GrahamT

Rear wiper issue with my 2006 e61

11 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Can anyone please help, I am struggling to get the rear wiper AND rear washer jet to work on my 525d touring. I have had previous issues with the wiring in the hinges if the boot (cracked & broken wires) I have repaired these and can not see any problems with the wires. I'm pulling my hair out...... All fuses are fine....could both the washer jet pump and motor need replacing??

PLEASE HELP!

HI Don't have a solution yet but can share the problem. I have an 06 E61, a couple of months ago the radio packed up so I replace the Diversity amp, no problem works now.

BUT since then the rear wiper and washer doesn't work.

So this morning  I ripped out the RH side tailgate wiring and low and behold, both the heavy current wires to the wiper had the insulation split plus another lighter red/ white wire.

However they were still conducting. Could have possibly had a short though. repaired that and still no change ?

Have tested the motor , works fine. All the fuses are fine.

I just noticed I have a "service have it checked " Thing on the display.

I'm thinking that as neither the washer or wiper works, and they normally work in tandem, that maybe the wire shorted and caused the system to turn them off. I am looking into this further but like you im mystified at present.

Mike Clarke

Thank you for your input! Greatly appreciated! Can I ask, how did you test the motor? Have you managed to test the plug to see if there is current in the cable to the motor?

Hi, The wiper plug has 3 wires, The thick brown one is 12 V, the thin one is the wiper parking signal and the other O V. I just put 12 volts across the thick brown one and the other one. The motor goes so its OK.

I am not getting any volts to the connector when I push the switch. I have ordered an OBD diagnostic reader which will be here later in the week. 

I don't have any wiring diagrams so I am a bit in the dark but I suspect there is a relay between the ECU and the wiper. As the fuse is OK this is my next bet I just need to find where ( IF)  they are.

This Forum is brilliant, just looked it up and apparently its under the pollen filter box.? It that is the fault then its an easy plug in fix. If not I can toggle the relay to make the wiper work. Then I'm down to column switch or ECU etc.  The only thing I don't understand is that this all started when I replaced the Diversity amp !

Also since then I have a few other faults,( like the internal lights don't go off automatically), so I have decided to rewire both sides. Just looking at some repair harnesses from a company In Birmingham, not sure what value they are at present.

The sight of those two bare 2.5mm wires in that tube has cured me of BMR's for good. Any respectable maker would have ordered a recall by now. 

Mike! Please please let me know how you get on!....any pictures would be fantastic, I'm not very mechanically minded but finding myself doing more to my own car with help from this forum, and great feedback...and if in doubt....'google it'

I had an issue also with the diversity module for the remote central locking, this got wet when jet washing the car, so I had to remove the rear spoiler, take the module out and dry it, since then I ALSO have problems with the interior lights, the boot lights stay on constant and the interior lights will not go off automatically! It seems we are in the same boat!

I'm with you on the whole recall thing

Have a look at this, this helped with the tailgate wiring problem....http://forumai.bmw-klubas.lt/download/file.php?id=43803&sid=e71d19d4dc91e33e77eb88e23e09b0a4

Well just an update. E61 van 2006 almost 40K miles

I spent most of Sunday and rewired all the wires through the ducts to the tailgate. I found only the RHH side ones going to the Wiper motor were badly cracked but not completely broken. Several were  badly kinked so I just did the lot.

I asked BMW Cotswold for a replacement loom cost and they quoted over £1200. Yes £1200. Still not sure if we had our wires crossed! So I bought a repair kit from a company called KMS in Birmingham advertising on Ebay. It cost about £100 and covered all 3 looms. The fourth ( inner left ) loom is  only a large earth wire and coaxial to the radio amp which is under the spoiler at the top and this was fine.

