stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

I fixed my poor fuel consumption.

Driving along Thursday at 30mph, cruise control on and felt the car bog for a second, thought maybe I cancelled cruise.

Got onto motorway up to 70 and it bogged again, definitely bogged.

Couldn't recreate it.

Yesterday, accelerate to 70 and it bogged for about 3 seconds, no response from pedal at all then kicked back in.

No eml lights on, gearbox still seemed happy as no clunking, what could it be? Easiest thing to do and try, as it won't throw up a fault is fuel pump, so I swapped the fuel pump out of my old 525 and into the 530.

My car actually accelerates now at what I would class as reasonable pace, no longer 525 pace, the revs don't drop under acceleration and my mpg has gone from 21.3 to 28.5 mpg, will even muster 34 on motorway now.

Quite pleased.

RE my last about the new brakes. It developed a serious wheel judder but I couldn't take it back due to ferry commitments etc. Checked it over myself & it's badly cut discs. They are getting it back to sort it out when I get home!

ineed to get the mpg sorted too, so any info re mapping will be gratefully received. That 'terra lean' sounds interesting too!

ive got to get the bits of bodywork sorted too, and I want a set of 18 inch 'tuning fork' wheels. 

15 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

RE my last about the new brakes. It developed a serious wheel judder but I couldn't take it back due to ferry commitments etc. Checked it over myself & it's badly cut discs. They are getting it back to sort it out when I get home!

ineed to get the mpg sorted too, so any info re mapping will be gratefully received. That 'terra lean' sounds interesting too!

ive got to get the bits of bodywork sorted too, and I want a set of 18 inch 'tuning fork' wheels. 

I'd personally recommend Enda Ward of http://www.endtuning.com/remaps.html as he's done my 530d. He's Sutton Coldfield based, but well worth the trip.

Get the Terraclean done before the remap is my suggestion as well.

Changed the fuel lines into and out from the filter on my 525d. Also put in a new thermostat. Fiddly but not difficult. The major PITA was disconnecting the hoses from the old thermostat. I know I am old school but what was wrong with hose tubing and jubilee clips. The click on hose connectors on the BMW are fine to install but a bugger to remove when they have been in place for a while. Luckily since I was renewing the thermostat I could afford to be a bit brutal with the old one to undo the hoses.

Just replaced the naff blue led interior lights that had been fitted previously with nice new bulbs and reset my airbag light with inpa then I gave my steering wheel a good clean and treated it to a bit of leather food, it's still looking a bit worn out on top but it feels a lot nicer in the hands, I didn't realise the wheel had tri-colour stitching too! Sometimes it the little jobs that make big difference. :)

Re my brake problem. All sorted now. Yippee!

Turns out it was the disc as I suspected. New, albeit standard discs fitted (at no cost), and she's totally judder free now. Lovely!

Of course now I've got to start on all the othe niggly jobs, but she safe and sound now. 

I love my bad girl again!

Yesterday - replaced the fuel feed and return lines to the high pressure pump, only to find its the actual pump itself thats leaking :(

Replacement ordered this morning, along with the tool required.

Front shocks, lower control arms, upper swing/thrust arms replaced, no more vibrations on the motorway/braking, feels nice and tight, very happy.

Used Monroe reflex E4624 and Meyle control arms & top mount. very happy with both so far.

both splash guards are shot though, so ive removed them for now.. does anyone know of a good cheap one that isnt too much of a fiddle to fix? the BMW ones cost way too much, thanks

Edited by IINexusII

On 05/11/2016 at 7:28 PM, IINexusII said:

both splash guards are shot though, so ive removed them for now.. does anyone know of a good cheap one that isnt too much of a fiddle to fix? the BMW ones cost way too much, thanks

This eBay seller has sold more than a hundred pairs of these aftermarket ones. I think most people by now need new ones by the sounds of things. Me and a mate included. I'd love to know how much you'd have to hack these to fit if at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272131125048 (M Sport only)

Bought some rear "60W" LED indicators from HID Direct. Thought I would try them out seeing as hardly anyone has tried them yet.

