stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

2,859 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ellis23 said:

Nice pedals . where from ?

Direct from Schmeidmann. And thank you.

Edited by Jim Bob

Went on a road trip today to get me some new ramps for general maintence, these bad boys are 2m long and 18" high and designed for lowered cars (last owner used them for his drift car) but on a small A road on my return journey I managed to destroy my passenger side mirror glass on a poxy branch stickin 2ft out of a hedge into the road!!!! And by the looks of the mess im not the only victim, went back to see if anything could be saved and counted at least 30 mirror glasses, 8 mirror covers and 3 complete mirrors...... thats a MANLY branch that is!

Screenshot_20170312-203511.png

IMG-20170312-WA0001.jpg

22 hours ago, benysound said:

I changed my OEM navi with a AM navi and was the best thing i did to my car :) 

20170306_152117.jpg

20170306_163030.jpg

20170306_162935.jpg

That looks like an xtrons android unit....identical to mine and is by far one of the best upgrades ive made.

Hairyarse likes this

Changed the CCV today. Pig of a job to do lol. The pipe that returns oil to the sump from the CCV was perished, the pipe from the engine valve cover to the CCV had a hidden split, the vacuum pipe wasn't connected anymore. This caused it to leak oil. Glad this has been sort. I heard people also change the dipstick guide for an improved version? Anyone know the parts number?

I was surprised at the condition of the DISA valve. No loose bits and still works well....even after 259k miles. Safe to say that I don't need to replace or rebuild this item for a while. 

Hairyarse and Jim Bob like this

Re-wired my passenger door completely (changed the whole loom) *just* to add support for a chromatic door mirror. Also confirmed that my new power-fold mirror doesn't support auto-dip on selecting reverse :(

Jim Bob likes this

1 minute ago, stuclark said:

Re-wired my passenger door completely (changed the whole loom) *just* to add support for a chromatic door mirror. Also confirmed that my new power-fold mirror doesn't support auto-dip on selecting reverse :(

Did you have the elec pack option initially?

Just now, Jim Bob said:

Did you have the elec pack option initially?

The which option?

I've got elec memory seats and my old manual-fold mirror it would auto-dip when I selected reverse.

I've confirmed that both the powerfold and non-powerfold passenger mirror controller support auto-dip, but the new powerfold mirror doesn't :(

Just now, stuclark said:

The which option?

I've got elec memory seats and my old manual-fold mirror it would auto-dip when I selected reverse.

I've confirmed that both the powerfold and non-powerfold passenger mirror controller support auto-dip, but the new powerfold mirror doesn't :(

Oh, so it should all be there then? Might need coding in for some reason, but you've deffo got the mirror selection switch in the right position?

Just now, Jim Bob said:

Oh, so it should all be there then? Might need coding in for some reason, but you've deffo got the mirror selection switch in the right position?

Yes, switch definitely in the right position.

The tests I've done are:

Old controller + old mirror = dips on reverse

Old controller + new mirror = NO dip

New controller + old mirror = dips on reverse

New controller + new mirror = NO dip

I've read in another thread (and sort-of confirmed by looking at RealOEM) that the auto-dip and non dipping mirrors are different items; they certainly seem to have different part numbers on RealOEM. And no, I'm not mistaking power fold and non-power fold in there

1 minute ago, stuclark said:

Yes, switch definitely in the right position.

The tests I've done are:

Old controller + old mirror = dips on reverse

Old controller + new mirror = NO dip

New controller + old mirror = dips on reverse

New controller + new mirror = NO dip

I've read in another thread (and sort-of confirmed by looking at RealOEM) that the auto-dip and non dipping mirrors are different items; they certainly seem to have different part numbers on RealOEM. And no, I'm not mistaking power fold and non-power fold in there

I'm stumped.

1 minute ago, Jim Bob said:

I'm stumped.

Like I said, I'm (unfortunately) fairly sure the mirrors are physically different :(

Front wheels off

Disc hubs and calipers wire brushed (with hammer drill attachment) and calipers painted hammerite satin black

Inside of front wheels cleaned as well as I could; they need a refurb, but look a lot better now they're cleaner and new centre caps fitted as the original ones were about to fall out...

Will do rear brakes and insides of alloys when cars back out from the body shop work (so in a few weeks time)

3 hours ago, stuclark said:

Like I said, I'm (unfortunately) fairly sure the mirrors are physically different :(

I was right!

I decided that I'd investigate creating my own power-fold auto-dip chromatic mirror by combining the parts from my original and replacement mirrors. - The motors and wiring are completely different in the mirrors which support auto-dip. Once I'd completely stripped both mirrors and swapped the motor unit from one to the other (then re-wired the plugs) I now have chromatic, auto-dip, power fold mirrors working beautifully :)

(and no coding has been required)

BarryM and Jim Bob like this

First proper wash and polish of the year yesterday evening - had to be done with such lovely weather.

