gordon

What's your best range from a tank?

As the title says, I was just wondering the best range folks had achieved from a tank? I stopped on the way into work today with just under 806 miles on the trip and was quite proud of it! I could probably have gambled even more and carried on to work and stopped on the way home but the predicted range was going up and down wildly by that point and the fuel gauge was pretty much bottomed out!

Does anyone know if you can take it right to zero and keep going much? I had a Polo years ago and with a 32 mile drive to work I was half way in and the range got to zero, I proceeded to drive home again and in the next day before filling up!

These are fantastic results. I can get that sort of mileage only in a MW run and at 55mph. It will be extremely useful to know what is the driving technique that you guys apply to get that sort of mileage.

Regarding the reserve, in my 520d SE 2013 I estimate that there are still 3l in the tank when the fuel gauge hits zero and the iPhone Connected application also indicates zero.

My best mileage has been 682 mile with 3l left according to the iPhone Connected application meaning there were 6l left in the tank. The mileage would have been 714 miles at the time the fuel gauge indicated zero.

924?! How did you manage that? That's at least 60mpg across a whole tank! Must have started at 9000ft and drove to the sea hehe.

My normal commute is probably half motorway, quarter through towns and the last quarter flat country roads. The sheer number of traffic lights in the towns section is the problem! Having such a long commute into Glasgow means that the days I start work at 8 or 9am (thankfully usually only on a Monday) I drive to my parents' house the night before and get the train in to avoid the traffic, the rest of the time I work afternoons into nights so the roads are much quieter. This is fine apart from the fact that getting to and from my parents' house has a shocking effect on the fuel consumption! No matter how I drive I can't seem to visit them without wiping like 30 miles off the range!

My 805 mile tank had 2 trips to theirs' so I suppose I could theoretically improve on that, but work doesn't allow for that and my parents might get upset if I just refused to visit them for a few weeks for no other reason than I want to test my fuel consumption hehe.

As a matter of interest, and inspired by the crazy deals people on this forum seemed to be getting on them, I'm intrigued to know what a 530d gets out a tank compared to the 520d in the real world...

Here's the snap I took back in May (I was a few miles out and I thought I'd gone past zero range but evidently not)!

My drive then was A40 and B roads, sticking mainly around 55mph due to traffic.  I could go a month between fuel ups.  The OBC was wrong in the pic and has since been recalibrated (although it's still showing on the low side at 58.6).

post-42921-0-09512200-1382113715_thumb.j

Baus - I've just checked the fuel level left in the tanks using the hidden menu and am now slightly concerned.  It says there are 4.7l left in total but the display is showing a range for 6.7l.  

Also, my calculations show...

Total miles done on this tank = 823

Range on OBC = 82

Range calculated based on 4.7l left in the tank = 59

(Range calculated on 6.7l left = 84)

Why is this?

My 530d is good for about 630 miles at best but I do a very mixed bag re road type. Get much more in the summer and about 46 on a pure motorway trip at 80-85. Sorry, but 520D is far cheaper to run!

Grrr, that's not what I wanted to hear Sandip hehe!

I had actually attached a photo to my original post but it didn't work, guess it doesn't work from the phone. What I did notice was the range would drop to around 21-23 then sit there for a while then jump back up to 30-34 before dropping over maybe 8 miles or so before doing exactly the same again, like it was being drip fed almost and trying to scare me into going for fuel! The consumption worked out at 54.7mpg for the tank which I still think is pretty insane considering the size of the 5 series, the OBC registered it as 58mpg though so it was way out!

Is the hidden menu method the same as the E60? Does it not reset your trip in the process?

Figured I'd post the photo anyway!

post-44172-0-16059000-1382149469_thumb.j

Gordon, don't be put off by the modest economy . Think of the mahoosive grin on your face when you put your foot down! I'm sure that a really soft right foot would improve matters but then I'd say what the heck did you buy a BMW for! If folks are getting 900 miles from a tank and driving in a conventional manner then the 520D must be a truly incredible car. Occasionally I will try to drive really gently in eco pro mode but I just get really bored!

Good point Sandip.

I notice that the facelift 530d is even slightly faster than your current car, with 0-62 in 5.8 instead of 6.0.  Pretty bloody quick when you consider that the 530d was a fairly standard diesel model a few years ago.  Makes the 535d look slightly pointless.  Even the M5...

I've had the range on ---- many a time, they go for ages on it, most I've done is 16 miles.

As for a full tank, never filled any of the F10's I've had up.

Why don't you fill up? Pretty girl at the petrol station?

I wonder what these newer diesels will do with the EGR disconnected! Early estimates are that I've gotten a 10% increase from disconnecting mine! :)

what does the bloomin' thing do in the first place?

Mixes hot exhaust gasses (along with soot and oil) back into the air the engine breaths in in the first place. Is a way of reducing NOxes from the exhaust due to ever the increasing emission requirements. Reduces MPG, BHP, makes engine oil dirtier and more acidic, clogs up the inlet manifold with crud. Is also part of the reason swirl flaps fail and destroy engines.

All in all, it's s POS.

Btw, I've noticed the bmw website shows F10s with square angel eyes now... does that mean there are some facelifts out there with round AEs, or have all facelifts been fitted with square AEs? I'd be really peeved if people had been waiting for the facelift and they go and update the lights a few months later.

The squared angel eyes are the LED headlights, as far as I know the standard fit xenons still have round angel eyes on the 5 series. The 1 and 3 series have squared angel eyes on their respective option xenons though I think.

Mixes hot exhaust gasses (along with soot and oil) back into the air the engine breaths in in the first place. Is a way of reducing NOxes from the exhaust due to ever the increasing emission requirements. Reduces MPG, BHP, makes engine oil dirtier and more acidic, clogs up the inlet manifold with crud. Is also part of the reason swirl flaps fail and destroy engines.

I do not know were that information comes from. All technical documentation I've seen indicates that there is no difference in either mileage or power with or without EGR. The big difference is the level of pollutants in the exhaust gases. 

I do not know were that information comes from. All technical documentation I've seen indicates that there is no difference in either mileage or power with or without EGR. The big difference is the level of pollutants in the exhaust gases.

"Technical documentation". Hah. I've practically seen rubbish clogged up in the inlet manifold, I've practically seen the miles I get per tank go up (hand calculated figures) and a rolling road will show more power on a run with the EGR disconnected.

Why not disconnect yours and physically see the difference?

Well this weekend I did the first long run in my 2011 F11 520d, I get 624 out of the tank.  Plymouth - Birmingham - Liverpool and back to Plymouth.

Sat at 70-80 in cruise control, very little town driving, a few road works at 50.

I was expecting a little more, maybe 700 from a tank, or am I barking?

My last trip to Europe in September was to the lovely city of Krakow.   1000 miles from Calais or just short there of.  

My average speed inc some city work while there was 63mph.   Through Germany I am rarely below 2k revs in top gear.   

Depending on traffic I achieve 550 to 600 miles a tank and I do not allow my fuel tank to get low enough for the car to give me a warning.  Roughly 38-40 mpg which I think is incredible.

My car is the LCI 535d.    

Edited to add, Cruise Control is quite inefficient I find.    If you are trying to save fuel, I find it better to use the speed limit function instead.

Edited by Enzo503

Wow 550 to 600 in a 535d!!! I got a 520d as I wanted to save cash on fuel from my A4 3.0Tdi, which did 400 to 500 on a. tank!

Should have got a 535d.....