BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

centre console removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikem

mikem
  • Locationfolkestone,kent
  • Current Car:E39 M5

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

are there any links to the removal the complete centre console on a E39 530 auto

#2 Liam79

Liam79

#teamdoubleglazing #teamcontours

• Platinum Members
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBedford/Stavanger
  • Current Car:2001 530i sport with double frikkin glazing :o

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Not aware of any online guides, but I've done it a few times and it's pretty straight forwards. You'll have it out in half an hour.

Off the top of my head...

• I removed the front seats cos it's much easier to get at some of the screws and to wriggle the console itself out. Sounds drastic but seats out is easy peasy - four bolts on the runners, electrical plug, 1 bolt for the seatbelt and unclip the steel wire for seatbelt height adjustment.
  • Remove front cupholders (two screws) then fingers behind the switch pack above and push it out, then fingers behind the climate control and push that out
  • Remove rear cubby hole under air vents (it clips in at the sides so prise out there)
  • Slide rear air vent down and pull out
  • Two screws and two nuts can now be accessed to remove arm rest and cubby hole underneath
  • Remove the two little carpet panels on the tranny tunnel (one screw then they slide back and off)
  • Remove triangle handbrake lever cover and invert handbrake gaiter out the way
  • Pop out black gear lever surround panel (easiest way is put fingers underneath it by pushing the gear lever gaiter down/under and pull out the panel)
  • Pop out hazard and lock switches
  • Unscrew and remove main trim panel including sliding door storage (or cassette holder if you have that). Having the key in and a foot near the brake pedal so you can move the gear lever if required helps
  • Now you can go round and remove all the screws that hold the console on - couple right at the front that are also through the lower dash, couple underneath where those little carpet panels were, couple (or just one?) inside near the gear lever, couple at the sides towards the rear (under little covers), couple inside right at the back
  • Now its a jiggling act to get it out past the handbrake lever. If I recall you can pull it back till its out from under the dash, then lift up at the front then move it forwards and past the handbrake lever
  • Refitting is reverse of removal :)

Hope that helps (and that I didn't forget too much or get too much wrong).

Edited by Liam79, 27 August 2013 - 07:52 PM.

pX03WoP.jpg

#3 Dotcom1970

Dotcom1970
  • LocationBillingshurst, West Sussex
  • Current Car:E39 530d SE Auto

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

• Remove the two little carpet panels on the tranny tunnel (one screw then they slide back and off)

That sounds like something fitted to Thai spec models...:lol:

#4 mikem

mikem

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

thanks for that will give it a try

#5 YNP

YNP
  • LocationDartford, UK
  • Current Car:2003 530d e39 sport, EGR delete, Mapped@256bhp

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE REMOVING THE SEATS... Airbag lights are irritating

#6 Raymond

Raymond
  • LocationRotherham, South Yorkshire
  • Current Car:Saab 9.3 Turbo

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

There's a few pictures in here to start you off with the trim. It's fairly straight forward though and the screws are very obvious.

#7 Liam79

Liam79

#teamdoubleglazing #teamcontours

• Platinum Members
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBedford/Stavanger
  • Current Car:2001 530i sport with double frikkin glazing :o

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Oh yeah forgot to mention disconnect the battery. That's probably cos I'm naughty and don't bother as I seem to be whipping seats in and out so much these days. You only get the airbag light if you go and turn the ignition on while you have a seat unplugged.

pX03WoP.jpg

#8 mikem

mikem

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

all done thanks for all the advice,did it this eveing and replaced it with a leather one from from a M5 to go with the M5 seats that I recently installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users