MAHER

Turbo failure symptoms on 520d LCI?

Hi All. Last Friday I was driving on motorway and started to hear continuing whining noise for about 5 miles with no power issue, as I had Cruise set at 75 and it was happy with that. No lights on dash board or smoke from exhaust. Then due to traffic i had slow down and then when tried to get back to 70mph, the noise was bit louder again whining noise.

When i came kff the motorway and was driving on A roads the noise was getting louder and power loss in every gear. But even at this stage their was no Dash light or smoke.

Called the RAC over and he confirmed that the turbo bearings have gone.

Can the turbo fail without any warning? Or could it be seals or air leak? But would the noise be loud an loss of power for these reasons?

I have got couple of quotes. Sytner's said £1,200 for turbo + labour n Vat. Local indi have sai £1,400 for new turbo with 2yrs warranty.

But another indi have said £900 inc lab+Vat., take my turbo out and then getting it reconditioned. Does this price sound good? and do you guys reccomend to get the turbo reconditioned?

Please advice, as I am without a car and need to make the decision tomorow. Thank you in advance.

Edited by MAHER

Sorry to hear that but it seems turbo is gone. The garage are right unfortunately ! If you trust the Indy that can change it with the new turbo for £1400, I think that is the best option. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Car has just gone over 120K but has been service at dealers for 3 years and since then I have serviced it at around 8K with Castrol edge 0/30 and genuine filter.

You can remove the air intake and try and get to the inlet impeller and check for any play, but it certainly sounds like the turbo gone. I wouldn't drive it anymore incase bits break off and get into the engine

Are you able to remove the turbo yourself. I'm sure someone here has recommended a company that can refurb them, or may even do exchange units

I'm not confident. So I'm have having the car picked up this morning and the garage will have a look at it and get back to me. But he said if it is the Turbo then it will be £750+vat (inc Lab)

If it is the turbo, then it could just be a case of normal wear. But it is also important to establish if there is soemthing else that caused it or contributed to it, and address that as well.

I once used a company called Turbo Technics back in the day when the turbo went on my 306 (D Turbo). They re-cond and played with my existing one to (created a hybrid using components of another turbo apparently). Can't remember the price but wasn't too bad. Guess it might be worth giving a similar company a call for a quote?

Ive just had the same issue on my bmw 520d 2007 177bhp, the car started to loose power i pulled over checked all the control messages and nothing was showing, switched the engine off and on again, drove it a few miles around 30mph and thought id try and limp it home around 10 miles away, got about one mile down the round it started smoking big time so pulled over immediately, luckily i was about 100 yards away from a garage so pulled it in and asked them to take a look at it.. They got me to rev the engine thats when the noise started and they confirmed the turbo had gone. They confirmed in labor alone im looking at £700, they were happy for me to source the parts myself, i found a few re conned turbos with actuator on ebay for £350 inc one years warranty, plus £100 refundable surcharge once they receive the old turbo. The part should be here on Tuesday, now need to negotiate the labor price tomorrow.

Wondered have you had yours fixed yet? If so what was the cost? Did you use a re-conned turbo?

Do you need to replace any other parts, like gaskets oil feed pipes etc?

Thanks, Ben

The price sounds good for refurb turbo but not sure about the labour. Mine costed me £970 inc labour and reconditioned turbo!

I'm not a mechanic but the turbo doesn't look that difficult to replace and it has reasonable access as well.

Thanks for the response Maher, gives me a good indication that the price is there or there abouts just need to negotiate them down a bit. Is your car running well after they fixed it? I'm just wondering if it smoked at all when you first picked it up?

Thanks, Ben

Nice one, sounds exactly the same as mine, same sort of mileage same tell tale signs at least now if I every hear that noise again I know exactly what it is. Glad your car is going well!

Thanks for your help

Hi Ministox & Maher,

I experienced a similar issue on the M25 today. There was a slight whine and I felt a loss of power. Managed to limp home but the noise was louder than when it started. 

Could you recommend a place to get a refurb turbo around Surrey/ SW London.

Thanks for your help

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm unfortunately in the snailfail club now. My E60 LCI Msport 520D turbo failed Friday at 143000 miles and smoked immediately with the same whine and loss of power....car is being sorted by KAP Tuning in Canterbury, Kent. Can't recommend them enough for costs of labour. To fit the turbo I am supplying they want under £200 for fitting and I am also supplying service parts and that price includes the fluid service. Absolutely lifesaving. I budgeted for a lot more so I'm having them rolling road it after fitment and having a remap sorted too. 

VID_20170915_064039.mp4

For the £1,000 mark i would be expecting the sump and intercooler to be removed and flushed out in case any pieces of turbo were sucked into the engine, along with all the oil feed lines.

If its just a matter of swapping out the turbo i would be looking at approx 2 hours labor.

Get a written quotation of what work they are going to do.

I used Essex turbos a few years back and cant fault them.

1 minute ago, Misterbish said:

For the £1,000 mark i would be expecting the sump and intercooler to be removed and flushed out in case any pieces of turbo were sucked into the engine, along with all the oil feed lines.

If its just a matter of swapping out the turbo i would be looking at approx 2 hours labor.

Get a written quotation of what work they are going to do.

I used Essex turbos a few years back and cant fault them.

Yea I've supplied the turbo and feed and return pipe...they are gonna check all pipes and boost hoses and look for reason for the failure before going ahead with the fitment. 

On 19/09/2017 at 1:51 PM, DazE60M said:

Yea I've supplied the turbo and feed and return pipe...they are gonna check all pipes and boost hoses and look for reason for the failure before going ahead with the fitment. 

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've had this issue, Ive also just had the same albeit without any smoking or noise, just no power. I took the intake pipe off and theres no play on the spindle BUT it doesn't spin which Im led to believe is a complete siezure...?

Do you mind telling me where you got your turbo from and the price? Also, was it a re-con turbo or did you get yours reconned?

Thanks

Jay