gordon

What's your best range from a tank?

Have seen 700 miles in my 520d touring before filling up - says there was about 60 miles remaining in the tank. It was driving through North West France the roads for which were clear. 

35 minutes ago, dsgrnmcm said:

Wow 550 to 600 in a 535d!!! I got a 520d as I wanted to save cash on fuel from my A4 3.0Tdi, which did 400 to 500 on a. tank!

Should have got a 535d.....

I would of expected the 520d to get a fair bit more then 600 a tank.  Maybe something is wrong with your car?.  

10 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

I would of expected the 520d to get a fair bit more then 600 a tank.  Maybe something is wrong with your car?.  

Hi Enzo,

I bloody hope not! It has a FSH (BMW Long life....) But I had it serviced by an Indi last week (all filters and oil etc) tyres were also aligned, pressure correct. engine temp seems ok (needle sitting in the centre at 100) looking at the journey from Plymouth to Liverpool:

A38 steady 50 - 70, hit the Brum M5 car park (2 hours of crawling traffic) then we were diverted (Via Google / Waze) up the A41 to Liverpool (nice road, but not what I was expecting) left the car in Scouse land for 2 days.

Liverpool to brum was just under 2 hours, them bruh to Plymouth was just over 3, fairly fluid traffic, bit busy for a Sunday. 

I'll do a brim to brim when I fill up today. 

Photo was from the 1st leg up to Liverpool.

I have 628 showing on the dash as covered miles and 50 remaining (Fuel warning now on)

IMG-20181105-WA0002.jpg

Edited by dsgrnmcm

54 minutes ago, dsgrnmcm said:

Hi Enzo,

I bloody hope not! It has a FSH (BMW Long life....) But I had it serviced by an Indi last week (all filters and oil etc) tyres were also aligned, pressure correct. engine temp seems ok (needle sitting in the centre at 100) looking at the journey from Plymouth to Liverpool:

A38 steady 50 - 70, hit the Brum M5 car park (2 hours of crawling traffic) then we were diverted (Via Google / Waze) up the A41 to Liverpool (nice road, but not what I was expecting) left the car in Scouse land for 2 days.

Liverpool to brum was just under 2 hours, them bruh to Plymouth was just over 3, fairly fluid traffic, bit busy for a Sunday. 

I'll do a brim to brim when I fill up today. 

Between 50-70 mph my 35 will go into the 50's for mpg.  Which equates to 650+ miles a tank,   Crawling traffic will hurt mpg quite drastically for me however.

On longer journeys I always pump my tyres up.    Between 40-45psi all around depending on the time of year I go and the amount of weight I am carrying.

I find when I am on my winter tyres, my mpg drops a fair amount also.   So I always try and keep on top of my tyres as I believe they have a significant impact on mpg.

Also like I mentioned before, cruise control is no good for fuel saving imo, it is just too aggressive on the inputs.  

With Speed limiter function you save all the fuel going down hill but can modulate the throttle more for uphill sections and for me it is just as relaxing.

Eco pro mode on motorways for me is ok if you are staying at 70/5mph or below.  The coast function works quite well, but if you are travelling faster, I find it more efficient to be in comfort mode.  

My 530d has seen 800 miles on a tank. However this was only achieved as an experiment with some very long drives late at night doing 55mph (the lowest speed top gear is held in my car is 53 though). During the summer i rarely see less than 56mpg and often see 62mpg (M3, M25, M11 are very clear at night).

Some things to note:

speeding up massively affects MPG

ditto any urbn work

wet weather and cold also don't help.

I have motorbike for any around town stuff/daily driving

hhmmmmm

The 520d docent seem like the unicorn I thought it was. My boss at work has a 2016 520d and does a similar trips to me (Plymouth up t north, Plymouth to Portsmouth) and also gets 600 fish a tank. but our route is A, B roads, dual and M way work. 

My current man maths has 520d, £100 a tank for 600m. A4 3.0 Tdi (mapped) £70 a tank for 400m  so pretty similar £ to Mile. But the A4 was Rapid, Quattro but high tax vs the 520d, quiet, better place to be, bigger (a pain to park in Devon) less tax.

I was expecting at least 700 from a tank. 

I had a 120d (with the N47) before and that would always see 650-700 miles per tank and that was a smaller tank. (18 litres smaller). Car wasn't as heavy so your 520d does seem low from a 70 litre tank,

I forgot to mention, the engine was rebuilt about 8k ago, not really sure if that would / should have an effect?

Like I mentioned previously I do not run my tank dry due to A) I believe the dpf will not regen if you have less then a quarter of a tank of fuel (I was told this by a mechanic but I have done no research myself on this) b) I am worried of picking up crud from the bottom of the tank, the filter should pick this up but why take the chance.   c) if I breakdown but can run the engine and its cold outside, I want fuel in the car to keep warm :D 

So with that in mind, my fill ups cost between £70-£85 and I am reaching minimum 550 miles per fill..   Mostly fast motorway work.   

If you have had new pistons/rings liners/block and valves etc then yes, the engine could be a bit tight still.   Having too much oil in the engine will not help either.     If the engine oil level was ok after your service but now it is too high, I would get your oil checked asap.

I think the critical thing with the 520d for economy in my experience is too keep it below 78mph (where permitted). Even better if you can keep it at national motorway speed limits.

Anything above this makes it drink so much more fuel - tested when in France where motorway limits allow such speeds!

Hills will kill fuel economy too - I came back from South Wales yesterday and the average over the Heads of the Valley road A465 was about 38mpg - by the time I got home to Cheshire the average was up to 47mpg. 

i normally get 700-750 from a tank full (average 50mpg), driving weekly through London city in the morning and half of the M25 back, on a full motorway run i could easily get 800-850 (60+ mpg)

Like above doing more than 70 does start to affect MPG alot more than you expect, the gearing and mapping doesn't feel very efficient at that range.

21 hours ago, dsgrnmcm said:

Well this weekend I did the first long run in my 2011 F11 520d, I get 624 out of the tank.  Plymouth - Birmingham - Liverpool and back to Plymouth.

Sat at 70-80 in cruise control, very little town driving, a few road works at 50.

I was expecting a little more, maybe 700 from a tank, or am I barking?

I'd hope for more on that sort of driving. Assuming that you really DO mean a whole tank of 70 litres that only a little over 40mpg. I do mainly short runs, round town, that sort of thing and I get about 40mpg so I'd expect a lot better than 40 in a 520D on long run main road sort of driving.

Edited by Boba

On 17/10/2013 at 17:15, gordon said:

As the title says, I was just wondering the best range folks had achieved from a tank? 

Does anyone know if you can take it right to zero and keep going much? 

2012 F10 520d ED:  860 miles

2015 F10 535d: 791 miles.

Never ran either of them to less than 20 miles remaining.

Just got a G30 530d, will see what I can get from that once it's run in.  800+ miles is looking possible.

I will just have wait and see, I will be driving Plymouth to Falmouth, once a week or so, then the next big run will be Plymouth to Portsmouth in December, and from the new year I will be doing it every weekend. 

I get about 500 miles in my F11 535d, probably split one third town, one third very steady motorway, and one third “spirited”.

I once squeezed 650 miles, but my word that was disciplined and not something I’d do again!

31 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Lucky if I squeeze 600 out of a tank in my 520d, although I usually topup when it leaves me with 100 range!

On what sort of journeys?

My first fill up in my F10 back in Feb 2016, I managed to squeeze in 69 litres!  Range was down to 13 miles on something like an average of 34.4mpg.

IMG-1274.jpg

Normal service has resumed and I get a more normal 27mpg average.

5 hours ago, Caesar said:

I'll have to stop reading this thread; it's making me depressed! 

No!

Just remind yourself why you bought your car and I bet mpg wasn't up there when you chose it.

Lets face it if you were an mpg warrior, you would have bought a Bluemotion Polo and not a 300+bhp snorter!

I filled up mine today and reset the trip/mpg/average whatever and it was a satisfying 25.2 mpg!;) 

It was a bit tongue in cheek... My mpg is significantly higher than my E61 525i, probably due to the turbo, but still an impressive result for a heavier model with a bigger engine. I'm happy!

If I really want to keep up with the range heros, I can always add a second tank! 

Best so far has been 1450Km based on distance run + range remaining shown. Granted that was on a cross-Europe run in late summer with no time constraints. 100Kmh on the cruise, sit back and enjoy the music :cool:

General average tootling about and the odd bit of fun on the autobahn brings in an average 1150 per tank.

The BC has been sat on 5.7 l/100km for a while now.