RichardP

Firmware V6.02-7058 and User Guide

OK, so looks like Auto Close on the Type I is different to the Type 2, which is what I expected given the other differences.   Do you have comfort closing enabled by the way (keep the button pressed and the window close)?

So, basically, what you are asking for is to have three options for comfort close rather then the current On/Off :

Off.

On Lock.

On Lock Hold.

I don't think that would be difficult to do. Obviously if the 'On Lock' option was selected you would not be able to leave and lock the car with the windows open at all, say on a hot day when you might want the windows open a small amount, without changing the option.

There is definitely an option in the GM5 module that allows you to set all windows and roof to close every time you lock the car.  When trying to get my comfort close to work on the E46, this was the only option I was able to get to work.  (through NCS coding of the Gm5 module)  Wouldn't be a bad thing except that I like to leave the sunroof popped up during hot days...

Richard:

I loaded the 7058 firmware last night and haven't seen the -99db volume issue.  I'll have to see for a few days as I wasn't getting it every day.

I did notice a rather alarming new bug though: The instrument cluster lights are stuck on after I turn off the car.

Here is the scenario: Headlights are in Auto mode, it is bright outside.  I pull into the garage, the headlights turn on (as is usual).  I turn off the car, the headlights, marker lights and all of the other lights turn out except the lights for the Speedo, Tach, etc (ie, Just the cluster, not the backlights for the switches).  Locking the car did not turn them off.  Turning the knob to turn off the headlights turns them off, but they reappear when I put it back to Auto mode.  This persists even without the key in the ignition.

While in Auto light mode, starting the car, going into the intravee menu and shutting off the car will clear the issue (not sure what part of that did the trick).

Going into the Intravee menu, I do not have any extra light control active except for center brake light and turn signals active for 10 seconds upon door lock.  (same as what I had with the previous version of FW.

Any thoughts?

These cluster lights cause more problems than anything else with the light control, they are a real pain in the ***e!

Having said that, nothing in the low level light control message has changed in this build compared to the previous one! So I don't see why that should have changed. The trigger value only prevents the sending of the message and the retry should only kick in if no acknowledgement is seen. The only possibility I can think of is the retry. However, the diagnostic control commands should only be active for about 18 seconds at most, and when the timer runs out diagnostic mode is turned off so the lights should all go out.

Could you confirm that the cluster lights stay on when the other lights go out.

Will do.  I'm not yet able to reproduce this on command, but I will check next time it happens.  I can confirm, however that none of the outside lights were on while this happens.

FYI: I skipped a sw rev (was previously on fw version 7035 or 7038 I forget which) so the issue may not be new to 7058.

Still can't think of any change that would have made any difference to the cluster illumination.

One of the problems with the cluster illumination is that when controlling the lights you have to set the illumination value. The Intravee reads the current value whenever it changes and stores it ready to set when it uses a light control message.

It's possible that now the days are getting shorter that if you have auto light they are on when you turn the car ignition off. In that case the Intravee will have read the cluster illumination and re-set it with the Exit Light message. However, in that case it should go out when the Exit Lights go out.

No, the commands have changed slightly :

To change the lock delay time in seconds

exec 248 xx

where xx is the number of seconds to change.

To change the unlock delay

exec 244 xx

same as the lock delay.

To Toggle Unlock Lights

Left Main Beam

exec 241 0

Right Main Beam

exec 241 1

Left Dip Beam

exec 241 2

Right Dip Beam

exec 241 3

Left Front Fog

exec 241 4

Right Front Fog

exec 241 5

Left Front Side

exec 241 6

Right Front Side

exec 241 7

Left Front Indicator

exec 242 0

Right Front Indicator

exec 242 1

Left Rear Fog

exec 242 2

Right Rear Fog

exec 242 3

Left Rear Side

exec 242 4

Right Rear Side

exec 242 5

Left Reverse

exec 242 6

Right Reverse

exec 242 7

Left Rear Indicator

exec 243 0

Right Rear Indicator

exec 243 1

Left Stop

exec 243 2

Right Stop

exec 243 3

Centre Stop

exec 243 4

Licence Plate

exec 243 5

to toggle the lock lights between on and off

Left Main Beam

exec 245 0

Right Main Beam

exec 245 1

Left Dip Beam

exec 245 2

Right Dip Beam

exec 245 3

Left Front Fog

exec 245 4

Right Front Fog

exec 245 5

Left Front Side

exec 245 6

Right Front Side

exec 245 7

Left Front Indicator

exec 246 0

Right Front Indicator

exec 246 1

Left Rear Fog

exec 246 2

Right Rear Fog

exec 246 3

Left Rear Side

exec 246 4

Right Rear Side

exec 246 5

Left Reverse

exec 246 6

Right Reverse

exec 246 7

Left Rear Indicator

exec 247 0

Right Rear Indicator

exec 247 1

Left Stop

exec 247 2

Right Stop

exec 247 3

Centre Stop

exec 247 4

Licence Plate

exec 247 5

If you have any actions set on lock then it's possible. For example setting the mirror fold option 'On Lock' or 'On Lock Hold' will interrupt comfort closing, that's why it's best done 'After Lock Hold'

OK, could I ask you to monitor the error log regularly and see if you get any of these entries WITHOUT the lockup.

