MJM

Bluetooth retrofit into poverty-spec radio

That's a bit clearer but I like to understand what I'm doing, so the ZCS keys are what store the module list I assume. I'm doing some more reading based on your instructions and once I can understand what's being done I'll dive in. I'm sure I'll be asking you for a bit of clarification once I find out a bit more but very encouraged you've done this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another couple of questions:

• I can't find much about Zeko, is there a PDF or database that lists options and how that affects the GM ZCS key?
  • I assume you don't change the ZCS keys for SA & VIN

I might still be asking you to change my GM ZCS key but keen to understand how you got to the solution :)

I thought

Ulf 1 - Scottish

Ulf 3 - Welsh

Ulf 3 onwards English

That why no one can understand the first three...

I was going to do this on the old sport but sold the car in the end. Great right up and the USB charger is a nice touch. The stiff rod idea is very clever lol because I would have had the carpet up.... Well done

Barry, if you google "Zeko ZCS" you'll find links to downloads.

Also google "E39 Options list" for a comprehensive PDF from e38.org with all the option codes you'll ever need.

There are discussions on here about modifying ZCS using binary, and don't get me wrong - I love binary as much as the next man - but why bother when there are ZCS software tools out there at the other end of a sharpened search engine... :cool:

I've found the options list so that's handy but I'm damned if I can find a safe Zeko download as every one seems to come with some kind of dodgey exe so not getting anywhere with that :(

Shouldn't sub-directory be "Zeko" rather than "Zeco" ?

Also, edit line in Zeko.ini to read

$DIRTABELLEN             = C:\Zeko\Data

Rather than

$DIRTABELLEN             = C:\Zeko\data\Data

Edited by know-dice

Well that's got it working :) can't believe I spelt Zeko wrong  :oops: the program runs now but there's a bit of interpretation to do as you go!

I'm fine with the files in green but guessing the others:

Start-off date - is this production date?

NAEL - just keeps ?? in the field and doesn't seem editable

OC/CC - I've input the BT code that MJM suggested

Part number/supplementary - defaults to this

post-42464-0-35923600-1416656693_thumb.j

The 3 codes C1, C2 & C3 are all different to my codes read from NCS Expert as the car stands so I do have the originals stored safely, should I give it a go and if the VR doesn't work just input the original codes again?

I appreciate no-one will particularly want to say do it and then I screw the car up but from research as long as you keep copies of all the car's original files you should be able to get back to when the car worked properly 

Much too "hairy" for me...would go the Navcoder route.

I do have BMW Scanner 1.4.0 but no car to test it on :-(

Can you download the demo from here - http://www.bmw-scanner.com/?page=bmw-scanner_files_download and test with your INPA lead.

You will not be able to code the ULF, but maybe you will see if it's possible. In which case I can send you the proper programming lead.

Excellent, now that you've got Zeko working, you're on your way for a world of retrofits. :-)

But you need to enter the existing ZCS from your vehicle in Zeko first...

To use Zeko:

1. Hit F8 to move down to the ZCS area at the bottom

2. Enter the series (E39), rough production date (I just use the 1st of the month my car was manufactured) using TAB to move between fields. I don't think it matters what date you use.

2. Enter the three long ZCS keys from your car.

3. Hit F8 again to return to top part of the screen. It should now list all the options codes fitted to your car, according to the ZCS.

You can use the PDF of option codes to look up what these all are.

Once you've decoded your ZCS you can start to play with it:

4. TAB through the list of option codes to the first blank field at the end of the list.

5. Enter a new option code e.g. 0644 for Bluetooth.

6. Hit F8 again to return to ZCS and you should see it has automatically updated your ZCS at the bottom. 

You can then programme this modified ZCS into your car as described in previous post...

Enjoy. PM me if you run into difficulties...

know-dice, that's a kind offer of the programming lead and I was starting to waver.......but MJM has come good :)

MJM - that's the missing piece of the jigsaw and I really did try and find out as much about Zeko as I could but it seems to be like a secret club! Now I've followed your instructions I've come up with a modified VN key so gonna have a bash at finishing off the job (not sure I'll get it done this afternoon now as I've been given some even more important work by the boss of the household......)

I must say the options in the Zeko list seem pretty abstract compared to what the car came with (I have the original spec sheet) and I probably wouldn't have chosen 0644 as the code needed for VR and that's probably one of the hardest bits of this programming - knowing what is the correct option code.

And of course thanks to Jimmy for the elusive download

Will report back later.

Edited by BarryM

Hi Barry, the ZCS will hopefully allow you to see the ULF in NCSexpert, but won't in itself enable VR.

The ZCS is simply a recipe for the car, which happens to be stored in a couple of modules (Immobiliser and Cluster) for convenience. Changing it makes no difference to the performance of the car at all.

But the BMW coding software tools (NCSexpert, DIS etc.) read the ZCS from the car and use it to determine how to code the modules in the car. The next time a module is re-coded to the car, the coding software will use the ZCS to set the correct coding parameters according to the equipment fitted to that vehicle.

For example, if you fit electric memory seats/column into a car that had manual seats, the mirrors won't dip on reverse, and wheel won't raise on exit because the GM (general module) was coded to the car when its ZCS said it had manual seats, and these options were therefore disabled. If you then add the electric seat option code to the ZCS, nothing changes. But if you then re-code the GM to the car, the software will recognise that the car now has electric seats (from the ZCS) and will code the GM enabling all these features.

The case of Voice Recognition is a bit different though. This was a non-standard feature for UK models (not sure why) so was disabled by default when the ULF was coded to its original vehicle - and will remain disabled even if re-coded to your vehicle after adding Bluetooth 0644 to the ZCS. So to enable VR, you need to additionally manipulate the ULF coding file, changing SPRACHERKENNUNG_EIN_AUS from nicht_active to englisch_uk (or another language of your choice) using NCSexpert.

It appears that for some people (at least you and I, Barry) the ULF isn't accessible for coding in NCSexpert until it's added to the car's ZCS. Otherwise, we could ignore the ZCS modification.

The good news is that the first time is always the hardest. It's complicated stuff. But once you have mastered ZCS and coding manipulation for VR, you will have all the ability you need to do many different customisation, maintenance and repair activities on your car - all from the comfort of your laptop. :-)

I was aware that changing the ZCS would simply make the ULF appear as a module in NCS EXpert etc so know I'll need to go in and activate it assuming the new keys work. I've made a couple of changes using NCS Expert in the past to make a few options work the way I want so confident as long as the ULF appears!

Although there's quite a lot about this stuff in various places you do have to do your research and I couldn't have got this far without help, how did you find out how Zeko worked for instance? 

I'm confused, probably because I don't understand enough of this...

The explanation by MJM is very helpful, but...my E39 was an early face-lift with hard-wired GSM phone. I removed this and put a ULF (Mit SES) in and it just worked - SES as well.

Was this because the car had previously been "enabled" for the phone option?

In Barry's case the ULF was also recognised without changing the key, so shouldn't he just program the ULF to enable SES?

Will this happen when he uploads the new keys or is it a separate operation by the likes of Navcoder?

When I loaded up NCS Expert after installing the ULF module it didn't show up, hence me going through this rigmarole, just about to pop outside and try to update the ZCS key so will know if it's worked later.

Yep - the phone & Bluetooth is working perfectly but I just don't have the voice recognition working after removing the original SES box that used to work. I just like the VR so wanted to activate like I had before