stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

3,009 posts in this topic

In the past couple of weeks I've changed battery, brake booster, master cylinder, radiator and all cooling hoses (cracked in the winter, new ones from BMW), changed front discs and pads for Brembo ones, bled coolant, bled brakes... only to have the corroded rear brake pipe go... 

Bought new ones from BMW (I know, copper/cuperite would be better etc), managed to find a place that could tackle it and after much faffing and waiting around, took it there today and they call me and tell me that the back needs new discs, pads and handbrake shoes...

Didn't want to be ripped off and have them put cheap parts in (they quoted me £160), so I went to ECP (never-ending discount) and got all Brembo parts for £115 and took them in.

Should pick it up tomorrow... then it STILL needs MOT and Tax too, so who knows what that will throw up...

Good bloody job the thing is beautiful...

IMG_0548.JPG

Edited by TeddyRuxpin
Hairyarse, Loadmaster and IINexusII like this

Put the hsd's on at last. 

Back needs to come down a little. 

Full alignment tomorrow. 

Will lowering the rear another 5mm require another alignment? 

Or maybe raise the front a bit. Would love to go lower but reality needs to take control! 

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1906.PNG

Edited by falcodub

Have been chasing a vibration which I've now narrowed down to the driveshaft using a vibration analysis app on my phone. Pulled the driveshaft today and dropped it off for a rebuild. Center bearing was definitely on the way out (made noise when spinning it) but I will have the slightly suspect u-joint and cv joint replaced as well as the boot was torn on the latter.

Exhaust does not need to come off by the way, it can be done just by lowering the exhaust. No lift and I didn't fancy bench pressing the exhaust back into place.

LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol but a superior octane level, the basic calculation is that LPG will give you 20% less MPG however because of the cost difference your pounds go further, and if you were really of mind to save a little more then the LPG for household heating is exactly the same stuff but 15% cheaper again.

NWJW, I here what you are saying but a single point venturi works just as well if set up properly. Issues I have found in the past for V6 and V8 engines are the vapouriser fitted in the wrong place, also too small and lack volume, I would also guess that the pipe from the tank to the filter and onto the vaporiser was 6mm (too small for big engine especially auto's), mixture set wrong at idle and fast je., possibly a leonado system fitted with a stepper motor using the lambda probe, i alway fitted a separate lambda, also some cars only sample the lambda (will not work properly with gas)

LPG should never be used with a cold engine because it will freeze the vapouriser, min coolant temp should be 15 degrees.Backfire is caused by leaking valves (inlet or exhaust), the venturi fitted in the wrong place, air leaks and wrong plug gaps and running the lpg tank empty. Also a backfire should never get to the air box, there should be backfire devices in place, if the air box is affected then the MAF will have been damaged.

Hope this helps 

NWJW and BarryM like this

I didn't hear from the garage so I called them and they told me that the car is all back together, but the brake pedal is still spongy, and they're going to bleed it again... OK...

They call back later and say that there were two 'missing bolts on the master cylinder' and that would cost an extra £45 because of the time....

She then called back and said she said pedals are still soft, they are going to use a 'bleeding machine' tomorrow, instead of using 'man power'... eh? Why not use the 'machine' straight away? I also wonder if they have no idea about the ABS pump bleed/needing INPA to activate pump (I tried to mention it).

I told her that i've changed master cylinders and there are two bolts that hold master cylinder to brake booster, and two bolts that hold booster to the car so not sure what the mechanic is talking about with missing bolts - if they were missing they wouldn't be attached to the car! She said i could ask the mechanic tomorrow, I said ok i will...

Who know what lies ahead tomorrow...

Carl-e34 likes this

Sat around waiting like a tw*t. No call back yet. I'm thinking they have no idea what's wrong.

Terrified it's the master cylinder leaking into the booster. Hoping it's just not bled properly.

But hey, my passenger occupancy sensor arrived, as well as a BMW bonnet badge and 4 wheel badges... :unsure:

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

22 hours ago, falcodub said:

Put the hsd's on at last. 

Back needs to come down a little. 

Full alignment tomorrow. 

Will lowering the rear another 5mm require another alignment? 

Or maybe raise the front a bit. Would love to go lower but reality needs to take control! 

