ATOHT

B10 3.3 Running Report

88 posts in this topic

I introduced my 'new' car last year and have been loving every minute of driving it ever since, so I thought i'd do a running report.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/74257-new-addition-to-the-bmw-family/

The first 10000 miles (in my ownership anyway) have just passed under the wheels and I had a service carried out by CPC in Amersham.  The owner Phil is universally recommended over a number of forum, including this one, so I dropped it in there yesterday.  Aside from the oil service it had a thorough inspection and needed one or two jobs tackling.  I had reported the obligatory E39 'shimmy' which has been sorted with new reaction bushes and the rear discs and pads were replaced.  Also noted were a small leak from the rocker cover gasket which was apparently very brittle and a weeping power steering hose, also replaced.  Two preventative maintenance jobs included a transmission fluid and filter change as well as changing the differential oil.  All in all, an expensive day but worth it and the car drives even more smoothly than it already did.  I was very impressed by CPC - a thorough recommendation from me.

Following the advice of the previous owner, I've been running it on 10w 60 grade oil instead of the recommended 10w 30.  This has meant a reduced oil consumption down to approx 4 litres over the 10K miles which I'm told is good for one of these.  This was endorsed by CPC yesterday as a recognised measure to reduce consumption and they have duly filled it with Mobil 1 10w 60.

I've been monitoring fuel consumption on fuelly.com since purchase.  In the 9912 miles it's been filled up 29 times (always to the brim with V Power) and returned an average of 26 mpg, with the best tankful giving 29.1 mpg.  The bottom line is, it costs 24p per mile in petrol.  Yes, I know 10K miles in 6 months would probably have cost less in fuel in a diesel and this might not be the most economical way to do 20K miles a year but I have little depreciation to worry about and no finance interest payments to make. 

Above all else it is a fantastic car to drive with that silky smooth 6 cyl engine purring and burbling away.  The occasional spin up to the 7200 rpm redline is the icing on the cake! 

Good to hear it's running well.

Was this Harry and before that Olli's ex car from another forum?

It was indeed and both of them looked after this car superbly.

As you can see from the intro thread, I got hold of it in a slightly convuluted way but it was very much worth it. 

Very nice! Just a question, how much did you pay for the transmission flush + diff oil change?

I found a guy in southampton, they didn't sound greatly knowledgeable though...

I've been running it on 10w 60 grade oil instead of the recommended 10w 30.

Ditto.  I've been running the 3.2 on the same oil.   Consumption was hardly an issue before, but it seems to run a bit nicer on the thicker stuff, quieter & more responsive.   (Car now on 145k. Engine has done 137k).

Very nice! Just a question, how much did you pay for the transmission flush + diff oil change?

I found a guy in southampton, they didn't sound greatly knowledgeable though...

The transmission fluid was £104, the gearbox gasket was £11.17 and the filter was £14.75.  The diff oil was £31.19.  I'm not sure what the labour was as he lumped it all in together with the other work.  I suppose you're looking at a couple of hundred quid at least.  Hope this helps.

Re AndrewMac query.

Brystone at Totton, Southampton did my E39 540 touring major sort out when first bought including transmission oil/filters as it had done 100k and i am fussy. No affinity apart from satisfaction - well worth a call, 02380 661010 re a idea of price.

I felt comfortable with their work/charges an sent the E34 M5 there to test their paitence and resolve.

The expensive week continues ....

I picked up a tatty, second set of 18s over the winter so I could have seperate summers and winters.  I had these refurbished recently at Mint Alloys up near Bedford and picked them up on Thursday and I have to say the finish is very good.  They also refurbed the centre caps to a very good standard although I'll have to fit some new emblems but that was part of the plan and worth the effort when compared to the cost of new centre caps.  I might be tempting fate by changing early (given the barking weather at the moment) but my hand was forced somewhat by the state of the rear Vredesteins.  The tread depth was down to 2mm and less (ahem!) and they were quite badly feathered on the inside edge so off they came yesterday.  The winters will be replaced next autumn and fitted back on the car when the temps drop low enough, hopefully not until December.  In the meantime the summers are on with two new Michelin Pilot Sports with the correct weight rating of 93Y on the back and a pair of Dunlops on the front.  They've still got 5mm of tread so I'll keep them on until the time comes.

RearWheel_zps9e30892f.jpg

As you can see, new discs and pads, refurbished wheels and a pair of Michelin's finest means I am skint!  Although to prevent these beauties from going the same way as the Vredesteins the car is booked in for a full alignment at Wheels in Motion, Chesham, next week.  In this case prevention will definately be cheaper than cure!

