DuncanR75

Bluetooth / ULF compatibility list?

I've had a search but can't find anything. Is there by any chance a list of which phones are known to work, or conversely not work, with the various versions of the ULF. I have an early one, and my Nokia windows phone doesn't work properly, while an older Nokia does. It's not just the SMS or phonebook thing, it connects and dials, but the audio stays with the phone, not through the speakers. I spent two hours double and triple checking my wiring before seeing a thread about compatibility, so tried another then the audio worked too. It seems like it connects in a remote keypad mode, as the red light goes out on the bordmonitor, and you can dial numbers and the green light comes on. Incoming calls do nothing at all, though, not even announce the call on the screen.

If nothing else, does anyone have a Nokia Lumia working with an ULF of any level? If not maybe I have to finally give in to Apple next upgrade?

Most modern Nokia phones don't work, they don't implement the required Bluetooth profiles. Most other popular phones do work with the newer ULF's. I don't know of any specific phone/ULF version compatibility matrix.

I'm bumping this because I have a Nokia Lumia 920 that I want to use with an OEM ULF, if I decide to go down that handsfree route.

I'm hoping that the very latest ULF's might talk to my 'phone.....anyone had any luck with this?

Hi - Did you guys conclude on this at all?

I'm on the verge of going down Nokia Lumia 1020 route, and similarly want this to work with an 7th Generation ULF.

My data points on this are that I know that my

- Current Nokia E7 will connect, but then disconnect, then connect, then disconnect (i.e. Not work)

- Work Blackberry 9630 (or something) connects fine and transfers phone book details and works properly for calls etc

- Wife's iPhone (4 I think) works fine as per BB above

- old non-smartphone Nokia works fine as per BB above

I really hope someone says "yes it works fine" as I'm not interested in going down the Apple iPhone route, and am not happy at opening myself up to Google and an Android device, so only really have a Windows powered Nokia left as an option now!

My Lumia 810 didn't work, though an older Symbian Nokia (E51 I think) was OK. iPhone 4 worked, not yet tested my 5S I'm afraid. I agree with avoiding Android as I've recently tried one out and the device was rubbish, as were the Android versions of the apps I use. Windows phones are great (apart from I can't get any of the apps I want) so I succumbed to the lure of something that does what I need.

The compatibility of Nokia smart phones with the E39 generation Bluetooth is appalling at best, without trying it or knowing someone that has one, I'd say the chance of it working sufficiently well to be usable would be tending to 0. Love to be proved wrong.

In my E46, I had no end of trouble with Android phones, an HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S3, intermittent connection, no phone book, etc, it was driving me mad!

So I ended up getting a used iPhone 4S after testing a friends phone in the car and discovering that it worked, I eventually upgraded to an iPhone 5S with iOS7 and it still worked as it should.

That was a 5th Gen ULF in a late 2004 car, it also had voice recognition after I activated it with INPA

Big hairy balls - I'm really dumbstruck at times at how Nokia screwed things up for themselves! Why on earth is their implementation of bluetooth that little bit different?!

Must admit, I wasn't hopeful in the first place, and things sound even less promising now. Grrrrr.

I really don't want to convert my life to Apple (even for the sake of working OEM bluetooth in my M5!), so maybe I need to consider giving up on OEM bluetooth.

Dare I say this, being an OEM fan, but I might need to look into a concealed Parrott solution with relevant adapter harness to retain steering wheel control...

Pants

The only problem with the iPhone with the E39 ULF is that it does not support text messages.

There is no third party Bluetooth system that's as well integrated as the OEM setup, but I think some of the Parrot systems can get quite close but they won't use the monitor to display your phone book etc.

The only problem with the iPhone with the E39 ULF is that it does not support text messages.

There is no third party Bluetooth system that's as well integrated as the OEM setup, but I think some of the Parrot systems can get quite close but they won't use the monitor to display your phone book etc.

