stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

2,889 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

If I may just dip in.

What difference will the oil make if it is being flushed through? you can always use the more expensive oil to finish

But in all honesty who would pay 1200 to 1500 pounds to rebuild a box on a car that is probably only worth twice that much, it would have to be a S/H unit ?? wouldn't it 

The problem i see with mixing the oils is, would it mix or congeil? After seeing the yellow atf it clearly is a different fluid and not just a colour.

I would rebuild my gearbox, there are only 440 or so sport tourings left in the uk and mine has had so much spent by previous owner and the history is top notch, i dont see the point of a s/h unit at £250/400 (market dependent) that could fail in 6 months time. 

14 minutes ago, 530d titansport said:

The problem i see with mixing the oils is, would it mix or congeil? After seeing the yellow atf it clearly is a different fluid and not just a colour.

I would rebuild my gearbox, there are only 440 or so sport tourings left in the uk and mine has had so much spent by previous owner and the history is top notch, i dont see the point of a s/h unit at £250/400 (market dependent) that could fail in 6 months time. 

These GM boxes are almost indestructible, as long as the oil and filter are changed. As above, Dexron 3 or 6 are perfectly fine in these. No need for stupid-expensive oil, but don't skimp on the filter.

These GM boxes are almost indestructible, No need for stupid-expensive oil, but don't skimp on the filter.

My E39 has a ZF gearbox so I'll follow their recommendations if you don't mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally fitted the swirl flap blanks that I've had for ages. 

Car is on 193k miles and they looked in decent shape tbh but I feel less anxious about them shitting themselves and being ingested. 

Thanks Alex for the blanks 

5 hours ago, 530d titansport said:

There is nothing wrong with that point of view or philosophy, I have done similar things over the years myself with my Dolly and E28 but I do the work myself, I rebuild the engines, gearbox's, diffs, carbs heads whatever, if I have a mind to do it. Paying someone does not necessarily mean it won't fail 18 months down the road. However having the skill sets or confidence even the workshop puts you in the minority, the majority of people will not or cannot do it.

Given the choice I would fit a S/H unit in my 530d sport but not any old one it would have to be known if possible the car is not worth it.   

42 minutes ago, MadMack said:

Put it up for sale :mellow:

Was this the one on eBay last week?

1 hour ago, Captain Beaky said:

No not been on eBay, I was tempted to keep it and put it in storage as I know there is only 101 left would be a great car to keep but just want a m5 so bad now so time for it to go

14 hours ago, BarryM said:

My E39 has a ZF gearbox so I'll follow their recommendations if you don't mind emoji6.png

Great news if you do. 

BarryM likes this

11 minutes ago, BarryM said:

That video's worth watching/reading even if you don't have a ZF box emoji106.png

definitely worth watching it plain old common sense, so why have BMW not been brought to task as they clearly go against manufactures advise.  

Finally fitted my new bilstein shock absorbers discovered I need new rear tyres

Jim Bob likes this

Fitted LED side repeaters and number plate bulbs

Quick wash and discovered a few more dents :roll::lol: 

Took cassette head unit out and discovered a worms nest of wires, so will repeat, take pics and suss out what needs unplugging to remove the Parrot kit installed... :huh:

wow Is spring here?

There's a lot of good stuff going on this weekend 

It was t shirt weather here. Got a few long trips planned so thought the old girl should drive her best.

Will get tyres ordered and been reminded. Have diff oil and box oil on the shelf to go in

Washed both of ours and ordered a new drivers window motor/regulator as mines packed up.

Washed and polished, cleaned windows inside and out and thought about fitting my M paras on, but wasn't happy with one tyre

I sold it.....!!    

Why? I bought an ST tdci Mondeo a while back to run about in as I didn't want to do too many miles in the car over winter what with all the salt and muck on the roads. Obviously this then meant it was doing very few miles and I started toying with the idea of selling. I was chatting to the guy I bought the car off (who had it for ten years!) last weekend and asked him if he was interested in buying it back, turns out he was interested as today he turned up unannounced, made me a decent offer and that was that, off it went.    

So, my only transport is now a 4-pot diesel, wrong wheel drive hatchback, I don't mind though, it drives well enough, goes well enough, is pennies to run and looks nice and I'm as much of a Ford fan as I am BMW fan so although the Mondeo may not be the most exciting thing I'm happy enough with it.:)

Fitted power fold wing mirrors; now just need to work out how I code them to the car to get all my functions back

23 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Finally fitted my new bilstein shock absorbers emoji106.pngdiscovered I need new rear tyres emoji107.png

Had new discs, pads and calipers fitted. Scmeidmann pedals set too. Also discovered that I need rear tyres. And some camber bolts by the look of the wear on the NSR.

FB_IMG_1489323122238.jpg

IMG_20170312_173700.jpg

ellis23 likes this