There's a chap on the Alpina Register who sells superb copies of decals/badges etc - his name's Pukar and I can vouch for his wheel centres

The expensive week continues ....

As you can see, new discs and pads, refurbished wheels and a pair of Michelin's finest means I am skint!  Although to prevent these beauties from going the same way as the Vredesteins the car is booked in for a full alignment at Wheels in Motion, Chesham, next week.  In this case prevention will definately be cheaper than cure!

Yes I spotted the new discs in the pic !  Are they special Alpina parts ?

but my hand was forced somewhat by the state of the rear Vredesteins.  The tread depth was down to 2mm and less (ahem!) and they were quite badly feathered on the inside edge so off they came....

......to prevent these beauties from going the same way as the Vredesteins the car is booked in for a full alignment at Wheels in Motion, Chesham, next week.  In this case prevention will definately be cheaper than cure!

Another update:  I had the alignment done a couple of weeks back and the rear camber was out a fair bit.  It was 2 degrees 20 minutes on both and was brought back to 1 degree 50.  That might account for the state of these:

RearWinterRemoved1_zps43d98277.jpg

They don't look too bad from this angle and there's still 2 - 3 mm left (not enough for winters though) plus the cheeky repair plug I hadn't noticed before.  However when you spin them round and look at the inside edge .....

WinterRemoved2_zps80d978be.jpg

Not good!  I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the Michelins.

104K miles and the MOT yesterday so took it in for a 'while you wait' at the local garage (Lowe's in South Ruislip) and paced up and down for half an hour.  Passed with flying colours and no advisories - mind you with all the care and attention this beauty gets, it's just as well!

A couple more updates; the fuel economy has dipped very slightly over the last couple of weeks which I put down to enjoying the performance a bit more.  Had a great drive on Saturday, making unobtrusive progress along the B4100 across the downs at Lambourn enjoying the 7200 rpm red line a few times.  Also gave it an Italian tune up yesterday just before the MOT.

Fitted one of these the other day:

DSC05186_zpsa903217d.jpg

Got it from the BMW Ebay store - reasonable price and good delivery so happy with that.

Also took the plunge and upgraded the head unit to the Parrot Asteroid Smart.  I have to say that I am very impressed with this bit of kit; I'm no ICE expert but it just sound heaps better and the user interface is spot on.  Sat Nav (iGo) also seems perfectly adequate for what I need.

DSC05187_zps6eac9b20.jpg

DSC05188_zpsc68e10ea.jpg

Thought I'd take a chance on the summer weather this weekend and fitted the side sun screens:

AlpinaSunScreenOffside_zps36126dca.jpg

AlpinaSunScreenNearside_zpsf33bfe8b.jpg

AlpinaSunScreenInsideDoor_zps1518e339.jp

These were dealer supplied and do keep the interior cooler especially with the electric rear sun blind.

Edited by ATOHT

Very nice matey but it's no E28 is it? :mrgreen:  BTW you going to Bromley on the 9th June?

It certainly isn't an E28. What a choice to have though!

I can't do Bromley due to work but I'm still planning on Uxbridge which, by the sounds of it will have more BMs than Gaydon!

Edited by ATOHT

Got 29.4 mpg out of a tank (just over 400 miles) this week so quite chuffed with that.  I've been running the tyres slightly up on pressures to see the effect on mpg.  Too early to make any conclusions but I'm keeping an eye on it.  The tyres are up to 2.5 front and 2.7 rear where they should be 2.3 and 2.5 so not too much more.

Gave the 'pina a wash this morning and took a couple of snaps of the latest stuff.

Reapplied the boot badges with some 3M adhesive:

RearNSmudflapsandbadges_zpsd198f733.jpg

3Mbadgeadhesive_zpsa7e39a39.jpg

Finally got round to fitting the mudflaps I'd brought secondhand from a BMW Car Club member (cheers Roy) last weekend but the car wasn't clean enough to post pictures:

Sideonmudflaps_zps7360b8ba.jpg

Well I've been thinking about putting them on mine, being midnight blue they won't look so obvious but I actually quite think they suit the E39 - Alpina or not!

Edited by BarryM

Mudflaps on an Alpina just seems so wrong... sorry

No need to apologise mate, mudflaps will always be Marmite.

Do you live on an former RAF base by chance?

It was at one time Rob.

Two preventative maintenance jobs included a transmission fluid and filter change as well as changing the differential oil. 

Did you consider changing the power steering fluid ? That is another item that normally never gets changed during routine servicing.

I didn't at the time but I'll look into it at next service.  It makes sense to trickle feed these sometimes overlooked jobs into each regular service to spread the cost.