DuncanR75

Bluetooth / ULF compatibility list?

Hi,

Gssmunf - Do keep in mind that the oem bluetooth in these cars is very old and one of the early applications of the technology. As you know, technology moves forward at breakneck speed and other manufacturers in various industries will update products where they can. In terms of cars, once the model goes out of production, there's no need for the manufacturer to keep updating and supporting the older model. Bluetooth is also an open technology meaning any company can use different elements to it according to what they're making - Nokia decided to use a certain aspect(s) which differ from the one BMW used, it could easily have been Apple or HTC or Sony etc. Manufacturers in a different industry don't have to ensure compatibility with out dated out of production products from another company !

Currently, it looks like Apple have the best chance of working with the old BMW BT modules, but that could all easily change when the next iphone comes out - no one will know until they try ! Also, in the meantime, if Nokia or HTC or Sony, Samsung and the like change another element to their BT spec, maybe they might not work at all as well. 

In short, over time, expect less and less current mobile phones to work fully or at all with the now ancient/upto decade old oem BT modules. 

Offthegrid - thanks for the charts etc, out dated now as Sony Ericsson now don't exist and do Siemens still make mobile phones?! Anyone looking for compatibility will basically just need to try different ULF's and different mobile phones until a combination that works is found !

Cheers, Dennis!

I tried my wife's Nokia Lumia 520 the other day and it's good for phone calls with gen 12 ULF. Unfortunately I didn't try any other functions yet but will do as my contract renewal is coming soon and I might consider a Nokia handset.

ULFs up and including ULF 945387 (Hw-Rev.09, Sw-Rev.66, e.g. in the 3series E46) have trouble pairing and connecting to Android phones since Android 4.4.  This seems to be a bug in the firmware that triggers some undesirable handling in Android.

There are reports on the internet that ULFs starting with 6955522 (HW-Rev.10, SW-Rev.71) are working fine with Android after 4.3.  My own experience is that it works with 6969268, (Hw-Rev.10, Sw-Rev.72).  Despite the compatibility matrix, this version works fine in my E46 (German model).

I've done extensive research in this topic (software and hardware), I started a major thread on xda-developers (https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/qa-lollipop-bmw-e46-carkit-bluetooth-t3045523) and have recently changed the old 945387 ULF to 6969268.

Hi, does anyone know which BMW ULF unit will work with a Samsung S8? I know V13 works fine but anyone had joy with earlier units?

Could do with having bluetooth in my E39!!