cape4

ai net breakout box

Hi Richard

Just a quick one,

The diagram above is how we have Dan's set up with the addtion of a switch betwen the DAB unit and the KCA-420i.

We then have the KCA-420i, a CD Changer and a DVD player plugged into the switch. He has a BM24 and it all works fine.

My question is (and you have prob already told me some where) on mine which has a BM54 will I be able to link the DAB uint, switch, CD and DVD into the Intravee rather that the H100 and there for keep the Nav commands while in the intravee menus ?

My question is (and you have prob already told me some where) on mine which has a BM54 will I be able to link the DAB uint, switch, CD and DVD into the Intravee rather that the H100 and there for keep the Nav commands while in the intravee menus ?

Yes. With the BM54 you can put the AI-Net cable from the DAB into the breakout box and retain 'merged' Nav commands when the Intravee source is selected.

£25 plus postage.  Postage cost depends where you are and how it's sent.

ok   lets get one made!   I live in the US   Calif   zip code 95126.

how much total should i send yea  and to what address?

Thank you

Byong.

Hi Richard. When do you think you will have the parts for the next batch? I'm keen in getting 1 as well. Looks really professionally done. Good job. Let me know and I'll send through my payment.

I should be able to do 1 the week after next, then I have a bit of a problem as I will have used all the boards that Simon made for me and I don't now where he got them done.   I'll probably have to send off a board to get copied.

Got mine the other day. Awesome quality build!! And fast delivery to here in Aus. Thanks Richard.

Now its time to work out the next part of the build.

Either a heavily modded BM53 (feed the DSP output signal back into a Baris upgraded BM53) or external amp? Then just add a small amp and sub later.

I'd recommend using a LOC and external amp, the amp in the BM53 is tiny (4x 15 W). If you use a sensitive amp, or one with adjustable gain, then using the pre amp outputs from the BM53 may be OK.

I can't make up any more breakout boxes at the moment as I have run out of the circuit boards (except 1) that Simon had made up for me. I don't know where he had them made and I don't have the layout file to have more made up. The only way for me to have more made is to send one off to be copied, when I have moment spare I'll try to arrange it.

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but can someone explain exactly what this breakout box does?  Does it just allow you to take the sound straight from the ipod to a processor?

I have a modified BM54 unit with 4 RCA's which I plan to feed into my processor, presumably I will get all audio from the ipod as well as nav and telephone audio going down this route as all audio is coming from the BM54..... right?

One other question, is it possible to make up some kind of lead which would allow ai-net control of an ipod and take a digital audio signal from it at the same time?

Cheers,

Del

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but can someone explain exactly what this breakout box does?  Does it just allow you to take the sound straight from the ipod to a processor?

No, that's possible without the box. It enables you to have audio from the radio!

The problem is that the H100 only has 2 AI-Net ports and no other audio input. The Intravee must connect to one AI-Net port to control the H100, the other AI-Net port can be used for direct connection to the KCA-420i or whatever AI-Net devices you have. The problem is that there is no way to input the audio from the Radio/Phone/Nav/VR/Tape/CD as both Ai-Net ports (and thus audio inputs) are used.

The Intravee does not use the audio input on the AI-Net port at all, the Intravee only has audio INPUT on the AI-Net port, not output. So, with the breakout box you can 'inject' the radio audio into the AI-Net cable used to connect the H100 to the Intravee.

I have a modified BM54 unit with 4 RCA's which I plan to feed into my processor, presumably I will get all audio from the ipod as well as nav and telephone audio going down this route as all audio is coming from the BM54..... right?

See above, you're an audio input short!

One other question, is it possible to make up some kind of lead which would allow ai-net control of an ipod and take a digital audio signal from it at the same time?

Yes, well maybe, but it's not easy. You'd have to take audio directly from the dock connector and feed it to a D/A converter then feed that audio back into the output of the KCA-420i (or some other input into a processor, the more expensive processors have digital audio input). I don't know if digital audio is available when using the iPod in the way the KCA-420i controls it though.

