timk

puddle in rear footwell

I've just discovered a puddle of water in the rear nearside footwell. Had noticed water dripping near the sill area when I opened the door a couple of times but thought  nothing of it. Obviously there's water getting in somehow but I've no idea where from. Window seals? Anyone had similar issues?

Is that not an issue if you need to access a failed window regulator?

I've just bought 4 new membranes and a roll of butyl tape.

How exactly does the water get onto the foot well anyway? I know it gets past the membrane but looking at the door, would it not have to fill up a fair bit before spilling over the door?

Put it this way, my membranes have been shot since I bought the car in June and the rear carpet hasn't been wet in that time.

Edited by DirtyHarry88

Well I don't know how it does it but this happened on my 540, CPC said it was the membrane, re-sealed it and I've had no problems since.

Plenty of posts about it on M5board if you do a search.

Edited by kobayashi

Having just been though the rear membrane issue I can describe exactly what happens.

The membrane seal tends to break along the bottom edge. Water runs down the inside edge of the the membrane and through the gap in the seal. This then runs onto the inside bottom edge of the door card and drips off straight onto the rear footwell carpet. It will also over time soak through the glossy finish of the wood chip/paper mâché type material that forms the inner frame of the door card.

Take 5 minutes to pop off your door cards even if the carpets do not appear to be wet. You'll quite often find water damage, hopefully to a lesser extent, on the inside bottom edge of the door card. A classic telltale of this issue is finding excessive water on the sill when opening the rear doors.

My own car had both wet carpet and water on the sill on the drivers side. I removed the door card and found minor water damage and a 3" gap in the membrane seal along the bottom edge. The seal was original and I managed to reseal it by heating it with a hair dryer. It took a couple of goes, testing each time by pouring water along the window edge. Once I knew it was sealed I dried out the carpets and also dried and cleaned the door card. I then brushed on a few coats of PVA over the damaged area to restore a bit of the water proofing.

Although I had no symptoms on the passenger side I took off the door card for a quick look. Sure enough there was water damage on the inner edge of the door card and somebody ahead attempted a repair of the membrane seal at some point. Unfortunately they, and I suspect it was a main dealer, obviously didn't understand the concept of how to create a seal and although they had used loads new butyl tape it was all fitted incorrectly and eventually I had to remove and reseal the entire membrane. The door card was dried, cleaned and waterproofed as before.

I ran the car for a good few weeks without the rear door cards just to ensure that I had got everything water tight before refitting them but I will pop them off every now and then just to ensure that water isn't making its way through.

The butyl tape for resealing the membrane is available from BMW and although it's not cheap at £17ish for a roll I couldn't find a suitable alternative and there is enough on the roll to reseal all four doors. I have the part number if anybody is interested.

The door cards are easy enough to remove although you might break a few of the plastic clips if these have gone brittle. Having a brother who builds Rolls Royce's is handy in these circumstances but they are readily available on eBay for not much money. IIRC I broke 3 out of 18 clips when removing mine.

Cheers

Neilf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having just been though the rear membrane issue I can describe exactly what happens. The membrane seal tends to break along the bottom edge. Water runs down the inside edge of the the membrane and through the gap in the seal. This then runs onto the inside bottom edge of the door card and drips off straight onto the rear footwell carpet. It will also over time soak through the glossy finish of the wood chip/paper mâché type material that forms the inner frame of the door card. Take 5 minutes to pop off your door cards even if the carpets do not appear to be wet. You'll quite often find water damage, hopefully to a lesser extent, on the inside bottom edge of the door card. A classic telltale of this issue is finding excessive water on the sill when opening the rear doors. My own car had both wet carpet and water on the sill on the drivers side. I removed the door card and found minor water damage and a 3" gap in the membrane seal along the bottom edge. The seal was original and I managed to reseal it by heating it with a hair dryer. It took a couple of goes, testing each time by pouring water along the window edge. Once I knew it was sealed I dried out the carpets and also dried and cleaned the door card. I then brushed on a few coats of PVA over the damaged area to restore a bit of the water proofing. Although I had no symptoms on the passenger side I took off the door card for a quick look. Sure enough there was water damage on the inner edge of the door card and somebody ahead attempted a repair of the membrane seal at some point. Unfortunately they, and I suspect it was a main dealer, obviously didn't understand the concept of how to create a seal and although they had used loads new butyl tape it was all fitted incorrectly and eventually I had to remove and reseal the entire membrane. The door card was dried, cleaned and waterproofed as before. I ran the car for a good few weeks without the rear door cards just to ensure that I had got everything water tight before refitting them but I will pop them off every now and then just to ensure that water isn't making its way through. The butyl tape for resealing the membrane is available from BMW and although it's not cheap at £17ish for a roll I couldn't find a suitable alternative and there is enough on the roll to reseal all four doors. I have the part number if anybody is interested. The door cards are easy enough to remove although you might break a few of the plastic clips if these have gone brittle. Having a brother who builds Rolls Royce's is handy in these circumstances but they are readily available on eBay for not much money. IIRC I broke 3 out of 18 clips when removing mine. Cheers Neilf Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Useful info there thanks. Do you have that part number? Is there any magic to taking the doorcards off in terms of tools required/ technique?? Don't want to scuff or break anything on my rather immaculate interior!! 

Part number for the butyl tape is 83190153321. My local dealer had it in stock and it was £17ish. Plenty on the roll for all 4 doors if necessary.

Removal of the door cards is fairly simple. I just followed the instructions from the Haynes manual. From memory:-

1. Remove electric window switch and disconnect.

2. Remove screw from centre of lock pull.

3. Gently lever panel away from door using a flat blade screwdriver or similar.

4. Pull door card away from door at bottom and release puddle light wiring.

5. Lift top,edge of door card vertically to remove from door.

The lock pull stays attached to its Bowden cable and you will need to twist it through its hole in the door panel to release it. You will also need to pull the cable for the window switch out of the door panel. It is held in with a wedge of foam and is easy to remove and replace.

I used a thin piece of card between the crew driver blade and door paintwork to avoid marking it.

Cheers

Neilf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just be careful if you have the rear door blinds, you need to remove the rear quarter blind to access a clip that's pop riveted to the door card and screwed to the door. If you don't remove the quarter blind you'll rip the clip off the door card. The quarter blind comes off by putting a small round object (very small screwdriver, bradawl etc.) into a small slot at the top, this releases the top clip if you lever it in exactly the right way.

Washed my car today and had the tell tale water on the sill. I popped the puddle light out and poked a finger in the hole and it felt a little wet so I pulled the door card off.

Yet again the vapour membrane had pulled away from the door. Now this was the side that I had resealed a couple of months back by reheating the existing tape and resealing it. This was tested extensively over a week or so before reassembling the car so I guess that once the butyl tape has dries out it will never seal again for any length of time.

I have l now cut out the failed section and resealed it with new butyl tape. I'll leave the door card off for a couple of weeks to check its all sealed but hopefully this time I've cracked it.

I think in future I will be popping out the puddle lights once in a while just to check that it's nice and dry in there.

Cheers

Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk