMW any more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, though I suspect there's very little difference in any brand when it gets drained much earlier than the service indicator suggests. I work it so I do 2 oil changes for one service indicator (i.e. I don't reset the light on the interim) which is usually every 6-8K miles.

I still bought Edge, just 0w-30 when I previously used 5w-30. Again, whether it'll make much difference given the severity of winter we usually get in the UK I don't know but it's LL04 where the other isn't [anymore].

Fitted the cluster rings from SSDD

What a bloody nightmare; talk about fiddly!

Used this 'how to': http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/173729-diy-pixel-repair-lots-pictures.html

Will get pics up tomorrow, it's lashing it down here currently!

^^^^^^

Looks very good, well worth the effort.

d_a_n1979 likes this

Replaced the loo roll in the oil breather and cleaned all the debris (leaves, dirt and other junk) that had built up around the pollen filter housings.

New front tyres fitted. Hadn't realised how badly the Pirelli's had worn, quite unevenly too and they'd started to show their age as some cracks had appeared.

Nice Nexen N'Fera SU1's all round and have to say, I'm impressed with them. They get decent reviews and they're grippy and very quiet too!

Have to say, they hadn't worn unevenly on my E39, they were off some previous alloys I bought a few years back and had been stored in my garage on a rack up high, so they were nice and dray and covered too!

Fitted a new dash bulb and along with the pixel repair by carphonics I can now see every pixel

Followed up with a 270 mile drive with traffic and a quite ridiculous 48.7mpg on the obc with a fair load.

Must do the drop links but love this bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Bob likes this

• Fitted new front fog lights and LED HB4 bulbs
  • Fitted xenon ballasts, D2S/H7 bulb adapters and using Osram Xenarc 'Cool Blue' D2S bulbs
  • Parked back up the drive as it's been biblical rain here today :lol: 

retro fitted xenon ballasts & brackets + a set of osram  night breakers ,

changed oil & filter

fixed doggy wiring in tailgate + a new handle 78 f'&^%ing quid in my oldest boys freelander

Failed an MOT last week on some really minor issues... so it went back in today with most of them fixed, and the garage to tackle one of them.. and just seen that it's passed with 0 advisories too. Not bad for a 16 year old car with 207K on the clock really, eh?

norightsock, adamhearn and jones73 like this

1. Threw out LED sidelights and replaced with ordinary bulbs.

2. Broke down - maf plug fell off

3. Broke down again - engine running rough

4. Broke down again - pipe fell off maf sensor

5. Broke down again - more rough running

6. Considered scrapping it