I can easily put a net restart in to the code when the log entry is created, but I'd like to be reasonably sure that the point of doing this is correct before implementing it.

I just checked the error log and there were again those PXA control errors but I haven't noticed that sound was missing. There was just one error per each startup, not multiple like when I had that no sound lockup. Maybe you could use that in your restart code, i.e. do ai-net restart if there appears more than 2 consecutive pxa control errors in the log.

During the weekend I did some service work, during that time my car was not locked (keys were not in ignition) and looks like there was this error every time I started the engine and went for test drive. There were no errors from today when I drove normally and locked the car after that etc. Weird stuff...

Currently the message is added to the log if the correct volume is not seen within 1 second of trying to set it. Maybe this is too short for the H800. A longer timer may then isolate the times it is triggered to those where a restart is required.

I'll send you some firmware with a longer time out and see if it gets rid of the messages on most restarts. I have no idea why locking the car would make any difference, might be worth seeing if that is a repeatable scenario.

Today had again that H800 volume lockup :(  I stopped to get gas and after that there was just silence. I used ai-net power toggle and sound was back. Later I did similar short stop but after that the H800 was still working fine.

Yes, I have had both issues within the last 2 days. (TJ's plus the -99 that requires a volume knob turn to fix).

I have noticed that it appears to present this issue more often at short stops than after leaving the car for extended periods (I rarely, if ever, see it in the morning when I go to work but see it more often when I am running errands).

Perhaps it has something to do with the 15-18 minute timeout after the car is shut off (the e46 keeps power to modules for 18 minutes after shutting down the car) and wakes up upon any indication from the outside world to pressurize the SMG hydraulics.  I noticed that the amp is also on for some period after shutting down the car.  My amp remote turn on is controlled by the H800.  Is it possible that the issue could result from a scenario where the Intravee does not send an init signal (or the like) to the H800 if it the H800/intravee was not shut down (due to the timed delay after shutting down the car)?

This would explain why sending a restart command (I've even had success with just sending the AINEt power on without even shutting it off).  I have also had success in some situations with turning the head unit off then back on via the left rotary knob.

FID is the rear MID in the E38 and E39, there is a change to how frequently the lower menu area is updated.

post-30340-0-83623600-1373365164_thumb.j

Edit : but of course you know that!!

The update frequency is reduced so it's only updated when the menu display flags sent by the radio change.

Spent much of Saturday night in the rear seat (attending a wedding, hired a driver) and can report that the FID (rear mid) performed well indeed. Happy and grateful for all the coding to make a feature that was never even an option in the US market work as if it had been installed at the factory.

Yes, I have had both issues within the last 2 days. (TJ's plus the -99 that requires a volume knob turn to fix).

You've had the -99 volume problem even with this build? That's just inexplicable! Do you have any PXA errors in the error log? If there is, what volume does it say it was trying to set?

Attached is some slightly modified firmware. If the entry is made in the log then the PXA initialisation sequence is performed. This may still not fix the problem as the AI-Net is not completely reset, but if it does it's a better solution.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FIRMWARE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PXA PROCESSOR!!!!

Could you keep an eye on the error log even if you have no volume problems and see if any entries are made in the log.

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7061.zip

Thank you, I'll test the modified version and report back. Please clarify about the log entry: should the log show PXA init entry every time after a succesful init or only after when some extra new init sequence is performed?

btw. I have dsp's volume shown in one of board monitor's text fields. I just did last test before upgrading and noticed that when I turned power on,  music started immediately to play, volume was -44dB, then the display jumped to -99dB, music was muted for a very brief moment and then volume went back to -44dB. Does that tell that there is/was something wrong in the init string order? This caused no error log entries.

I'll have to test more but looked like this new version always started at -99dB and jumped then to -44dB.

The log entry will only be created if the reported volume is not the same as the requested volume within 1 second of the volume set request.

So, the following sequence would not cause a log entry :

Time 0.0 Set Volume to -44dB

Time 0.1 Volume is -99dB

Time 0.2 Set Volume to -42dB

Time 0.3 Volume is -44dB

Time 0.4 Volume is -42dB

However, this would create a log entry and thus trigger the re-init sequence.

Time 0.0 Set Volume to -44dB

Time 0.1 Volume is -99dB

Time 0.2 Set Volume to -42dB

Time 0.3 Volume is -44dB

the log entry would be created because the request to set -42dB was not reported back as being set.

The first part of the power up sequence is to set the volume to -99dB, this is done so you don't hear the other settings being applied and the sound coming and going as the various values are applied. At the end of the init sequence the volume is reset to the value it should be. If you heard music, then it muted for a few seconds, then came back it sounds like you heard the sound before the init sequence kicked off. This maybe because the H800 was already awake and did not announce itself before it started to work. The initial mute should occur within 200 milliseconds of the processor announcement.