stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

3,135 posts in this topic

Took my wrong radiator back to ECP.

Went to the stealer and ordered 4 radiator hoses and belts, car is nearly 20 years old and couldn't source the parts from anywhere else. Wee lassie didn't look like she'd looked under a bonnet in her life, but we got there in the end!

Will swap in the new parts Sunday

51 minutes ago, High Lander said:

Took my wrong radiator back to ECP.

Went to the stealer and ordered 4 radiator hoses and belts, car is nearly 20 years old and couldn't source the parts from anywhere else. Wee lassie didn't look like she'd looked under a bonnet in her life, but we got there in the end!

Will swap in the new parts Sunday

Did you not try with the relevant part numbers off RealOEM and eBay UK or eBay.de or did you need to get them there and then?

High Lander likes this

Took it for an MOT this morning.  Passed.  Even said the handbrake was good!  

jones73 and Hairyarse like this

12 hours ago, syncrofred said:

Took it for an MOT this morning.  Passed.  Even said the handbrake was good!  

WHAT!!!!! Your hand brake was good?? Are you sure he tested the beemer lol.

Hairyarse likes this

Replaced injector no1, yak im surprised it came out....thick with black tar...took some cleaning but all back toghter and runnibg sweet as again. And i didnt have to remove the inlet manifold.......again lol.

IINexusII likes this

Noddy job but bought a good used toolkit on eBay which filled in all the missing blanks in mine, on my Touring. Problem is now the extra weight has just tipped the dead struts / dampers over the edge meaning the boot lid won't stay open now! I guess that's the next job.. 

Nothing exciting,washed the Individual yesterday and fitted new number plates,good to find no rust behind the rear plate,

Probably just wash the Touring today,it,s in for MOT Thursday so fingers crossed.

• Quick DIY refurb on front alloys as rears were done a few weeks ago (sanded down, smoothed, wiped clean, primered, painted and lacquered), fitted new centre caps and 'M' badges also. Look much better now :D
  • Fitted new black wheel bolts all round
  • Hoovered and washed/polished (again), bloody dust and a black car!!!

On 4/12/2017 at 9:18 PM, NWJW said:

Are you sure you didn't pop round my house and have a look at the car? :D The pipework was indeed 6mm, it was also a Leonardo system with a stepper motor. The venturi was fitted in the inlet pipe between the maf and throttle body, there was definately nothing there to stop backfiring through the inlet to the air box. I only really used the lpg when on a steady run, for nipping about town I would leave it on petrol.

AaHH!

I spent more time fixing bad installs than actually doing conversions, I only done the course with my best mate so that we could convert our own motors, then it went to family and friends, then people were turning up saying some guy down the pub had sent them "go see them boys down the back lane"

phor talk about unsavory people!! At one point everyday people would be calling, big arse Mercs, Range Rovers, Discos, Shoguns, yank stuff, Jags but never many BMW,s 

Anyhow there were some horror stories because anyone can do the course and the local bodgers were painters and phone salesmen and knew sod all about fault finding or how engines work. However the biggest problem was the car owners, they thought you could buy some old bruiser with running costs normally way beyond their means and run it cheaply on gas, most cars were high miles.

What I learnt and was absolute was that the car had to be running perfect before any conversion took place. Full health check Balanced compression, no leaking valves in the head, in fact all my cars had the heads done first, the ignition had to be spot on, new plugs, leads and anything else that needed doing and if they did not want to spend the money then bugger off, and in a nut shell that's why the majority of LPG cars have issues. 

High Lander likes this

Busy day... ripped the front bumper half off at mcdonalds on a kerb. Don't think anyone saw me

Then took it off properly, replaced the engine mounts, straightened and mended the bumper and refitted it. Still got to mend the temp sensor and lower front wheel arch liner things. They can wait a week.

Done a bit of work on my under bumper splash guards today. Bought these about 6 months ago after going down the route of the copy versions but not happy with the fitment. Full steam ahead for my front (and rear) bumper refresh planned in June/July. 

Ohh ! And cleaned my wheels and applied some wax B)

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

how much did those cost? same issue going for panda ones off ebay but dont fit very well..

I got these from a breaker who did not quite realise these are like hens teeth !

The passenger side one had a 2 inch long crack in it though. I used some Millyput on it and sanded it back down (not quite there yet for the purists)

You gotta just keep looking and strike lucky with an undamaged pair as the BMW price for these new is scandalous  :angry:

IINexusII likes this

Thank you, yeah id rather have a genuine one with a few scrapes and cracks that i know will fit properly than a 3rd party one thats all mangled. theres a few e39 sports nearby breaking on ebay, ill give em a message :)

Had some free time, and got some motivation to do a bit of polishing on the car.. ended up doing:

* Claybar whole car

* Poorboys Polish

* Poorboys Blackhole Glaze

* Autoglym HD Wax

Took about 6 hours, and my arm was destroyed by the end of it, but the car looked much better for it! :) 

17 hours ago, IINexusII said:

Thank you, yeah id rather have a genuine one with a few scrapes and cracks that i know will fit properly than a 3rd party one thats all mangled. theres a few e39 sports nearby breaking on ebay, ill give em a message :)

I have repaired quite badly damaged ones (like actual big chunks missing!) with fibreglass and filler before now rather than buy another set of the pattern ones. SE ones will fit too but you end up with a bit of a gap in the front corner where they meet the bumper.

I've done nothing to my E39 today 

But someone in a truck done this for me...................What A Nimrod !!

IMG_0296[1].JPG

I just had my rear subframe bushes replaced. I was thinking of not doing it but the car was in the garage for a week having the gearbox fixed so I thought why not. SOOO please I did! Car feels spot on now, much more stable and the rear end no longer bounces around. Anyone wishing to do the same I would say that you won't regret it,  although its not cheap. :( 

Next to do sort my misfire on cold startup. 

SOLD MY v8-- after 7 years of ownership...

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

I've done nothing to my E39 today 

But someone in a truck done this for me...................What A Nimrod !!

IMG_0296[1].JPG

Fecks sake, I noticed a dent on my car yesterday where someone has opened a door into it which wound me right up. ^^That must have pissed you right off.     

Edit; It wasn't a scaffolding wagon was it? One managed to rip the back bumper off my missus little Picanto a while back...

Edited by NWJW

2 hours ago, NWJW said:

Fecks sake, I noticed a dent on my car yesterday where someone has opened a door into it which wound me right up. ^^That must have pissed you right off.     

Edit; It wasn't a scaffolding wagon was it? One managed to rip the back bumper off my missus little Picanto a while back...

No, that would have been easier to find him, this was some delivery lorry in work reversing in the service yard, no visible markings. It reversed back caught the side and when he pulled forward to get out of there he ripped the bumper off. I managed to clip it back on but it's fecked, also you can't see it but the panel is gashed. CCTV camera has condensation inside the cover so I can't see the number plate either.

This might be curtains for Dirty D