RichardP

Firmware V6.02-7058 and User Guide

Attach the file here or to a PM (select 'More Reply Options' or 'Use Full Editor' then use the attach option at the bottom) or e-mail it to Richard.parkinson7@ntlworld.com

Thanks! I will get this done this weekend. I also have taken a video of the problem.

Richard: Haven't received replys to the Intravee init problems PM message chain in two weeks. Are you just busy or did this board again make my PM messages disappear?

Sorry, just been busy and away on and off for the last 2 weeks.

Several of this type of device have been tried, none work well enough to use. There is a thread about them here http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/81014-30-pin-bluetooth-dongle-with-avrcp-13-or-greater-for-id3-tag-support/

The fundamental requirements are that it must activate the accessory line on the dock connector when paired and must support the Apple Accessory Protocol to enable track names etc. to be displayed. Most devices do neither.

Richard,

you have already applied daytime running lights in the intravee menu. The angel eyes are constantly switched on when ignition is in position 2, independent from the position of the light switch. Thanks a lot for this feature :)

BMW_E39_Angel_Eyes.JPG

If you code your LCM with NCSExpert or similar programs, the E39 supports another type of DRL ex factory. The high beams are being dimmed down to 30% brightness as long as the ignition is on and the light switch is in position zero. It looks like this:

drl-9273.jpg

Angel eyes are switched off, high beams dimmed down to 30% brightness are switched on.

Maybe you can add a feature that allows us to choose between angel eyes and dimmed high beams as daytime running lights?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian

Edited by fifficus

SpeedUp is correct, there is no diagnostic message I know of to illuminate the high beam at a reduced intensity.  There may be one, but if there is I don't know it!

Hi,

you guys have done some really good work! I appreciate it very much. even that it isn't quite
cheap you got some really cool stuff ;-)

Two things i want to put on the wish list, if even possible:

flash to pass like in le Mans. That the flash light does blink very fast (yes only the bulb not the xenon)

more options for the buttons to be reprogrammed: example button 1-6 to be able to cancel nav audio voice ! so that i do not have to go into the menu settings to cut Madams voice.

or that volume +/- on the sterring can be the scroll up/down.

Two Problems i do have with 7058
the blinkers are stuck some times. i have put them to 2, but some times on the highway
they did'nt quit! they just blink without ending, and i have to blink to the other side to get it stopping
This occurs often when audio is off/or the intravee is not the audio source
Switch to radio without any buttonpress.. the audio source just switches to radio without any reason

i'm currently on work to get some log files.

Edited by kombinator-318

I use voice control to turn off the nav commands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my Z4M I push the menu button, navigate to the instruction item. Then press and hold until I get a red bar across the speaker icon on the right.

A bit obscure. I had to look this up in the manual.

Hi,

you guys have done some really good work! I appreciate it very much. even that it isn't quite

cheap you got some really cool stuff ;-)

Two things i want to put on the wish list, if even possible:

flash to pass like in le Mans. That the flash light does blink very fast (yes only the bulb not the xenon)

more options for the buttons to be reprogrammed: example button 1-6 to be able to cancel nav audio voice ! so that i do not have to go into the menu settings to cut Madams voice.

or that volume +/- on the sterring can be the scroll up/down.

Two Problems i do have with 7058

the blinkers are stuck some times. i have put them to 2, but some times on the highway

they did'nt quit! they just blink without ending, and i have to blink to the other side to get it stopping

This occurs often when audio is off/or the intravee is not the audio source

Switch to radio without any buttonpress.. the audio source just switches to radio without any reason

i'm currently on work to get some log files.

another problem i have to report, ist that some playlists from my iPod do not work. Once selected i just got some 255 random songs an not my playlist.. Sometimes the playlist list is completly disorderd also..

i think this is a problem with the kca-420i...

Does some have a idea for a break out box? the kca is really very slow...

does this also work in my e46? what is the command?

Yes, if you have Voice Recognition, the commands are 'Instruction Off' and 'Instruction On'.

another problem i have to report, ist that some playlists from my iPod do not work. Once selected i just got some 255 random songs an not my playlist.. Sometimes the playlist list is completly disorderd also..

i think this is a problem with the kca-420i...

Does some have a idea for a break out box? the kca is really very slow...

