bradnic

30 pin bluetooth dongle with AVRCP 1.3 or greater for ID3 tag support?

I've just connected up the T2A with my Ridax Charge Converter again, plus a lighter socket type USB power supply capable of 1A, I'll leave it playing and see how it goes.

Richard, the reply from T2A was no surprise. They never answered my inquiry about the Dension unit I am also working on.

DENSION!!  Go wash your mouth out!   :razz:

hi all, been following this thread intently. 

has anyone tried the T2A with a bluetooth device other than an iPhone?  I run android.

Is it possible it's specifically an issue with itunes music and not an issue with spotify?

m25lee

I tried Pandora and Spotify from the iphone with iTunes closed. The T2A still cut out. It is weird. I can go 30 miles without an incident and then have it cut out 3 times in 5 minutes. In an earlier post, Shled states that the T2A needs to be powered via the dockXtender device but hasn't fully detailed his configuration or if this added powerdevice fixes the cutouts. Frankly, I believe the problem stems from the AINET communication quirks that the Intravee works around for the ipod/iphone but which don't work for the T2A. Just my suspicion. Firmware, in other words, as Richard says.

The T2A is known to work with android devices but wont display song/playlist data. Hopefully someone has already tried it and has your answer.

I'd say it's marginal at best, it depends how bothered you are by it not working correctly! It would drive me mad!!

One thing I've not tried is to connect up the KCA-420i to an Alpine head unit and see if it still cuts out. My money is on it being the same, but it's worth checking just in case it is caused by something like the search cache or extra ID3 requests the Intravee does.

I can only laugh! This thread is now two years old and the issue is unresolved. The only reason it keeps going is the fact that the T2A will run for a decent amount of time making you think it is behaving! Then it cuts out. Visseo support is nonexistent. For example, as previously mentioned, I was also using the T2A on a Dension unit. Visseo advertises the T2A will work with the Dension gear. However, it didn't work in my case. Visseo support simply said the T2A won't work with my Dension model. Ugh! Truth be told, the T2A has a history of not working 'as advertised' on Audi, Benz, etc. Much depends on the specific headunit involved.

My Dension is the Gateway 100 for BMW. It has three input modes...Aux, UI (user interface), GW (Gateway). The last mode is similar to the Intravee and allows headunit song/playlist/etc and full control from the headunit. The UI mode allows control from the ipod, not text on the headunit, but the steering wheel controls still work (volume, next track). The T2A WORKS in UI mode with Ipod control. However, it doesn't work in GW mode.

Richard, does the Intravee have similar modes or is it only designed to for full headunit control of the ipod?

The Intravee does have various UI modes, but none have any significant effect on the direct communication to the iPod, that's all handled by the KCA-420i.

I have been talking both with Viseeo (who makes the Tune2Air) and other companies making similar devices.

Unfortunately, none really do what I was looking for, which essentially would be a device you plug into your 30-pin connector in the car, and then your phone is available trhough the stereo. Both control, sound, and track information. None of the companies I talked to seems to really be interested in fixing it either.
The Tune2Air comes closest, in that it do provide the functionality, but only if you have an Apple device. For non-Apple devices, it has some limited functionality only. But worse is that the Tune2Air seems buggy, and at least for me only works about 1 time out of three.

If anyone know of any other devices worth testing, let me know.

For now, I have decided that I will build the device I need myself. I have all the components, and have a prototype running already. Still need to fix a couple of bugs, and then make a neat small pcb and package to have in my car.
Unfortunately, making these things myself don't exactly make them as cheap as some (non-working) options out there. I'd guess the cost for a device ends up at about $150 in the end. Possibly that price could drop some if I bought components for lots of them. Also, it will not be fast actually assembling them. But if anyone would be interested, they can contact me.

Also, if anyone have any questions about more details surrounding all of this, just ask.

Johnny (bqt@softjar.se)

To sum up my current state:

I have a development setup where I today can control my phone from my car. I get both track, artist and album information. Both from Android phones and iPhones. And both with the built-in player as well as with apps like spotify.

The development environment is done with a normal computer and various equipment to hookup bluetooth and the ipod interface.

AVRCP 1.4 browsing almost works. I have some issue when reading large lists on my stereo, but I'm working on fiixng that.

Android phones only support AVRCP 1.3, so that is a limitation I can't get around. But current track info works fine.

I've started on the schema for the "final" product, but I have not finished that yet. And then I need to get PCBs done. The software I'm writing now will mostly be uasble in the end solution as well, but it will be an embedded CPU instead of a normal computer. I've found a bluetooth module that I'm using, which means all parts are already figured out, and known to work good enough for my needs.

The size of the final thing will be about the same size as other bluetooth 30-pin modules, so it won't be large. But I can give a report once I'm that far along as well.

