DaveTheMus

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow and wondering what I should look out for?

Hi guys, I'm 30, live in Glasgow and have owned many cars over the years. The most enjoyable car I've ever owned was a Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i 16v redtop, loved that car. Since 2008 I owned a C280 W202, it was a really nice car, I was a regular on the Merc forums, then after a mishap with some after market wheels I had to scrap the car, I bought a really rough E39 523i just as a runaround and I was hooked after a drive up the A9 through Glencoe, even though the MPG is terrible and the buttons and trim in the cabin are so cheap they sometimes fall off in your hands, the way you can throw it around on a country road makes it all worth it. But as I said it was really rough and I scrapped it rather than waste money on an MOT. That was about 6 months ago and I've been scouring the internet looking for a nice straight 39 near Glasgow. 

I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow. What should I be checking for?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305317035974/sort/locasc/usedcars/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/fuel-type/petrol/model/5_series/make/bmw/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/g314st/page/2/radius/100?logcode=p

PS. I posted this in the wrong section initially, apologies.

Looks good.Check for rust at front of sills (sort of where the mudflaps would be if they were fitted) and round the boot lock and panel directly below boot lid.Also a hidden area on the e39 is behind the 4 rubber jack locating pads, whip them off and check there too.

Cooling systems often need an overhall at about 100000 miles, check the level while cold and make sure the temp guage sits bang upright when warm, if it runs cold suspect the electronic thermostat to be on it's last legs.

Make sure autobox behaves as it should, should be smooth and instant with each change.

Oh and if it's a well cared for example nothing should come off in your hand, these cars are extremely well put together, buy a good one and you will love it. Even got an appropriate number plate I see.

Iv just bought one the same but manual mate and get 30mpg average it's a fantastic car and you will not be disappointed by the sport at all! So much better than the se!

As said mainly just check for rust and make sure all the lights light up on the instrument panel when starting and no bulbs have been pulled

I previously owned a 51 plate 525i Sport auto which i bought with the same miles as that silver one.  Superb cars, and quite good on fuel too.  At those miles it might need some drop links, so listen for a slight rattle over rough surfaces from the front left and right. Also bounce the back end up and down a bit and if it creaks, then you need the rear bushes done.  Wheel bearings are quite common about those miles as well, so again listen for any slight rumbles on the test drive.  Get the dealer to rev the engine a bit with the bonnet open and take a listen to the vanos unit on the front of the engine as it can become a bit vocal.  Otherwise, see how weak the handbrake is? it should still drive nice and rev smoothly on kick down. 

Overall a really enjoyable car to own. I'm also in Glasgow and more than happy to take a look at with you if you want a 2nd opinion?

Greig.

Edited by GStarrr

Cheers for the info guys, i went to see it yesterday and there was a little surface rust at the front of the sills and a few little things that need a tidy up, in spite of that I took the plunge. Got the guy down to £2800, he wouldn't go an lower, next time I'll take the Mike Brewer approach I think. Drove it home and it was a plessure to drive, very happy. 90'000 miles and a full service history with 12 stamps and it has 4 new tyres aswell. Any way, cheers for the info guys, I'll get some picture up shortly.

Greig, I was wondering, as your from Glasgow, is there any BMW indy that you would recommend?

Cheers.

Sounds good, glad you got a good deal on it.  If you want the autobox serviced soon head to Mackie Transmissions in the east end, roughly about £130 if i remember for a ZF service. My 530d will be going there very soon to have it's GM autobox serviced.

As for a good indy? I'm afraid I don't use one up here, I'm originally from Dumfries and use my mechanic down there.