sherlylock

'97 E39 528i SE - Oxford Green + Photography geek......

14 posts in this topic

Seeing as this is the "Picture & Video Gallery" and I've got an unhealthy obsession with photography (especially Long Exposure/Light painting and motorsport) I thought I'd start up a combined project/photography thread based around my recently acquired 528i.....which I love to bits.  

It'll give me some motivation to get out and take some photos of the old girl.....as a bit of an ongoing project, and as an excuse to practice some of the lighting/long exposure techniques that I've learnt over the last couple of years.

First off - here she is as I bought her - outside the old gas company offices on Southend seafront:

It's quite a tidy car, plenty of history and relatively low mileage.  I don't plan to change a huge amount - just bigger wheels, clear indicators and swapping out of wood trim.

8449218665_04de8434d1.jpg
528i by sherlylock, on Flickr

Edited by sherlylock

A long exposure interior shot......grabbed this on the way home from work last night (unfortunately a lot of my recent photography has been squeezed in around work - been busy of late)......

8472180553_3e260498a8.jpg
Edited by sherlylock

Now owned the car for 6 months and have had my first scare - slight overheating issue.  Had the engine sniff-tested and all is fine so I decided to invest in a cooling system refresh. New rad/thermostat/belts/viscous fan clutch/water pump and all is good.  Just need to fit a new resistor pack to the AUX fan to get that working correctly. 

Just prior to that little issue I bought a set of Style 32's (cheers Maca!) which I've home-brew rattle can refurb'd. Intending to get them professionally done - just needed to get them on the car to replace previous knackered tyres.

There's been some de-forestation in the interior too - I've replaced the vavona trim with gloss black (all that walnut made me twitchy!)

Been an expensive month but well worth it.

Next months job - Oil service & CCV replacement.

Future jobs - angel eyes, possibly lowering & spacers for rear wheels

post-45437-0-02496500-1372151935_thumb.j

Edited by sherlylock

A slightly cleaner nicer version.....

8518348290_2ed225ddd2.jpg

How you do this photo.. i love photos and photo taking nothing on this scale but this is a cool photo.. 

S,butler

Edited by Ustbutler

Lovely, consider fitting sport suspension, it will sit very nice on those wheels.

Am I right in thinking Sport suspension is a -15mm drop?  WHat happens at the back end? It's SLS so presumably this can be reprogrammed to sit at the right height?

How you do this photo.. i love photos and photo taking nothing on this scale but this is a cool photo.. 

S,butler

Find somewhere dark, the less ambient light the better, set the camera up on a tripod and lock the shutter open.  From that point on anything you shine a light on will get exposed onto the camera sensor (or film if you're old-skool).  If you wear dark clothing and move around enough you don't get exposed - allowing bonnets & doors etc to be opened and closed.....

Here's the last of this series that I did.....

8519568730_b8b64a6494.jpg
glassdoor by sherlylock, on Flickr
ustbutler likes this

Is it a dSLR camera? - you'll probably need to have full manual control (ISO, Shutter and Aperture) to make sure you get the exposure correct.

As for torches - a mix of LED cheapo stuff from the pound shop up to some uber-bright LED remote area work-lights. 

Edited by sherlylock

its a bridge camera.. :neutral:..  you can manual control it a little but nothing on the scale of an dslr :)

S,butler