RichardP

I've just ordered a new car!

I did not spec the Night Vision Camera, can't really see the point, it only works when the lights are on!!

Come on guys, there is a very obvious unique feature on one of these cars!

Come on guys, there is a very obvious unique feature on one of these cars!

You don't mean...that silly 'brrm, brrm' sound box in the M6? :(

Gaz, put another round in. You might have to put me out of my misery as well, after you've done for Richard ;)

OK, enough.

It's the M6 Gran Coupe.

I initially was going to go for the 640d, but as bm530 said having considered both if I'd gone for the 640d then the M6 would always niggle in the back of my mind! I find it quite staggering that the 640d will do 0-62 in 5.5 seconds, which is only a fraction slower than the E39 M5, but has an official urban consumption of 58.9mpg! 58.9! Of course you won't see that in real life, but even so it's quite an achievement.

There are also some amazing discounts on the M6 at the moment, really quite significant. Without asking, on a stock car with no options you get £12,710 off list plus up to 4 years interest free credit with minimal deposit, with some options and a bit of haggling there's quite a bit more to be had. Yes it will depreciate like shares in Lehman brothers, but you only live once and it's an incentive to keep it for longer! I really thought the E39 M5 would be the last performance car I'd be able to drive, but this is another opportunity and I just felt it was too good to miss.

The M5 GC is significantly different to the F10 M5 in many small ways, which all add up to a significantly different package. The dash is more driver focused, it's not such a big slab in your face. You sit lower and feel more connected to everything somehow. The interior has a very special feel about it, the F10 feels OK, but it's based on a mass market saloon where most of the cars are the 520d. Yes, I'll have to get used to the DCT transmission but I'm sure I will. The engine of course is the same as the F10, but slightly different to the X5M and X6M, so is the transmission.

Finally, with the M6 GC, I hopefully won't feel the need to press the E39 into daily duties, with a lesser car that would be quite some temptation. I know, I've been there before with the 330d.

Not sure when it will arrive exactly, I'd guess it may arrive at the dealer this coming week for collection maybe the week after at the earliest.

Congrat Richard, good choice which i'm sure you will enjoy

Didn't know they were giving big discounts on these.

Can't wait for the pics and full spec :)

Also what's the specific difference or unique to this over the rest of the range?

Edited by bm530

Congratulations Richard, a fine choice. The great deals available at the moment are hard to ignore.

You get used to the DCT very quickly but for normal mooching about the auto function works very well. I think there have been some software updates to the throttle/DCT with the LCI cars, mine feels significantly less jerky pulling away and at very low speed than the 2013 demo carsI drove.

The 6GC is a beautiful thing, I hope you enjoy every minute in it.

Congratulations on having the desire to go for the M. The GC is a rare car on the roads, the M version super rare!