js.boisvert

Intravee II not working

I have a 2001 E39 M5 with MK3 nav. M-Audio system. Dice dsp, Intravee II and alpine KCA-420i.

My problem is that I've never been able to get intravee II working, it came with the car when I bought it more than a year ago. The dealer said that the 6cd had been changed for an Ipod integration system and that the previous owner said it was working properly.

Some weeks after purchasing the car, I plugged my old ipod classic to it and nothing. I didnt made a case for this, because I thought it was either the ipod or I just didnt knew how to get the intravee menu on. I found the user guide online and tried with another device. So nothing.

I checked the connection to the Intravee and it has power, so does the dice dsp device and every cables are ok.

Tried to update my intravee but it says something like "no intravee device or check the cable" PS - I use my serial cable with carsoft and it works fine, so the problem is not a bad connection.

Could it be a dead intravee module?

And I found a second 3-pin bus cable but it does not work either.

m6gt.jpg

second 3-pin

Any help is welcome!

Edited by js.boisvert

The other conector looks like it could be the power to the old oem CD changer, may be worth swapping it with the I-bus one that goes into the intravee in case some one who has messed with it has swapped them with out knowing.

If the second 3 pin connect has been used then the fuse in the Intravee will be blown.

BMW, in their infinite wisdom, located two identical 3 pin connectors (which have a key way to prevent the wrong plug going in the wrong socket if they were different) in the same broad location which are wired so that ground and +12V are on different pins!  Honestly, this is really, really stupid!

The result is that anyone plugging either 3 pin plug into a socket designed for the other type will blow a fuse (or cause a fire if the fuse is bypassed).

If you have access to a multi meter with an 'ohms' setting, try measuring the resistance of the Intravee fuse, it's located on the bottom of the board near the 3 pin socket.  The fuse is white with metal ends about 5mm long, it may or may not be in a holder depending on the Intravee serial number.

It was the fuse, tested it with my multi meter and nothing. I bypassed it just to be sure, and for the first time since I own the car I was able to get intravee on. I just need now to get a new 3a fuse. Damn, I dont remember were I left my old ipod.

Thanks RichardP you solved my problem, I've been looking for a solution for months. Too bad the intravee forum is down, I would've found info about the blown fuse.

BMW, in their infinite wisdom, located two identical 3 pin connectors (which have a key way to prevent the wrong plug going in the wrong socket if they were different) in the same broad location which are wired so that ground and +12V are on different pins!  Honestly, this is really, really stupid!

Just to fill this out a bit, the 2nd 3pin plug is used as part of the cars phone loom and is meant for the phone antenna compensator (active when a call is taking place).

It was the fuse, tested it with my multi meter and nothing. I bypassed it just to be sure, and for the first time since I own the car I was able to get intravee on. I just need now to get a new 3a fuse. Damn, I dont remember were I left my old ipod.

Thanks RichardP you solved my problem, I've been looking for a solution for months. Too bad the intravee forum is down, I would've found info about the blown fuse.

PM me your postal address and I'll send you a replacement fuse.

Great, but sorry it took so long to get to you.

No problem.

I just have some complications, my intravee serial number is 003167

I dont have the fuse mount, and while carefully removing the old dead fuse, I managed to damage the circuit board, now I have to fix the links before installing the new fuse. I'm pretty pissed at me right now.

Does anyone has the circuit board diagram or any pics?

Oh no!!!!

I'm away from home right now, but I can take a picture tomorrow evening and post it up for you.

It should be possible to lash something up, probably using a via as a good anchoring point. Could you post a picture of the fuse area of your board.

That's not very nice, but recoverable.

I think you have 3 options

- Get a new Intravee.

- Take your Intravee to a local electronics shop, they should be able to fix it.

- Send it to me and I'll fix it, I'll P.M. you my postal address.

On 7/4/2013 at 3:58 AM, RichardP said:

If the second 3 pin connect has been used then the fuse in the Intravee will be blown.

The result is that anyone plugging either 3 pin plug into a socket designed for the other type will blow a fuse (or cause a fire if the fuse is bypassed).

If you have access to a multi meter with an 'ohms' setting, try measuring the resistance of the Intravee fuse, it's located on the bottom of the board near the 3 pin socket.  The fuse is white with metal ends about 5mm long, it may or may not be in a holder depending on the Intravee serial number.

hello RichardP

I am having a similar problem my intravee ii serial # 003492 my works on and off some times I have song other times it does not turn on 

anyway I connected today and it started to I had sound but them a message engine over heat come on so I turn off car now all my lights are on and right blinker stays on . can I send you my intravee so you can replace the fuse, I seeing the fuse but I dont want to mess it up.

The symptoms you describe are not caused by a blown fuse.  It sounds like you have a problem with the iBus, disconnect the Intravee to eliminate it as a possible cause.

13 minutes ago, RichardP said:

The symptoms you describe are not caused by a blown fuse.  It sounds like you have a problem with the iBus, disconnect the Intravee to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Richard

I did but I open up  the case and try to remove the small fuse NOW I had no intravee

any ideas also I disconnected the from the IBus and it goes back to normal .

How much for you replace the fuse and update and test my unit PM me your address and amount