Do you have video content in the playlists that don't work?

What would a 'break out box' achieve?

Do you have video content in the playlists that don't work?

What would a 'break out box' achieve?

Hi,

what infos do you need from the playlist? I can give it as a .txt or make video when i do select it.

It's simple. all playlists with audiobooks do not work. When i select it, the first and second item are shown in the submenu, then it does take 2,3 seconds and just a

bunch of random items are shown. I have removed special letter like "äüöß" and "-_=().," but it didn't make anychange.

there are no videos on the ipod. Only audio. Music and audiobooks.

if you like i will do a video of it if you like.

a break out box will be cool. to have :

more than 512 Interprets, a search function, a realated search function of the actual song, total tracklength, FASTER response, .. and so on.

i had a kenwood radio in my e36 with ipod function and it did offer the above functions..

is it possible to change the auto nav zoom function menu? to set expilcit the zoom for a speed range? as an example  0-40:200m 40-80:1km 80-120:5km  120-200:20km above 200:100km

my problem is that in the city the screen is always gray since the cpu is overloaded. but when set the delta_v higher. i have a too small zoom for highway use..

I think i do NOT have the "instruction off" option in my menu !

Edited by kombinator-318

Also another question:
Is there only you RichardP that does compile the Intravee Firmware? Isn't it possible to turn it into a opensource project? There might be a benefit for everybody if we share our knowlege?

Yes i know the CAN Bus commands aren't very documented, but if everybody does a bit of reverse engineering we can achieve more, don't you think so?

Hi,

what infos do you need from the playlist? I can give it as a .txt or make video when i do select it.

It's simple. all playlists with audiobooks do not work. When i select it, the first and second item are shown in the submenu, then it does take 2,3 seconds and just a

bunch of random items are shown. I have removed special letter like "äüöß" and "-_=().," but it didn't make anychange.

there are no videos on the ipod. Only audio. Music and audiobooks.

if you like i will do a video of it if you like.

Try changing the type of media of the audio books so they don;t appear as an Audio Book. All my Audio Books are just marked as regular audio files.

If the problem lies in the way the KCA-420i is interfacing with the iPod for any reason, there is NOTHING the Intravee can do about it.

a break out box will be cool. to have :

more than 512 Interprets, a search function, a realated search function of the actual song, total tracklength, FASTER response, .. and so on.

i had a kenwood radio in my e36 with ipod function and it did offer the above functions..

Maybe I should rephrase the 'what would a break out box achieve?' comment to 'how would a breakout box achieve anything?' Wht you are sugesting is replacing the KCA-420i with another device, in fact you might as well replace the Intravee too.

is it possible to change the auto nav zoom function menu? to set expilcit the zoom for a speed range? as an example  0-40:200m 40-80:1km 80-120:5km  120-200:20km above 200:100km

my problem is that in the city the screen is always gray since the cpu is overloaded. but when set the delta_v higher. i have a too small zoom for highway use..

It would be possible, but how would you design the UI for such a feature given the limitations of the Nav display?

I think i do NOT have the "instruction off" option in my menu !

It's not a menu option, it's a spoken instruction.

Try changing the type of media of the audio books so they don;t appear as an Audio Book. All my Audio Books are just marked as regular audio files.

If the problem lies in the way the KCA-420i is interfacing with the iPod for any reason, there is NOTHING the Intravee can do about it.

Maybe I should rephrase the 'what would a break out box achieve?' comment to 'how would a breakout box achieve anything?' Wht you are sugesting is replacing the KCA-420i with another device, in fact you might as well replace the Intravee too.

It would be possible, but how would you design the UI for such a feature given the limitations of the Nav display?

It's not a menu option, it's a spoken instruction.

Hi RichardP,

ok thank you very much. The spoken instruction ist "Hinweis" and "Hinweis aus" in German for 

"I find that 'Instructions' and 'Instructions off' work for me" . I just downloaded the SES Manual. Thanks for that. It might also deaktivate my speed cam warning, no?

my simplest suggestion would be to set 3 speeds  with 3 fixed zoom modes.

So you have the menu:

Speed1  Zoom1

Speed2  Zoom2

Speed3  Zoom3

the logic will be:

0          -Speed1:Zoom1

Speed1-Speed2:Zoom2

Speed2-Speed3:Zoom3

or the same thing with 6 Speeds and 6Zoom modes. If 0 is selected, it is just ignored. so one can choose between big steps, or small steps and also the gap between the steps, and the wished zoom mode.either.

