RichardP

Firmware V6.02-7058 and User Guide

What does the log entry say when the reported volume is not correct? There was already one 'pxa control, no ack' error logged with the 7061 version.

Right after the update, when I still had my computer connected, the terminal program showed again those weird -153dB etc volume request values I mentioned earlier. Just one entry for each time I turned ignition off and back to acc position.

Edited by TJ-BMW

With the 7058 FW

I checked the log and the majority of the errors are "poll expected but not seen".  There are a good number of "pxa control change volume to -99db, No Ack" and "pxa control change volume to -34db (or whatever), No Ack".

I definitely get the -99 more than the reset necessary errors. Probably 10:1

I'm not sure if this is diagnostic, but this was the first boot after FW update

Intravee By Intravention v6.02-7061
©Copyright 1999-2012, SPA. All rights reserved.
S/N 005544    
PGM: BL OK (O:0505 N:0505)
Clock TZ=-5.0, DST=1 AUTOSET=Yes
Lang=US English, Autoset On
Boot=2012, Recovery=16, Sleep fail=0
Runtime 14 days, 13:18
UI=6 Auto : Mk4 >= 4-1/40 : TV Override
Ready> 00:00:01.19 PXA detected
00:00:08.99 NAV detected
PXA Source set to 0x0021
Volume Set 34, wanted 38
Volume Set 38, wanted 48
Volume Set 38, wanted 52
Volume Set 52, wanted 56
Volume Set 70, wanted 72
PXA Source set to 0x0024
PXA Source set to 0x0024
Volume Set 153, wanted 72
Volume Set 153, wanted 72
PXA Source set to 0x0024

after I set the source to ipod (0x0024?) I turned up the volume.  What is the "set 153, wanted 72" all about?

The PXA Source is displayed whenever the port on the processor is changed, 0x24 is the HU port, 0x21 is the Changer port.

The 'Volume Set xx, Wanted yy' is seen if the reported volume is not the same as the requested volume. This can happen if the volume changes quickly as the Intravee volume has changed before the PXA reports it. However this does not cause a log entry and restart unless the correct volume is not reported.

The volume reported back from the PXA is in BCD, but the debug message just displays decimal. So "Volume Set 153, wanted 72" is actually "Volume Set -99dB, wanted -48dB". Why the processor should suddenly set it's volume to -99dB I have no idea. Probably going to need some AI-Net message logging to see if the Intravee is setting the volume to -99dB (I can't see why it would) or if it's the processor doing it after some other command. For example, a possible scenario is that the processor is muting the volume after a particular command, the Intravee needs to set the volume explicitly after this command, but it's not so the volume remains muted.

You have to connect a laptop to log AI-Net messages. There are far too many for the Intravee to store. It could probably store 1/10th of a second of AI-Net log!

If you have the FTDI chip set USB/Serial adapter, try changing the 'Latency Timer' setting under Properties, Port Settings, Advanced Settings in Device Manager. The default is 16 msec, try 2 msec.

idk if this is related or not but I updated to 7061 and my hd tuner stated to cut out every second and then when I went to scan another station it wouldn't pick anything up like the antenna wasn't hooked up. so I downgraded to another new version 7058 same thing so I went back to the last known working update 7045 and same thing. so I went back to 7058 and unplugged the hd tunner

power and it started working. but it was slightly different. in digital only mode I could actually switch to the radio stations other programming via m0 m1 m2 etc. I don't think I was able to do that before or never really tried it but it did this by the arrows on radio while the steering wheel butting actually changed to a different station. when I switched to local mode the radio will not pick up any stations and just scans. if I put it in distant mode everything is ok. I took a log of it.

The only thing I can think of is that when updating the firmware you interrupted the power up sequence of the tuner which left it in a 'strange' state. This should not happen, but I guess anything is possible.

The < and > keys on the radio will cycle through the various multiplex channels on a station if the Intravee is in 'Mux' mode, you can toggle between Station and Mux mode, so maybe while the tuner was in a strange state. Although I've not used the HD radio myself, because it does not work in the UK, I believe the 'Local' setting does require quite a strong signal to lock onto a station.

Hello,

The H800 ai-net reset fix of the 7061 version seems to be a little too trigger happy.

Lately I have had this happen few times:
I'm listening at low level (-40dB) and turn the board monitor's volume knob quickly to minimum (I use it as a quick mute function). This causes the Intravee to do a DSP init: volume display jumps to -102dB and then -99dB. And if you don't notice this and already turn the volume back up (wondering why there is no sound and turn some more), you will end up with high volume since the volume may jump to for example -10dB after the reset period (depending how much you end up turning the volume knob before sound is restored).

