• Announcements

• sandip

Email notifications   06/09/2016

We are aware the email notifications are currently not working.  If you require any assistance related to receiving emails, please contact one of the admin team whilst we look to resolve this issue.   If you have any issues verifying your account, please contact one of the team on our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/forum.bmw5/   Thanks Sandip 
sherlylock

'97 E39 528i SE - Oxford Green + Photography geek......

14 posts in this topic

Seeing as this is the "Picture & Video Gallery" and I've got an unhealthy obsession with photography (especially Long Exposure/Light painting and motorsport) I thought I'd start up a combined project/photography thread based around my recently acquired 528i.....which I love to bits.  

It'll give me some motivation to get out and take some photos of the old girl.....as a bit of an ongoing project, and as an excuse to practice some of the lighting/long exposure techniques that I've learnt over the last couple of years.

First off - here she is as I bought her - outside the old gas company offices on Southend seafront:

It's quite a tidy car, plenty of history and relatively low mileage.  I don't plan to change a huge amount - just bigger wheels, clear indicators and swapping out of wood trim.

8449218665_04de8434d1.jpg
528i by sherlylock, on Flickr

Edited by sherlylock

A long exposure interior shot......grabbed this on the way home from work last night (unfortunately a lot of my recent photography has been squeezed in around work - been busy of late)......

8472180553_3e260498a8.jpg
Edited by sherlylock

Now owned the car for 6 months and have had my first scare - slight overheating issue.  Had the engine sniff-tested and all is fine so I decided to invest in a cooling system refresh. New rad/thermostat/belts/viscous fan clutch/water pump and all is good.  Just need to fit a new resistor pack to the AUX fan to get that working correctly. 

Just prior to that little issue I bought a set of Style 32's (cheers Maca!) which I've home-brew rattle can refurb'd. Intending to get them professionally done - just needed to get them on the car to replace previous knackered tyres.

There's been some de-forestation in the interior too - I've replaced the vavona trim with gloss black (all that walnut made me twitchy!)

Been an expensive month but well worth it.

Next months job - Oil service & CCV replacement.

Future jobs - angel eyes, possibly lowering & spacers for rear wheels

post-45437-0-02496500-1372151935_thumb.j

Edited by sherlylock

A slightly cleaner nicer version.....

8518348290_2ed225ddd2.jpg

How you do this photo.. i love photos and photo taking nothing on this scale but this is a cool photo.. 

S,butler

Edited by Ustbutler

Lovely, consider fitting sport suspension, it will sit very nice on those wheels.

Am I right in thinking Sport suspension is a -15mm drop?  WHat happens at the back end? It's SLS so presumably this can be reprogrammed to sit at the right height?

How you do this photo.. i love photos and photo taking nothing on this scale but this is a cool photo.. 

S,butler

Find somewhere dark, the less ambient light the better, set the camera up on a tripod and lock the shutter open.  From that point on anything you shine a light on will get exposed onto the camera sensor (or film if you're old-skool).  If you wear dark clothing and move around enough you don't get exposed - allowing bonnets & doors etc to be opened and closed.....

Here's the last of this series that I did.....

8519568730_b8b64a6494.jpg
glassdoor by sherlylock, on Flickr
ustbutler likes this

Is it a dSLR camera? - you'll probably need to have full manual control (ISO, Shutter and Aperture) to make sure you get the exposure correct.

As for torches - a mix of LED cheapo stuff from the pound shop up to some uber-bright LED remote area work-lights. 

Edited by sherlylock

its a bridge camera.. :neutral:..  you can manual control it a little but nothing on the scale of an dslr :)

S,butler