F4HDH

Vibration between 50-60mph

Ok guys. I have had this problem since i have bought the car. What can it be???

Just to give you some history. The wheels have been balance at least 10 tmes. The tyres have been changed twice. And now I have even put a new set of wheels on the car. But I still have a vibration between 50-60mph. Changed one of the engine mounts as it was finshed. Changed the Diff and gearbox oil. 2 new original shocks from BMW. The car drives like new. Apart from between 50-60mph. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

If not suspension or subframe bushes maybe the guibos or prop shaft centre bearing

if its a rolling vibration, not influenced by braking load(s) then agree with Neil A above, that would be my next test, may need garage check re car on ramp.

You could always put the rear wheels up on axle stands. Get the car upto 50mph and see if the vibration is still there. If it is there still you know its nothing to do with the front and if its not you will know that its a problem with on the front somewhere  :)  That should narrow down the field a bit.  Id also suspect a slightly bent prop shaft or bushes.   Did'nt ground it at any time, say in the snow??

Just some thoughts for you.

Can you feel it in the steering, or throughout the car?

The front end is half fixed, it could also be the other arms/bushes, tie rod ends or rack ends. E39's do well to have the complete suspension rebuilt at the same time, as those components all work very hard to give the ride/handling combination they acheive.

+1 for checking for sticking caliper....

Next time you get the vibration, pull over as soon as possible and put your hand on the centre of each front wheel. If you've got a dodgy caliper, it will be warm.

If you've got a really knackered caliper, it will be VERY warm, like burn-your-fingerprints-off hot...ask me how I know :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If not suspension or subframe bushes maybe the guibos or prop shaft centre bearing

Sorry what's the Guibos?

You could always put the rear wheels up on axle stands. Get the car upto 50mph and see if the vibration is still there. If it is there still you know its nothing to do with the front and if its not you will know that its a problem with on the front somewhere   :)  That should narrow down the field a bit.  Id also suspect a slightly bent prop shaft or bushes.   Did'nt ground it at any time, say in the snow??

Just some thoughts for you.

I haven't ever grounded the car in the time I have had it. I have had alot of work done on the car including rear subframe bushes.

could be sticky calliper?  its hard to imagine anything that just affects only between 50-60. 

Surely if it was a stickey caliper the pads would be wearing unevenly?? I recently changed my rear pads and the were worn evenly. Fronts are wearing evenly too.

Calipers are female - they stop behaving rationally for no apparent reason, then all of of a sudden all is well for another few weeks ;)

i just had to have a caliper replaced - it was binding like hell 

it warped the disc as this was blue when it came off

it smelt awful cant miss it 

the other side disc was cool 

this one burnt my fingers badly!! only a quick touch as well

was a real voilent judder and shake 40 mpg onwards

You say wheels etc balanced, but have you checked to see if you have a flat spot on one of your rims. I had the same problems once and it was a buggered alloy.

I run a tyre shop. So the wheels have had the tyres taken off and checked for imperfections. Then had the tyres put back on and rebalanced. I have also got the same problem with 2 sets of wheels. Both my summer and winter set give me a shake between 50-60 mph.

I understand a sticky caliper would cause a vibration. But surely this would be at all sorts of speeds and not just between 50-60. I done a trip to Monaco in the car last year and I got it up to 145mph. It only had a vibration between 50-60.

Well I, like you, thought just that. We started getting the big vibration around 50 mph in January. It would go away for weeks then return. I said 'if it was brakes it would be constant' so just waited a bit. This summer we bought new tyres and the mechanic doing the alignment said the front arm bushings were going, so I thought 'aha, the vibration'. But with the new tyres and alignment the vibration calmed down a bit. Then it was back. I changed the front discs and pads and found the right caliper pads were horribly worn while the left caliper pads were in pretty good shape. New pads and discs calmed it down a bit, but then I took the whole thing in for MOT and annual service. We replaced the arms and track rods, took it back out and hi-ho, vibration STILL there. Took it back in, replaced the right front caliper and the disc, now warped, and all is well! 

My new rule is, check the calipers for uneven wear first. The more heavily worn side is the problem, even if it makes less sense (as you point out).

I'm having EXACTLY the same symptoms, and I know its not tyres or wheels, as I have just put four brand spankers on and hadd alloys checked/ balanced/ checked and alligned again!! Also NOT thrust arms/ wheelbearings etc...as all is sound there. 

Only happens when warming up...i.e over 50mph ish, judders like mad!!

Had it in garage, cannot find any issues as caliper piston "seems" free, but as said, like a female, can stick when they want to!

There is a belter of a burning smell also coming from it, so I'm en route to get new caliper, discs and pads now.

By the way, EuroCar Parts have a decent sale on at the moment, with Pagid on offer, I "DEFINATELY" wouldn't buy OEM parts, up near the £500 mark I was quoted!

Let us know how you get on

New track rods (complete, inner & outer) sorted a 60-65mph vibration for me.

I found it by attempting to turn the wheels with the engine off and I could hear a clunk with just a few inches of steering wheel movement left/right.

30-40 mins each side, quite easy.

Worn wheel bearings can cause intermittent vibrations - I've seen bearings that have caused vibratiions yet had no detectable play. They just get worn and under load cause a vibration that comes and goes. If your car has done >100k I'd definitely investigate them.

Recently I have had new wheelbearings fitted, so that is definately not the cause, also zero play. After having a look online, it seems quite a few e39's suffer the "wobble", some easy to find, some not so.