Still scrubs up very well for a near 18 year old.

9 hours ago, Too late said:

Are they as good or better than the "Eonon" Units .I have worked out i will need the GPS aerial and DAB on etc But some say the glass DAB aerials are very poor at keeping the station 100% ?? 

I know one or two forum members tried the "Android" stuff and hated it and the poor build quality . Also Eonon claim they have a huge "Fake" issue with companies selling Eonon branded goods 

I couldnt tell you if the xtrons is better than the Eonon, the xtrons comes with gps ariel and as for the dab i couldnt comment as ive not bothered with that add on just yet, as for the build quality im seeing no issues with the xtrons, button feel good, knobs have a good feel and a nice firm turn to them, the touch screen is superb the only issue is the customer service sux should you need any assistance. And Eonon fake goods again i couldnt comment as i ruled that out due to running/(getting)outdated software.

In lovely weather yesterday, I got out my Meguiars leather conditioner and treated the whole of the inside of my car to some love.

WOW. What a difference. It hadn't been done in my ownership of almost a year, and being a black leather interior I was expecting to not see much of a difference, but I'm staggered at the difference. Especially on the high-wear areas such as gear selector and steering wheel. After I'd finished cleaning last night, there was a slight sheen to the leathers, which I wasn't particularly happy about, but this morning that had all gone, and left me with a high-class looking and noticeably cleaner interior.

Safe to say, most of my Autoglym products are awaiting collection by the refuse men, and Meguiars will be getting more of my custom in future.

29 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

In lovely weather yesterday, I got out my Meguiars leather conditioner and treated the whole of the inside of my car to some love.

WOW. What a difference. It hadn't been done in my ownership of almost a year, and being a black leather interior I was expecting to not see much of a difference, but I'm staggered at the difference. Especially on the high-wear areas such as gear selector and steering wheel. After I'd finished cleaning last night, there was a slight sheen to the leathers, which I wasn't particularly happy about, but this morning that had all gone, and left me with a high-class looking and noticeably cleaner interior.

Safe to say, most of my Autoglym products are awaiting collection by the refuse men, and Meguiars will be getting more of my custom in future.

Ive never been a fan of the Autoglym products and have been using Meguiars for well over 10 years and im still staggered with the results esp when i get a new car and it gets its first application.

Jim Bob likes this

Just now, 530d titansport said:

Ive never been a fan of the Autoglym products and have been using Meguiars for well over 10 years and im still staggered with the results esp when i get a new car and it gets its first application.

I used to e a valeter, many moons ago, and Autoglym is what we used and I got trained on. I guess I believed the schpiel for too long.

Inspection 2 and plenty of preventative maintenance including thermostat, lambdas and oil level sensor to replace the temperamental one that kept having a hissy fit, sending the oil temp reading off the scale whilst at the same time reporting that the oil level was low (which is wasn't).  Speaking of oil, and having read a lot of owner experience with different oils I've used 0w40 Mobil 1 this time around and the car is noticeably quieter and feels more eager to rev (although I appreciate that this is not going to be just down to the thinner oil).  I'll be keeping a close eye on oil use and characteristics in the coming months but initial impressions are good.

I had new Sachs front shock absorbers and Lemforder top mounts fitted by a local trusted mechanic as when I went to do the job as I fitted new discs and pads my ball joint breaker that I have used on a variety of cars over the last 40+ years would not fit the E39 joints. At 208000 miles I felt that the ride was getting a bit crashy over bumps but I don´t find that the car rides as smoothly as I had anticipated.It may be that I have forgotten what it was like when it was new but can anyone suggest anything to check out?

At the same time my key stopped operating the remote central locking. I plugged in my handy C110 scanner and it told me that there was a problem with the fuses and with something in the passenger door locking mechanism. I checked the fuses and all was OK. Before I tried DIS which I always have trouble with because I use it so infrequently I did a search on here and found references to reprogramming the key. I thought it was worth a try and lo and behold it worked and has continued to do so.

48 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I had new Sachs front shock absorbers and Lemforder top mounts fitted by a local trusted mechanic as when I went to do the job as I fitted new discs and pads my ball joint breaker that I have used on a variety of cars over the last 40+ years would not fit the E39 joints. At 208000 miles I felt that the ride was getting a bit crashy over bumps but I don´t find that the car rides as smoothly as I had anticipated.It may be that I have forgotten what it was like when it was new but can anyone suggest anything to check out?

At the same time my key stopped operating the remote central locking. I plugged in my handy C110 scanner and it told me that there was a problem with the fuses and with something in the passenger door locking mechanism. I checked the fuses and all was OK. Before I tried DIS which I always have trouble with because I use it so infrequently I did a search on here and found references to reprogramming the key. I thought it was worth a try and lo and behold it worked and has continued to do so.

One of these will get ball joints off in a E39

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SDRGYC/

Edited by IINexusII