Looks like board monitor volume knob's steps are not always correctly decoded and quick turning causes the Intravee to lag and think that the H800 is not answering. Steering wheel buttons don't seem have this problem.

The problem is not going to be the Intravee decoding the monitor volume knob, if that was the case the Intravee would not be trying to set a different value. The problem is in the Intravee trying to set the volume and the H800 not doing it or not responding that it has done it correctly.

There are two critical differences between the wheel keys and the main volume knob.

1) The volume knob has a quantity parameter, if you turn the wheel very quickly it will send single messages that reflect multiple 'clicks'.

2) The volume knob can send message much closer together then the wheel keys.

I would suspect that it is the latter characteristic that is causing the problem, the Intravee is sending volume messages too quickly for the H800 to respond. It may even be that sending a volume change message to the H800 before it has acknowledged the previous one causes problems internally in the H800.

I can think of a couple of mechanisms to try and prevent this, I'll have a look and see what looks as if it might work best.

Attached is a new build with a change to the processor volume set mechanism.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FIRMWARE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PXA POCESSOR!!

There is now a timer set so that volume change messages can not be less than 250 msec apart. If there is a request to set the volume in the 250 msec window, the Intravee stores the required volume and sends the volume change when the timer expires. There should be no noticeable difference in the speed of changing the volume, just the steps that are set may be larger to keep up with the requested volume, I'd defy anyone to tell that there is 1/4 second gap between actual volume changes!

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7064.zip

7064 seems to fix the problem, I wasn't able to make the H800 reset trigger anymore. Thank you!

I do find that the volume adjustment is now somehow lagging, but I'm not sure if that matters or is noticeable in actual usage during driving. But is it possible to tweak the 250ms value to lower or does it actually take that much time before the H800 answers?

But one problematic thing (for me) is that now quick left turn of the volume knob doesn't make volume go to -99dB, instead it jumps just few steps down. Is it possible to add a function that decodes the quick turn and sets volume to -99dB?

OK. couple of small changes.

The timer is now cancelled when the correct volume ack is seen and the default 'no action' value for the requested volume has changed to allow -99db to be cached.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FIRMWARE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PXA POCESSOR!!

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7065.zip

I just started to test light control functions. So I thought of some extra things: please add 'door open' to exit triggers and allow also enter trigger selection (i.e. door open). And maybe add 'trunk open' to enter/exit triggers or even create a new light setup just for trunk open.

Hello Richard,

many thanks for the RLS option when it comes to the ENTER-light-function.

I'm really enjoying that function as an E46 driver!

But I got one strange "feature":

I only activated the "key-off" value as trigger for the EXIT-light-function.

That works really fine, but when I lock the car, the EXIT-light is activated again.

So far no one has been able to find the iBus codes for folding the Z4 mirrors, they may or may not exist.

If you have INPA and can activate them from there while logging the iBus then this may reveal them. As far as I know, no one has actually done this, they prefer to say that it's not possible which may not be true.

As far as I understand, the z4 doesn't have mirror memory modules like the E46, thus the mirror holding doesn't work.

As far as I understand, the z4 doesn't have mirror memory modules like the E46, thus the mirror holding doesn't work.

Neither do the E38, E39 or X5, but it's still possible on those cars.

On Z4, X3 and late E46 with ZKE5 star12 there is no more mirror memory modules since this is handled directly by the ZKE.

In such applications mirrors are wired to ZKE with a dedicated LIN bus.

I have a retrofitted ZKE5 star12 on my car but my car has mirror memory modules (particular case of retrofit and normal case for late M3s).

I've quickly played with INPA and under activate there are some commands to move up, down, right, left, flip in, flip out, memory 1, 2, 3, 4.

I didn't sniff commands with navcoder but I can try to do it.

Some deltas:

- My car is coded as an E46 with mirror memory modules (mirror functions not coded, X3 or Z4 functions not coded)

So if someone can do it on a Z4 it would be easier...

Richard, do you know if mirror control is OK on E46 with late star12 ZKE5 on Intravee?

Facelift coupes (except M3) have LIN bus for mirrors.

Only E46's with the mirror module are currently supported by the Intravee, with this module the mirrors are actually controlled normally over the iBus, they are the only cars that do that.

what about that:

Hello Richard,

many thanks for the RLS option when it comes to the ENTER-light-function.

I'm really enjoying that function as an E46 driver!

But I got one strange "feature":

I only activated the "key-off" value as trigger for the EXIT-light-function.

That works really fine, but when I lock the car, the EXIT-light is activated again.