• Announcements

• sandip

Email notifications   06/09/2016

We are aware the email notifications are currently not working.  If you require any assistance related to receiving emails, please contact one of the admin team whilst we look to resolve this issue.   If you have any issues verifying your account, please contact one of the team on our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/forum.bmw5/   Thanks Sandip 
HV4

N47 Timing Chain issue highlighted on Watchdog - Relevant to F10?

37 posts in this topic

The programme talked about this complete engine failure affecting 1 3 and 5 series and mentioned 2006 - 2009, but I wondered if this is still an issue with the F10, or are we at least fairly safe from this issue?

HV4

Most definitely! I think you need to read my thread below this one.

Just a pointer this is my current fault code list:

IMG_1316_zps60d31bb2.jpg

Edited by Del Boy

Thanks Del Boy and Baus

Interesting that the article suggests that this only affects the E60 age cars, so I wonder if Del Boy's experience is just a chance event (impressive fault code list!).  I just spoke to BMW (not expecting much of course) who said that there wasn't a major engine redesign between the E60 and F10 - not convinced that they are right though given that the swirl flap design changed amongst other things.  BMW also did their usual deny all knowledge and 'sorry that you were worried by Watchdog' approach rather than admit to anything, as you might expect.

I really like my car and had intended to keep it until about 2017/18, by then it will have done about 100k miles, and then probably replace with the new model 5 series.  If this becomes a common problem, I may have to rethink.

HV4

Edited by HV4

I have just posted the PUMA doc on another Watchdog post here it clearly states that it affects cars up to 03/11

Don't know if it's a rumour but I heard the timing chain guides were redesigned from March 2011 production onwards. If so clearly they are more than aware of the problem. As most cars sold since 2007 are 2.0 diesels (116d, 118d, 120d, 123d, 318d, 320d, 520d) BMW are trying to bury their head in the sand and deal with each one as it comes up. Too big a job for a quick fix and full recall!!

Derek Mc likes this

Don't know if it's a rumour but I heard the timing chain guides were redesigned from March 2011 production onwards. If so clearly they are more than aware of the problem. As most cars sold since 2007 are 2.0 diesels (116d, 118d, 120d, 123d, 318d, 320d, 520d) BMW are trying to bury their head in the sand and deal with each one as it comes up. Too big a job for a quick fix and full recall!!

Spot on, exactly what is happening. Keep a full S/H if possible a BMW warranty and life will be good if you are one of the very unlucky ones affected.

Thanks Del Boy and Baus

Interesting that the article suggests that this only affects the E60 age cars, so I wonder if Del Boy's experience is just a chance event (impressive fault code list!). I just spoke to BMW (not expecting much of course) who said that there wasn't a major engine redesign between the E60 and F10 - not convinced that they are right though given that the swirl flap design changed amongst other things. BMW also did their usual deny all knowledge and 'sorry that you were worried by Watchdog' approach rather than admit to anything, as you might expect.

I really like my car and had intended to keep it until about 2017/18, by then it will have done about 100k miles, and then probably replace with the new model 5 series. If this becomes a common problem, I may have to rethink.

HV4

Definitely not a bad luck thing, a friend of mine has lots of these cars, and he also has had lots of engine failures. Some with 2012 cars.

Thanks chaps - very informative, but not what I wanted to hear!

I wonder what the chance of failure is on my car between now 38k miles and 100k miles when I was intending to sell.  My car has a service pack and will be maintained by BMW after that so I should qualify for goodwill.  I don't normally bother with warranties, preferring to take the risk myself.  Anyone like to have a guess at the chance of this failure - 5%, 10%, 20%... so I can consider whether extending the BMW warranty makes sense?

I haven't noticed any change in noise that my engine makes, but it looks like I should listen out for a change...

HV4

Thanks chaps - very informative, but not what I wanted to hear!

I wonder what the chance of failure is on my car between now 38k miles and 100k miles when I was intending to sell. My car has a service pack and will be maintained by BMW after that so I should qualify for goodwill. I don't normally bother with warranties, preferring to take the risk myself. Anyone like to have a guess at the chance of this failure - 5%, 10%, 20%... so I can consider whether extending the BMW warranty makes sense?

I haven't noticed any change in noise that my engine makes, but it looks like I should listen out for a change...

HV4

Mine made no noises, and then went bang, bear in mind that was after the timing chain had been repaired by BMW and the Crankshaft then decided to give up. The crankshaft isn't completely fault free after talking to a BMW Tech the other day.