Johnny

Doing it on a raspberry pi would definitely be possible, but it would be pretty large.

And it would still need an extra pcb to hook up the bluetooth module as well as the ipod connector, and the routing of the audio signals.

My aim is to have a single chip where you say "raspberry pi". Probably an 28 pin thing, but I might get away with something smaller.

So I don't currently feel that there is any gains in using such a big system for this part. But you could try convicning me otherwise. The code currently runs in Unix, so from that point of view, it woud be simple...

I just find that I want a much smaller physical end result..

I have been talking both with Viseeo (who makes the Tune2Air) and other companies making similar devices.

Unfortunately, none really do what I was looking for, which essentially would be a device you plug into your 30-pin connector in the car, and then your phone is available trhough the stereo. Both control, sound, and track information. None of the companies I talked to seems to really be interested in fixing it either.

The Tune2Air comes closest, in that it do provide the functionality, but only if you have an Apple device. For non-Apple devices, it has some limited functionality only. But worse is that the Tune2Air seems buggy, and at least for me only works about 1 time out of three.

If anyone know of any other devices worth testing, let me know.

For now, I have decided that I will build the device I need myself. I have all the components, and have a prototype running already. Still need to fix a couple of bugs, and then make a neat small pcb and package to have in my car.

Unfortunately, making these things myself don't exactly make them as cheap as some (non-working) options out there. I'd guess the cost for a device ends up at about $150 in the end. Possibly that price could drop some if I bought components for lots of them. Also, it will not be fast actually assembling them. But if anyone would be interested, they can contact me.

Also, if anyone have any questions about more details surrounding all of this, just ask.

Johnny (bqt@softjar.se)

Count me in for cost of parts + time for 1 possibly 2 units.  Worth it in my book if just for a 100% working solution.

Question, if car currently has bluetooth for calls can both devices be paired at the same time?  Music to intravee.  Calls to BMW bluetooth?

One more question/idea... will your device (and I am still in for 1 or 2 no matter your answer) have a serial port or usb port should software need to be updated in the future kinda like the intravee?  would a potential update be just as easy to push to the device?

Count me in for cost of parts + time for 1 possibly 2 units.  Worth it in my book if just for a 100% working solution.

Question, if car currently has bluetooth for calls can both devices be paired at the same time?  Music to intravee.  Calls to BMW bluetooth?

Yes, that works just as you would hope. Music streaming and control will go through the module and into the ipod interface. Handsfree, phonebook and other bluetooth profiles can be paried simultaneously to some other device (like your cars handsfree bluetooth). When a call comes in, the phone will pause the music, and you car will handle speaker and microphone through the handsfree profile.

i imagine you will find quite a few buyers across all the intravee users and we'd all reward you handsomely for your community service!

I'm not going to get rich. In fact, if I'd get a hundred orders I don't know what to do. It will take quite some time to assemble 100 modules by hand. :-)

But I *really* want this myself, and I figure there are more people who are interested. And I get really annoyed at the responses I get from companies that are doing these kind of things. It's not technically that difficult, but for them it seems like an impossible problem.

One more question/idea... will your device (and I am still in for 1 or 2 no matter your answer) have a serial port or usb port should software need to be updated in the future kinda like the intravee?  would a potential update be just as easy to push to the device?

I'm in the process of deciding which CPU to use. I would prefer if it had a USB interface, so that I could easily do upgrades of the device using the standard apple 30-pin USB cable. No additional cables or connectors needed. But it might be that it will have to be over a serial port, in which case I'd might have to make some additional connector. I've also thought about upgrading over bluetooth, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with that myself.

Either way, expect that firmware upgrades will be fairly easy, since I don't expect to flash these myself before building them.

I'm in the process of deciding which CPU to use. I would prefer if it had a USB interface, so that I could easily do upgrades of the device using the standard apple 30-pin USB cable. No additional cables or connectors needed. But it might be that it will have to be over a serial port, in which case I'd might have to make some additional connector. I've also thought about upgrading over bluetooth, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with that myself.

Either way, expect that firmware upgrades will be fairly easy, since I don't expect to flash these myself before building them.

Cool!  When you're ready to sell... I'm 100% for 1 and 80% for 2 (just need to actually buy the intravee unit for the other car; have all the alpine stuff already)

Cool!  When you're ready to sell... I'm 100% for 1 and 80% for 2 (just need to actually buy the intravee unit for the other car; have all the alpine stuff already)

I expect to finish the design and pcb layout this weekend. So I should get an order for a batch of PCBs at the start of next week. I suspect it takes a couple of weeks for those to arrive, and then I just need to assemble them, and test them. So, less than a month from now I would guess.