Yes the "break out box" is a big demand. i'm just not happy with the biiiiig response delay. yes i'm crying on a high level. I have to shut up. better slow than not at all. ;-)

Also another question:

Is there only you RichardP that does compile the Intravee Firmware? Isn't it possible to turn it into a opensource project? There might be a benefit for everybody if we share our knowlege?

Yes i know the CAN Bus commands aren't very documented, but if everybody does a bit of reverse engineering we can achieve more, don't you think so?

Yes I am the only person.

If the Intravee was more like a PC or other device with large resources (Raspberry PI for example) then this would probably be doable. With the way the Intravee firmware has to work and given it's extreme space limitations this would be impractical.

Let me give you an example:

You want to add a new message that displays some text, maybe "Hello World", so you might add a line in C to copy this to the memory buffer on the Intravee for display on the High Cluster, something like :

strcpy(buffer,"Hello World");

This single line would cause many many problems!

First, the code that sends iBus messages operates using messages, you can't just use a string, you have to define a string in a table and use the ID to be passed in the message. String ID's numbers are limited to 1 byte, adding a string to the table you want might not be possible, you may have to define a new string table and expand the current string ID mechanism to use that new table.

The CPU used in the Intravee uses the Harvard architecture, many of the constants have to be stored in a different memory segment. Using "Hello World" as a simple string would consume a valuable 12 bytes or RAM as well as the flash required to store it. The Intravee currently has 80 bytes of RAM free. You have to define the memory segment that's being used to store the constant and use modified library functions that can access those segments.

Using a library function such as strcpy will cause the compiler to import various standard library routines into the firmware, this will use more flash and exceed the amount that's free. This has been down as low as 4 bytes, but is now a little more due to reorganization of the string translation data.

The list goes on, modifying the Intravee code is not a simple task, adding a very simple feature can take a long time and have unforeseen consequences - I know, I've been there and done that while Simon was alive. It's a familiar story with legacy devices and code, you don't want to start where you are now, it would be better to start over. I don't have the hardware knowledge or time to do such a thing, I just try and support the existing product as much as I can.

Yes I am the only person.

If the Intravee was more like a PC or other device with large resources (Raspberry PI for example) then this would probably be doable. With the way the Intravee firmware has to work and given it's extreme space limitations this would be impractical.

Let me give you an example:

You want to add a new message that displays some text, maybe "Hello World", so you might add a line in C to copy this to the memory buffer on the Intravee for display on the High Cluster, something like :

strcpy(buffer,"Hello World");

This single line would cause many many problems!

First, the code that sends iBus messages operates using messages, you can't just use a string, you have to define a string in a table and use the ID to be passed in the message. String ID's numbers are limited to 1 byte, adding a string to the table you want might not be possible, you may have to define a new string table and expand the current string ID mechanism to use that new table.

The CPU used in the Intravee uses the Harvard architecture, many of the constants have to be stored in a different memory segment. Using "Hello World" as a simple string would consume a valuable 12 bytes or RAM as well as the flash required to store it. The Intravee currently has 80 bytes of RAM free. You have to define the memory segment that's being used to store the constant and use modified library functions that can access those segments.

Using a library function such as strcpy will cause the compiler to import various standard library routines into the firmware, this will use more flash and exceed the amount that's free. This has been down as low as 4 bytes, but is now a little more due to reorganization of the string translation data.

The list goes on, modifying the Intravee code is not a simple task, adding a very simple feature can take a long time and have unforeseen consequences - I know, I've been there and done that while Simon was alive. It's a familiar story with legacy devices and code, you don't want to start where you are now, it would be better to start over. I don't have the hardware knowledge or time to do such a thing, I just try and support the existing product as much as I can.

i really appreciate your work! And i just wanted to propose my help. Given this infos i can understand why it is so hard work.

Wouldn't it be simpler to move on and do a upgrade with a rasperry pi? since you know now the ibus commands? Do you have asked directly some BMW engineers for CAN Bus documentary?