Yes, well maybe, but it's not easy. You'd have to take audio directly from the dock connector and feed it to a D/A converter then feed that audio back into the output of the KCA-420i (or some other input into a processor, the more expensive processors have digital audio input). I don't know if digital audio is available when using the iPod in the way the KCA-420i controls it though.

^^ indeed, I have been looking at this (as Richard knows lol), and Richard is correct.

In simple terms....

The main problem (I see), is that the with the KCA-420i connected to the ipod doc there is no way to get access to the digital out from the ipod itself (using the USB interface pins in the doc), also the KCA-420i is connected to the ipod as a "made for ipod" so the control interface pin (pin 20 or 21 (I forget), has a specific resistance, telling the ipod to go into a special audio and control mode.

Now to get digital out the resistance has to be a different value (so it switches to USB (eg digital out)), doing this may well stop the KCA-420i seeing the ipod!! if it does then all bets are off.

If and when you get the digital out, piping this into a DA adapter and then piping it back into the ai-net is pretty straight forward, you could use a breakout box or one of alpines ai-net interrupt  adapters. pushing it back into ai-net is not the problem, getting the digital out is.

I have been toying with the idea of making a dual doc adapter lead, (1 male into 2 female doc adapter), so you can have the DA adapter and the KCA-420i plugged in at the same time into the ipod.

Worst case is that you would kill the KCA-420, the ipod and the DA adapter, and possibly the Intravee.

Right, ok, so if I just had Intravee and no other audio equipment going in like processors etc. and I just connected it up to the CD and Ibus ports from the omitted BMW CD changer, then connect my Ipod and KCA-420 to the Ai-Net input, would I hear audio from the Ipod with nav and speed camera alerts etc. over the top?  I thought that's how it worked?

Then, if I have a processor like the H100, that takes the audio signal straight out from the KCA-420 but will not pick-up the nav, telephone audio without the breakout box to feed the audio back in from the BM54, right?

But in my case, I am using a BitOne processor which will be taking low level full range audio signals from the RCA mod from the BM54.  So all I will get is audio from the BM54, but not audio from the Ipod due to the Intravee not sending an audio signal back into the BM54, is that what you are implying?  If that is the case then my assumption in the first paragraph is wrong, as if the Intravee sent an audio signal back into the BM54 I would be able to pick it up from the modded RCA preouts?

God this is confusing, sorry for my ignorance in understanding how it all works, desperately trying to get my head around it all!

Del

^^ indeed, I have been looking at this (as Richard knows lol), and Richard is correct.

In simple terms....

The main problem (I see), is that the with the KCA-420i connected to the ipod doc there is no way to get access to the digital out from the ipod itself (using the USB interface pins in the doc), also the KCA-420i is connected to the ipod as a "made for ipod" so the control interface pin (pin 20 or 21 (I forget), has a specific resistance, telling the ipod to go into a special audio and control mode.

Now to get digital out the resistance has to be a different value (so it switches to USB (eg digital out)), doing this may well stop the KCA-420i seeing the ipod!! if it does then all bets are off.

If and when you get the digital out, piping this into a DA adapter and then piping it back into the ai-net is pretty straight forward, you could use a breakout box or one of alpines ai-net interrupt  adapters. pushing it back into ai-net is not the problem, getting the digital out is.

I have been toying with the idea of making a dual doc adapter lead, (1 male into 2 female doc adapter), so you can have the DA adapter and the KCA-420i plugged in at the same time into the ipod.

Worst case is that you would kill the KCA-420, the ipod and the DA adapter, and possibly the Intravee.

I would love to be able to control the ipod from the nav screen up front but take a digital audio signal out of the Ipod (by passing the Ipod DAC) and then feed it directly via optical link to my Bit One which will then use it's own DAC to feed my amps.  This would give my best quality possible for my set-up.  I can understand what you are saying with regards to the Ipod may not be able to use both analouge and digital signal at the same time to take instruction from the KCA420 and send audio via separate pins on the connector for digital signal.  It's way over my head, but if you can crack it I think you could be quids in!!  Could be a risky experiment though, especially if you end up killing all the kit !