Agreed, nothing can match the oem integration unfortunately

It's something I miss from my E46

Edited by Rich_D

Gen 1 ULF works fine with my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. Hands free operation is faultless and phone book uploads automatically. Neither ULF or phone support SMS via Bluetooth though.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

I also have a Gen 3 ULF which similarly works a treat with both my Samsung S3 mini and my Nokia 6303 classic. Hands free and phone book both work perfectly. ULF supports SMS but neither of those phones do. Waiting for Android Kit Kit 4.4 to be flowed out to the S3 mini, as it contains the Bluetooth MAP profile required to allow SMS to work.

I also have a Gen 5 ULF (don't ask...) but bizarrely whilst the hands free operation is fine with my S3 mini, the phone book will not upload. I don't get the usual requests to share phone book, and manually sending contacts to ULF doesn't work either. Haven't got my head round that yet.

I also have a Gen 5 ULF (don't ask...) but bizarrely whilst the hands free operation is fine with my S3 mini, the phone book will not upload. I don't get the usual requests to share phone book, and manually sending contacts to ULF doesn't work either. Haven't got my head round that yet. Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Same with my 5th Gen ULF, didn't work properly with my HTC Sensation or the wife's Samsung Galaxy S3, I ended up swapping to an iPhone 4S and that worked fine, as does the 5S I've got now.

Oh man, I was just about to order a Bimmernav retrofit.  I have to use a Nokia Lumia 1020 for my work (dictate).  The retrofit kit uses the 13th Generation ULF module part number: 84 10 9 154 358.

Does anyone know if these will be able to communicate with each other?

I ended up getting the lumia 1020, and have 7th gen ULF.

Not yet properly played with this, but today I did manage to get the Nokia to connect and make a phone call.

Can't comment yet on whether the connection remains in place reliably, or whether phone book transfers across properly.

I think the answer will be "no" to the above though. Stupid Nokia!

Hmmm....this could be a bummer.  I rented a 3 series over Christmas and the Nokia synced fine - and this was overseas.  (Also worked in a Dodge Charger in Atlanta).   I'll need to see if I can work out what the part was in the 3.  Dammit.  Thought it was too easy.

And from the BMW Manual:
"BluetoothTM Enabled Phones
Ideally all phones that are BluetoothTM enabled should work with the ULF system, however not all phones utilize the same profiles and therefore may not be recognized by the ULF System. A list of recommended BluetoothTM enabled phones is available from your BMW Center."

Available part numbers of the Bluetooth ULF from BMW

84 21 6 934 552 end of life 06/03 1st generation
84 21 6 938 610 end of life 10/03 2nd generation
84 21 6 934 961 end of life 03/04 3rd generation
84 21 6 950 089 end of life 06/04 4th generation

84 21 6 945 387 end of life 01/05 5th generation

84 10 6 955 522 end of life 10/05 6th generation

84 10 6 969 268 end of life 04/06 7th generation

84 21 6 958 358 end of life 05/06 8th generation

84 10 6 987 546 end of life 9/06 9th generation

84 10 6 980 130 end of life 11/06 10th generation

84 10 9 133 329 end of life 01/07 11th generation

84 10 9 145 007 end of life 05/07 12th generation

84 10 9 154 358 current production 13th generation

Gents: I managed to find this - unfortunately it looks like a still from a piece of software but perhaps someone smarter than me can track the original source down:

http://www.bimmernav.com/pdf/matrix.pdf

post-50434-0-38825100-1392270216_thumb.j

Edited by OfftheGrid

Gents:

Here is a link to the BMW Compatibility Checker.  I note that it is UK based so it may use European specs.  Any ex-colonials may need to be aware of that.

Also note that I bet it uses the spec. of the Bluetooth module installed at time of build.  If you have updated the module you may need to cheat and put in a different platform/build date.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/owners/mobile-devices/compatibility.html

Edited by OfftheGrid