Thanks Del Boy.  That is a concern.  Your situation does sound quite bizarre with 2 replacement engines in such a short time.  I wonder if your dealer is doing something wrong.

Perhaps the publicity that Watchdog bring to this issue will make getting a replacement / better goodwill payment easier.  Ten years ago manufacturers could get away with telling their customers that the fault was a one off and therefore not covered, but forums like this are extremely helpful in disproving that.  I would have thought that now this fault is becoming common knowledge, BMW dealers would struggle to defend a claim under the Sales of Goods Act in the first 6 years of the car's life, so would be tempted to settle a claim without going to court.

Unless people suggest otherwise, I assume that my risk of that failure is circa 10% up to 100k miles, and a cost of 0 - £5k depending on how soon it happens, so perhaps this shouldn't be a major factor in deciding when to sell?

HV4

My general approach is to run risks like that, and accept the occasional big bill, believing that I save more in warranty premium costs than I spend in bills over the longer term.  This is my 5th BMW and it has worked so far.

If my estimation of 10% chance of failure before 100k miles and 0 - £5k cost is correct, then the real value of the 4 year warranty is IRO £250 for this particular failure.  I would have thought that BMW would charge me £3k for a warranty over that time, although that covers me for other problems of course. 

While I appreciate that some prefer to avoid big bills, unless I have substantially underestimated the risk/cost, not taking the warranty still seems to make sense to me.

HV4

Anyone know how much a 4th & 5th year BMW warranty is on a F10/11? Have Warranty Direct cover on my Disco 3 & never had it pay out less than it cost. Was hoping not to have to do that with the BM but might have to reconsider. :(

Excellent, signed done!

Just sighned this petition myself , first post here so hi to all , i came from an E90 320d , which after i bought started reading about the swirl flap's saga , i had no problem with the car after doing 40k in it , it had 36k on it when i bought it from BMW Williams as an AUC , i bought my now F10 from the same franchise dealer with just 13500 on the clock  now after reading this carry on with the timing chain's i wish i went back to Toyota as i was going to do.

But in saying that , i rolled over the BMW warranty with the E90 and have every intention of doing the very same thing with the F10 ( A no brainer for me ).

Regards

Scouse

WOW!  Only had my N47 F10 for a couple of weeks and just read about the timing issues.  Just got a quote for extended warranty......Over £1000 per year!!  WHAT!!!!! :shock:

WOW!  Only had my N47 F10 for a couple of weeks and just read about the timing issues.  Just got a quote for extended warranty......Over £1000 per year!!  WHAT!!!!! :shock:

Covering the cost of a potential engine failure maybe?

Covering the cost of a potential engine failure maybe?

Perhaps they should offer it as an optional upgrade?.....  

"Sir, we know you are buying an expensive luxury car built by one of the most reputed manufacturers in the world, but you will need to pay £1000 every year as your engine is likely to fail due to poor design.  Just sign here sir....."

I wonder if they featured the fault in their sales brochures and marketing campaigns, how many they would have sold?

Not sure why you have been quoted £1000.  I have just been quoted £521 by BMW for their DriveLine cover, which includes the engine transmission and drivetrain, and includes BMW Emergency Service.  The Comprehensive cover is £756.  I'm not sure that I will take them up on this though.  This is based on a car with less than 50k miles.

I think BMW's Emergency Service is feeble, having called them three times over the last 15 years.  On two of those occasions they sent out third party recovery firms who were utterly clueless - either not bringing the required parts they were asked for, or being so workshy that they had to be pushed into doing their job.  I assume they must be paid for turning up, and having to actually do anything is too much like hard work.

HV4

That is quite a difference, but roughly in proportion to the relative cost of the cars I suppose.

My car is 3 years old in about 3 weeks and was in for its first MOT and end of warranty check yesterday.  I spoke to the service manager who I know quite well and trust, about the timing chain issue.  His view was that the only failures tend to be at very high mileages and often when not properly maintained.  If he had been trying to sell me a car, I would take this with a pinch of salt, but in this case he suggested not taking the extended warranty.  BMW would cover the vast majority of the repair if it happens to a lowish mileage car under 6 years old which has been maintained by BMW apparently.  My car currently has 43k and I am adding about 12k per year at the moment.

I had recently considered replacing it with a 530d MSport facelift, but cooled off the idea once I had heard their trade in offer.  I might hang on for the new 5 series in 3/4 years.

HV4

Edited by HV4