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1906.PNG

Looks well; needs 15mm spacers to get the tyres flush to the arch lines now IMO and set at the ride height so they don't rub if going over bumps etc

Get the full alignment done and then I'd leave it for 3-4 weeks for all the suspension to settle properly and then decide on the ride height (higher or lower)... It will settle and probably drop another few mm anyways!

falcodub and Hairyarse like this

New stat, water pump and belts fitted... All bang on as it should be now; runs at the right temp and needle is where it should be! :) 

Rear wheels re-balanced and new valves fitted; this was what was causing the wobbling at speed

All underneath checked over, all bushes/srms/links/ball-joints/prop shaft,bearing and donut checked and all is is very good condition 8) 

Needs another wash now :lol: the rains leaving sand all over the show... Bloody dark cars!!! 

Beginning to miss mine after 12 days away.

Looking forward to getting back to Blighty this weekend, giving it a wash and run.

Sad bugger.......

jones73 and Hairyarse like this

I sympathise. I'm 7 weeks with my foot in cast so really missing it now.

I went to my unit today to check on her and start her up. Sadly she's parked up outside and filthy now

aa81d4700e63617895b00d37705d04b4.jpgf8f5c2882656ad1df49132d9985334c2.jpg

You can't see in the pics truly how dirty she is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loadmaster likes this

22 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol but a superior octane level, the basic calculation is that LPG will give you 20% less MPG however because of the cost difference your pounds go further, and if you were really of mind to save a little more then the LPG for household heating is exactly the same stuff but 15% cheaper again.

NWJW, I here what you are saying but a single point venturi works just as well if set up properly. Issues I have found in the past for V6 and V8 engines are the vapouriser fitted in the wrong place, also too small and lack volume, I would also guess that the pipe from the tank to the filter and onto the vaporiser was 6mm (too small for big engine especially auto's), mixture set wrong at idle and fast je., possibly a leonado system fitted with a stepper motor using the lambda probe, i alway fitted a separate lambda, also some cars only sample the lambda (will not work properly with gas)

LPG should never be used with a cold engine because it will freeze the vapouriser, min coolant temp should be 15 degrees.Backfire is caused by leaking valves (inlet or exhaust), the venturi fitted in the wrong place, air leaks and wrong plug gaps and running the lpg tank empty. Also a backfire should never get to the air box, there should be backfire devices in place, if the air box is affected then the MAF will have been damaged.

Hope this helps 

Are you sure you didn't pop round my house and have a look at the car? :D The pipework was indeed 6mm, it was also a Leonardo system with a stepper motor. The venturi was fitted in the inlet pipe between the maf and throttle body, there was definately nothing there to stop backfiring through the inlet to the air box. I only really used the lpg when on a steady run, for nipping about town I would leave it on petrol.

There's an awful lot of room in here...

Water pump & stat replaced shortly after this picture - new rad, header tank & viscous coupling going in tomorrow

gutted.png

Basic job admittedly but just been to give the MAP sensor a clean on the 530d. Only run it around the block but it does feel a bit more eager from lower revs and can hear the turbo spooling up quicker I am sure.

Slowly chipping away at these little jobs is steadily improving the car every time! 

Got the car back! Finally sorted, MOT'd, taxed... changed the badge (didn't mean for the pics to be so big!) so the car is regaining its dignity.

...not sure I want to look at it for a long while now, though! Or my bank balance. 

Need to clean it up and then it's onto finding money for all the other issues!!! :unsure:

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

Edited by TeddyRuxpin
Hairyarse likes this

Started the project of de-beigeing my car, rear carpet, centre console, rear seats and door cards are now English green.

Also fitted new aux cable as mine died.

New Turbo + Intercooler today, not too bad of a job i must say, hardest part was jacking the car up and trying to fish the old turbo unit out :)

IMG_20170414_090049.jpg

IMG_20170414_074610.jpg

IMG_20170414_074614.jpg

Edited by IINexusII

After abandoning it whilst on holiday for two weeks, gave it a good wash and Hoover.......

And went for a drive for 20 miles or so. Nowhere in particular, just for the hell of it.

Machinehead and TeddyRuxpin like this

Full of sand due to the Sahara rains over the last week or so; so hoovered and cleaned inside then washed & polished after too!

Nice and shiny again :) 

TeddyRuxpin and Machinehead like this

Discovered that the drivers side door tweeter now wasn't working...

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

Had the rear brake pipes renewed- retest and Passed its MOT-

now I'm thinking it's time to sell the v8 

its been a great 7 years

IMG_2557.JPG

Jim Bob likes this