jofm5uk

Fitting the Space Saver Spare

Having binned the run flats and gone for proper tyres I thought it prudent to get a space saver.

Ordered it from our forum sponsors Cotswold on Friday and it arrived today - however it seems more than a tight bleeding fit to try get it into the under-floor on the E61....

Any tricks to getting it in there as short of deflating it I cant see how it would fit ?

Thx

LOL. Yes a bit of a problem. 

I left the tray in (as it covers wires etc) and cut a bit out which goes under the tailgate. I then deflated the spare a bit and put it in (as I always carry a pump this won't be a problem). Still a bit tight but an easy enough fit. Not sure if it does any harm having an under inflated tyre being stored in said manner. 

Edited by Saint

Shouldent be a problem, just remember to inflate it if you need to use it

i did the same with my e60 saloon when i took the stoke wheels off, the spare wheel has been a god sent on several ocasions

Had same issue myself when got the spare kit from cotswolds only 2 months ago

There are 4 sets of vertical ribs in the wheel well, tap these flat with a rubber mallet the fit the wheel in, I had to climb in and tap it home with my feet. Until id tapped the ribs down it would barely go in, thought I was going a bit mad at first as the fit wasnt just tight, didnt even go in the damm well.

Glad ive got a spare now.

Edited by rgv250ads

Just got my kit from Cotswold today. I can't fit it yet as the car is in the bodyshop. Great peace of mind. I haven't had a puncture for at least 15 years, but you just never know... My old car did have a spare, and sod's law now that I didn't have one, you know what would happen...

On the E60, do you have to remove the carpet in the wheel area to fit it in ? I spotted an ebay listing from another BMW dealer that suggested that this is the case.

On my E61 I removed the molded carpet so the spare fits perfectly. The molded carpet is stored  in the loft !!! 

Underneath this is a polystyrene cover sitting on top of various relays and electronic modules. When I bought my space saver wheel 2-3 years ago there were three options:

1. Space saver wheel and tyre (£100)

2. As above with polystyrene insert for jack, brace, etc (£130)

3. As above with new boot carpet reshaped to fit space saver wheel (£200)

Personally, I don't see any benefit at all to the carpet, other than maybe some additional sound insulation. Even in a flood I don't think it would keep water out of the boot or away from the electronics because it's made of rubbish materials. 

Ive just fitted my spare wheel, i had to take out the original liner which held the towing ball/bracket. luckily the new spare wheel tool holder has the cut out for the tow bar. The only thing is what do you use to hold the whole lot down, the one that holds the old tow bar holder doesn't fit

Yes, I had to remove the wheel well liner as well otherwise the space saver would not go in. Also gave me a chance to check the electronic units under there, no problems it was bone dry down there.

I had to resort to a bit of Blue Peter arts and crafts to get it to fit. First cutaway the ribs in the front and the sides using a sharp Stanley knife and a soft faced mallet to tap the knife with. Then cut away a section at the rear but allow yourself a small flap to cover the lower rear section. The kit will then fit in.

My E61 was supplied ex factory with the space saver wheel and fits perfectly within the tray, so I'd suggest the top part of the tray is different

For the E61 you need part #51477137461, you will no doubt have part #51477137462

The part ending 461 has no ribs and is round to accommodate the wheel. I think the ribs are to take the tow bar holder.

s-l1000.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by GoNz0