I have bought a arduino with CAN interface, but didn't had any time to play with it...

hmmpf 80bytes Free MEM. in my terms that is nothing.  since the e46/39 etc cars are a bit old now it is understandable that even the aftermarked products are at the end of life^^

Do you think the Intravee has achieved now the end possibilities?

Last question do you have some new updates coming? (especially for the e46)

Edited by kombinator-318

Hi Richard,

so you asked for the RPA-Reset Log.
It is attached below. I started the log(ibus on), then reset the RPA sensors with inpa and stopped the log(ibus off).

I do not have the RPA Reset Button on the Dashboard so after changing tires for winter/summer-time

one had to reset them with the notebook.

otherwise:
Do you have some iBus Documentation to decrypt the iBus?

------------------------snipsinp-------- 8<  -------------------------------

00:10:27.96 Ready> IBUS: 00:10:28.00 68 05 18 38 00 00 4D [4D]
IBUS: 00:10:28.03 18 0E 68 39 02 89 00 01 00 01 01 00 01 01 01 CC [CC] (SELF)
IBUS: 00:10:29.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:29.70 F0 03 68 01 9A [9A]
IBUS: 00:10:29.71 68 05 BF 02 00 03 D3 [D3]
IBUS: 00:10:30.11 E8 05 D0 59 31 01 54 [54]
IBUS: 00:10:31.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:33.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:33.64 5B 05 80 83 00 08 55 [55]
IBUS: 00:10:33.66 80 0A BF 13 02 00 00 00 00 00 29 0D [0D]
IBUS: 00:10:34.41 68 0F 7F A8 30 06 06 A7 80 00 30 A1 58 D5 E9 65 37 [37]
IBUS: 00:10:35.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:35.14 80 06 BF 19 12 54 00 66 [66]
IBUS: 00:10:36.51 3B 03 F0 01 C9 [C9]
IBUS: 00:10:36.53 F0 04 3B 02 30 FD [FD]
IBUS: 00:10:36.83 7F 14 C8 A2 01 00 50 55 23 00 00 11 36 05 80 01 94 00 19 08 35 35 [35]
IBUS: 00:10:36.88 7F 23 C8 A4 00 01 4A 45 4E 41 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 [31]
IBUS: 00:10:36.92 7F 23 C8 A4 00 02 5A 49 45 47 45 4E 48 41 49 4E 45 52 20 53 54 52 41 53 53 45 3B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7B [7B]
IBUS: 00:10:37.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:37.14 D0 07 BF 5C 38 62 FF 00 91 [91]
IBUS: 00:10:37.16 3F 03 D0 0B E7 [E7] (SELF)
IBUS: 00:10:37.21 D0 23 3F A0 90 42 FE FE 1A 78 0A 71 02 A9 BF 00 00 00 00 7C 94 00 75 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2E [2E]
IBUS: 00:10:39.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:39.77 F0 03 68 01 9A [9A]
IBUS: 00:10:39.80 68 05 BF 02 00 03 D3 [D3]
IBUS: 00:10:40.13 E8 05 D0 59 31 01 54 [54]
IBUS: 00:10:41.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:42.51 68 0F 7F A8 30 01 04 00 00 00 30 A2 9A E7 32 94 CC [CC]
IBUS: 00:10:43.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:43.63 5B 05 80 83 00 00 5D [5D]
IBUS: 00:10:43.65 80 0A BF 13 02 00 00 00 00 00 29 0D [0D]
IBUS: 00:10:45.13 80 05 BF 18 00 00 22 [22]
IBUS: 00:10:45.14 80 06 BF 19 12 54 00 66 [66]
ibusd off
Command 'ibusd off'

------------------------snipsinp-------- 8<  -------------------------------

btw i have the message: You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file when
uploading the log file as attched file....

There is no message to the RPA, so it looks like it's not on the iBus.

There is no iBus documentation for any but the most commonly used message, google search for a document called iBusInside.pdf.

I have a question about the music and playlist navigation.

once i have selected a Playlist , the items are shown, and a random song starts playing.

i can navigate through the entire playlist and selwct another song if desired. But how can i go back to this song selection if i am in the "now playing" screen ? If i go to playlist, and select the highlited playlist (the one that is playing) it start again this random first song...

again the question form above: is a flashing high beam possible? perhaps with one of the steering wheel button?

thanks again ;-)