The kit was fine if a bit on the high side for what it was. It was advertised as having all the correct colour coded wires, which it did not but basically there was enough choice to work out a colour scheme. It came with all the correct crimp joints but I decide to solder and heat shrink all the wires in the end.  The good thing is that the kit contains all silicone high temperature extra flexible wire. To think I could have spent £1200 on a  BMW loom and have it go again in 2-3 years just makes my blood boil. I also left a bit more slack in the new looms and at least a know that's sorted. One tip for this work, buy some new plastic rivets before hand to hold the trunks to the hinge base. They only cost 50p, part number 61 11 6 945 528.        Secondly cut two small squares of corrugated cardboard and jam them into the tailgate dock and also into the glass dock. You do not want to shut the glass of tailgate once the wires are cut off as you continually need to open and close the lid and glass.!!! be warned.

So still no change, no rear wiper / wash and my interior lights stay on,  so have been trying to trace the Wiper relay. I had to ask a stealer and they told me its either under the glove box fuse unit if I have a medium spec car OR if I have a high spec car its under the cabin filter LHS in the control box. Obviously BMW don't make low spec cars ! and I feel much better now because I have a high spec car !  Its a long brown relay in the control box and it tested out fine. I suspect this is for the front wiper only down to the number of contacts.

So have been frantically searching round Google for more clues when I hit upon one. On vans the rear wash wipe is controlled by the body control unit, which is apparently in the spare wheel well on a van. Now having read all I can I read that the rear wash wipe is disabled if the boot glass is open, for obvious reasons. If the car thinks the rear glass is open, it probably won't turn off the interior lights either! Not sure if or why it does not flash a warning on the dash though.

So my next line is to look at the glass locking switch to see if I can work out how it knows if the glass is shut and if needs be replace it ! I also just remembered that the top popped off the switch when I was working at replacing the Diversity Amp. The rear wiper thing started immediately after.  At least I feel some light at the end of the tunnel.

Will keep you up to date further but have to do a bit of work this week to start saving for the wife's replacement car.

Also I wont elucidate here but I think I have seen a very vulnerable way to get into an E61 van in about 5 seconds! 

Hi Graham, I fixed it. - Further update.

The glass lock device has a small microswitch inside which a cam to operate it to let the BCM know the glass is closed. This was duff, no question.

You can simply buy a new module, two screws and a plug, once you have the boot liner off, or you can save aload and buy anew switch. I have identified the switch, its a Marquardt 1055-055 but RS have a 1055-0351 RS part number 741-0984 which does the job fine. You will need to be able to solder it in place but if you can solder no problem.  However this did not fix it !!

So next I removed the -ve battery terminal and put the battery on charge overnight. Next day I connected the battery, drove a couple of miles to reset the system, - tyre pressure set up etc and low and behold the wiper works AND the interior lights go out !!

All done.......... not so, the blxxxxxy boot popped open on its own. It turns out that the boot is not now closing properly on the motor. I guess its simply the boot lock unit, Ill just buy one and fit it get a new MOT and then trade the dam thing in.

Frankly Ill be glad to see the back of it.

Hope this is some help Graham,

Good luck.!

Blimey ! that's worth knowing - so the micro switch in the glass lid stops the wiper / washer working when it breaks ? Is that right or did I get the wrong end of the stick ?

Yes if the Body Control Module thinks the glass is open it wont let you use the rear wash wiper. Try it ! 

Maybe also if the tailgate is not shut as well, ill try it.

If the switch in the lock has failed it will almost always fail open circuit.

The switch is actually in the tailgate lock module screwed on the side of the Wiper motor.

Yes if the Body Control Module thinks the glass is open it wont let you use the rear wash wiper. Try it ! 

Maybe also if the tailgate is not shut as well, ill try it.

If the switch in the lock has failed it will almost always fail open circuit.

The switch is actually in the tailgate lock module screwed on the side of the Wiper motor.

OK, cool, thank for the info. These kinds of problem can drive you mad - so that's one I'll keep the the memory banks. My kids have a habit of slamming the glass section, so I'm expecting a switch failure if the glass doesn't break first !!! 

my brother has the same issue with his 520d lci E61, so I'll let him know. cheers for the info.