andy_ran

Andy Rans 911 (997) Turbo - Time to move on....

No we cant see it, however its a well documented failure point and its the only other area at the rear of the engine that could leak 

No warranty with mine nope. The cost for is far more than the repair will be. Whats annoying is its just a pipe that "pulls" out of a casting. A bit of welding or decent glue and its all done. However its at the rear top of the engine so its got to come out to fix

Really pissed off about it to be honest, it just seems like shoddy build quality on such an expensive car - But what can you do...

Here is a more detailed look at what happens but this is on the front part

Edited by andy_ran

It will be my normal guy that did all the work on my M5's etc - I dont really trust anyone else - Kevin is a total perfectionist and wont ever settle for anything but perfect.

I have found a thread where you can get to all the fittings WITHOUT dropping the engine. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/679277-diy-coolant-fitting-fix-with-motor-in-the-car.html 

The more i read, the more its annoying Porsche arnt saying yep, we f'ed-up!

Bloody hell

Hope you can get this sorted without too much hassle mate.

Seem's like you've got a good indy and a rough know how of it so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Well the leak has been found, the part cost £4

Work needed to replace said part.......

sub-frame-off.jpg

Engine-read-to-come-out.jpg

Somethings-missing.jpg

engine-out-1.jpg

engine-out-2.jpg

engine-out-3.jpg

So yes for a £4 part the engine needs to come out. I am a bit annoyed that such a corner has been cut when making the car, but hey ho...

While the engine is out its being treated to a stage 2 clutch that will allow for 860nm of torque and 620+ bhp so if i wish to tune the car I can. Also a few other service items etc etc

That's insane!! All for a £4 seal?!

Were you able to get an upgraded one that won't fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.5

I cant find any upgraded items in the UK and shipping from the US stacks up silly. Just genuine new ones. They will see my ownership out :)

Yep i am shocked too! a few K bill for a few £ part!

I did manage to get a really good deal on the clutch which saved me £600 :) So its not all bad

hahahahah

its a spend i could have done without to be totally honest. I could have left it leaking as i suspect its been doing it for a while but it wasnt right and if it where to totally fail i could be a lot worse!!

I dont as its such a complex shape. the other two are three way pipes. they are $500 from the us for ally ones - while yes i agree they are worth having i am not sure for the money they are needed - The parts man at Porsche said the original parts had been super-seeded by new ones, this may be a good thing 

How much of a job was it in the end?

Incredible that they allowed such a fragile part to be used that meant such large consequences (and if you took it to Porsche, cost too!).

I wonder if they made a cost:strength:importance type analysis of this part; they should have at least!

In this case it could have easily been justified to use a stronger item made from a 'better' material which would have beem much less prone to fail.

Anyway, glad it's all sorted for you. Were you there doing the work?

Are you doing the other water pipes as a precautionary measure or are they all good?

wouldn't want to put it back together only to have to remove it all 6 months later!

This is what I've found with Porsches. Parts themselves aren't dear as such. But to get to them is huge labour so you adopt a 'well as I'm doing it...' Attitude. Wife's 944 had a water pump fail but it got pump, new cam belt, idler belt, belt pulleys and some other odds and sods as they all came off to change the pump.

A clutch on bro in laws 993 became a half gearbox refresh!

Main dealers will tell you anything!....lol...

I will bet you a pint that when your new one turns up its identical...ha ha ha....

Yeh they will. We shall see on Saturday when i pick them all up

How much of a job was it in the end?

Incredible that they allowed such a fragile part to be used that meant such large consequences (and if you took it to Porsche, cost too!).

I wonder if they made a cost:strength:importance type analysis of this part; they should have at least!

In this case it could have easily been justified to use a stronger item made from a 'better' material which would have beem much less prone to fail.

Anyway, glad it's all sorted for you. Were you there doing the work?

Its a mission, Engine out and strip down most of it to get to the parts

Are you doing the other water pipes as a precautionary measure or are they all good?

wouldn't want to put it back together only to have to remove it all 6 months later!

Yes and everything else that has "issues"

This is what I've found with Porsches. Parts themselves aren't dear as such. But to get to them is huge labour so you adopt a 'well as I'm doing it...' Attitude. Wife's 944 had a water pump fail but it got pump, new cam belt, idler belt, belt pulleys and some other odds and sods as they all came off to change the pump.

A clutch on bro in laws 993 became a half gearbox refresh!

it does seem that way for sure. The list of small things we are doing is long lol