I shall see if:

1) They work

2) Bright as or brighter than the normal bulbs

3) Require no resistors

If I am not happy with even one of the three, I shall send them back. I will keep yous updated.

Bought some rear "60W" LED indicators from HID Direct. Thought I would try them out seeing as hardly anyone has tried them yet.

I shall see if:

1) They work

2) Bright as or brighter than the normal bulbs

3) Require no resistors

If I am not happy with even one of the three, I shall send them back. I will keep yous updated.

I think it's hard to beat the silvertec bulbs but be interested to see how these look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2016 at 8:04 PM, BarryM said:

I think it's hard to beat the silvertec bulbs but be interested to see how these look.

After hours of researching on Youtube, I decided to go for the 60W - from a safety standpoint. I had two companies in mind, HID-Direct and HorizonLED. The ones I had were HID-Direct and were £23 for a pair, while HorizonLED were £22 each, but this drops to £20 each if you buy more than one. 

The bulbs have a quality feel to them. As for the 3 factors i previously posted:
1) Yes, they worked.

2) Yes, they were bright as normal bulbs.

3) No, they do require resistors to stop hyper flashing.

Based on this, I can't recommend them unless you want to mess around with resistors. However, I will say that if you want LED bulbs (brake, reverse, indicators) go for 60W or higher. I will send these back and get the HorizonLEDs. Hopefully, the price difference will be worth it.

Video below: Passenger side = LED, Driver side = normal bulb. It does transform the look of the lights (more modern).

Sorry but I can not see the justification of spending £22 of led lamps for the rear lights, in the video the results look almost identical and if i  didn't already know I would not have been able to distinguish between them.

However her in Knickers noticed with out reading the thread, she must have special eyes!

Light intensity is difficult to show on a video like that.  The thing I notice is that the LED is quicker to react, so the flashing is slightly out of sync.

2 minutes ago, SplitBusVanatic said:

On that video, I covered the right indicator light with my finger while I watched the left. It definitely is a better flash and more like modern cars. Any errors with it ? 

Got you, its instant where as the filament lamp has an after glow

Finally got her back from the body shop with the new drivers door fitted, top job!

Just need to find a rubstrip nowWP_20161112_09_13_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.88edd

9 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

Sorry but I can not see the justification of spending £22 of led lamps for the rear lights, in the video the results look almost identical and if i  didn't already know I would not have been able to distinguish between them.

However her in Knickers noticed with out reading the thread, she must have special eyes!

Not only does it flash better, but LEDs are meant to last longer as well. Out on the roads, I can definitely tell cars that are equipped with LED bulbs/light clusters and normal incandescent bulbs.

8 hours ago, RichardP said:

Light intensity is difficult to show on a video like that.  The thing I notice is that the LED is quicker to react, so the flashing is slightly out of sync.

True that, and it was getting darker too. And they are out of sync because LEDs are instant on/off, while the incandescent glows on/off.

8 hours ago, SplitBusVanatic said:

On that video, I covered the right indicator light with my finger while I watched the left. It definitely is a better flash and more like modern cars. Any errors with it ? 

No errors with it. I do have the low OBC, though. It hyper-flashes when you turn on the indicators which is why I want to send them back get try the HorizonLEDs. If you switch the hazards on, it will flash normal speed.

8 hours ago, BarryM said:

Interested but what is this instagram thing.....I've only just mastered YouTube

Instagram is a photo (an small videos) sharing app. It's kind of like facebook, but with just pictures. I recorded the video on my phone and it feels like a lot of effort downloading it to my computer and then posting it up on here. I just linked my Instagram video on here because it was the easiest lol

Headlight adjusters changed using Depthoar's fat finger method. Reckon the old ones were slightly past their best! fa5b8f38028baff08b99fbe94b395c39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 13/11/2016 at 11:10 AM, jones73 said:

Headlight adjusters changed using Depthoar's fat finger method. Reckon the old ones were slightly past their best! 

We've all been there at least once..! There is also aluminium replacements being sold