e60530i

vw golf r32 mark v

I'm not to sure if this is true or just one of them old wives tale's but apparently you can't have tyre's with different tread depth on the same axel as it fecks the diffs up?

Also I know the v6 4motion needed a run in service at a few hundred miles then it develops problems and the easiest (and cheapest at the time) way of fixing it was a replacment engine!!! :shock: but that was on the 2.8 lump not to sure one the 3.2?

The 3.2 throws off the timing chains...Or can snap them..

Haldex can pop..

Wiring is suspect,have seen a few with rotten wiring.

We did one where the timing had slipped because the chain had jumped,then it blew a hole in the inlet manifold..

today003.jpg

Turbo's on the 335i.....  

seems to be plenty of them giving up... We had a call this week asking to price up fitting a pair on a 2008 335i,i think you can fit them without having to pull the engine,but i gather many remove the unit..

HP fuel pumps give up..

Oil coolers 

Injectors

Leaky oil filter housings

We have a Mk4 2001 VR6 4motion, Mrs 540's car but she a bit concerned how fast it goes, bought cheap as trade car, full service record and 140k miles at 12 years old.

Few issues re alternator and starter but to be expected at the price, 2.1/2 years since bought and gave it a good service when delvered re haldex etc etc.

Good quality car goes well but thirsty around town but it is a 2.8 V6 lump and so far sweet engine/gearbox etc, good as most sport cars except the e type of course.

I think the Mk 4 well built and engineered but I am not yet a long term VW person.

Edited by urquattro

The R32 chains are at the flywheel end of the engine, so it's a major gearbox off job to fix it. Like any other ageing performance car, it's going to be expensive. VAG are possibly worse than BMW for overcomplicating things - the 3.2 V6 TFSI engine in the 04 onwards Audis has (iirc) four chains, and around 10-12 sprockets and tensioner blades - bloody madness all in the pursuit of having the shortest possible engine.

Mk4 V6 4motion is very thirsty given the average performance. Similar story with the R32

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Used to have a 2.8 V6 4Motion a few years back.  Sounded great, for sure, but it wasn't a "fast" car (that term is subjective though).  Certainly not fast enough for the fuel economy.  An R32 won't be much better in this respect with only 40-50 BHP more.

I swapped it for an Audi S4 (B6) with the 4.2 V8.  Different ball game.  Only a few mpg less (23 vs 25), but a LOT bhp more (340 vs 200).  

I would have a mk4 R32, just to try one.  I still think they are a nice motor, but be prepared for the fuel economy to power ratio.  I wouldn't have a mk5 though, they aint special enough.  Just look like any other mk5 golf.

With the costs of the motors mentioned, I doubt I could look much past another 335d if I'm honest.  A cheeky remap and your up into Audi S4 territory easily, keep it light on the right foot and your nearing 40 mpg average tanks (50 mpg on a single run is quite achievable if your REALLY easy).  And a nice, modern car.  I'll have another, for sure.  Granted it doesn't sound as nice as a howling V6 or V8, but it will go just as well, and won't break the bank in fuel costs.  Plus, I like the way a diesel drives to be honest.