Mohum

DAB+ for Australia

Hi Guys.

I know its a long shot, but does anyone know if there is a DAB+ alpine module that will work in Australia. Been looking for a while. Would appreciate any input. to my knowledge the DAB unit doesn't work due the format of broadcasting is different.

There is only one Alpine DAB model, the TUA-T100DAB and that does not support DAB+.

Simon was working on an AI-Net DAB tuner when he died, I have an early prototype but it is not usable in it's current state. This did support DAB+.

There is only one Alpine DAB model, the TUA-T100DAB and that does not support DAB+.Simon was working on an AI-Net DAB tuner when he died, I have an early prototype but it is not usable in it's current state. This did support DAB+.

Thanks Richard for your prompt response. If there is any chance of it seeing light anytime soon, I will be interested and sure intravenous owners here would be as well.

Doing the work to finish the DAB+ tuner if well beyond my capability.

The only possibility is that Simons nephew might be able to take in on and get it to a state from where I could help with the AI-Net side. But there is no way that would be 'anytime soon'.

Well, the prototype is at a very early stage, actually between stages really.

The main problem was sourcing DAB modules. The best module are made by Frontier Silicone, but they would only supply in batches of 50,000 or more! So, we found that one of the quite cheap Sony radios used a Frontier Silicone module that worked in the right mode (they can be master or slave depending on the amount of control you want vs just pressing buttons). The first working prototype used this module and sort of worked. It's main deficiency from a usability point of view was that the AI-Net low level driver was very crude so it would not work with an AI-Net switch - the device emulated the AI-Net CD Changer. I used it a little in my car but it was a pain because it meant I lost the iPod while it was connected.

Simon found another DAB module manufacturer, Quantek, that would supply a few modules to try and them in batches of 100. Simon had just made a small adapter board that allowed mounting the Quantek module on the exiting board, he showed it to me the last time I saw him, he was changing the software to try and use the new module.

The DAB module uses an ARM Cortex CPU, which I know little about.

I met Simon by enquiring about the Intravee for my E46 330d Touring. He had shelved the project because the design was not suitable for commercial development and he'd lost interest. I persuaded him to make me one of the original Intravee 100 by hand and helped him to write the software to support the Nav system, at the time it only supported Business radio and Business Nav. After a few months when it became apparent that it was way better than any alternative he redesigned it to make it easier and cheaper to produce and I lent him the money to have the first batch made.

Unfortunately not.  I think you can assume that this is dead, there is no one that is likely to have the skills, knowledge and time to be able to do anything with this.

I have several of the Keystone modules (not on Monkey board) is anyone wants them...

We use the Silicon Labs Si4684 in one of our products, but it's mounted on a large PCB and not suitable for automotive use :-(