Sign in to follow this  
tinshark

Yet another new kid

Hi,

Yet another recruit! I was so pleased to find this site, which recognises the E28 - unlike a lot of sites (and especially magazines) which are E39 and E46 obsessed!

I'm just onto my 2nd E28, I had a lovely well-specced 520i for over 2 years, until a damaged head rendered it beyond econoimc repair. Now I've taken the plunge and got a 1986 M535i in Polaris silver w black leather (yaay!) and original 390mm TRX alloys (boo!) Really loving the big engine and switchable autobox, though the ride is not so smooth as on my 520i. Still, this one actually goes round corners!

So far it's been playing up a bit, because it was unused for months before I got it. It cooked up on the M25 with dicky thermo, pump and viscous coupling, and now it's had to go in for some brain surgery - the ECU has stopped telling the injectors to work. In fact, it stopped telling them while I was doing 75 on the M40 on my way to Gaydon!! Smashing. If you were on your way past junction 6 at about 8:45am, that was my car with its hazards on (fume, curse etc.) If there's any kind of contest for most miles done on a flatbed, I reckon I'm whooping the competition up to now....

Things to do: replace the cracked foglamps, find a grey driver's mat to match the others, and sort out some replacement alloys to avoid the TRX tyre-buying situation, muchos $$$$$ . What wheels you all got on your cars? I'm thinking 15" cross spokes (comfort), or 16" for looks and handling. Anybody got 17"? I've heard of 8-series wheels going onto E28's, whats the deal?

When I've got it polished up I'll send photos. By the way, some great looking cars in the gallery! Really like E28s with chrome bumpers, and might look into fitting them to my M535i.

Look forward to some chats in the future - if anybody has a pair of front foggies I'm interested! after some wheels too, when I've paid for the ECU repair (ulp).

Cheers

Simon

Welcome m8,

wheels, well in my opinion the 15" cross spokes do suit the M535i but so to do the e38 16" cross spokes and the 16" 8 series cross spokes, sly has the eight series on his and it looks very nice, there are enough e28 owners on here with different wheels on so I dont think you need to look out for what they will look like!!

good luck with your faults and get some pics up soon.

or these, just sold a set of brains for an m535 to a yank on e/bay, but you didn,t wanna know that, sorry i,m off

Cheers guys. You're right Jules, it seems that something goes wrong every week! But hey, if I was that upset I'd be driving a 1.4 Astra instead, wouldn't I?

Sorry, that's the last time I'll use the 'A' word!

Roofer, that's a very smart car in the photos. Is that yours? Looks like Polaris silver too, like mine, though I don't have the painted mirrors. Though after seeing those...

Both sets of wheels look really smart, and fill the arches better than my old TRXs. Question is, will 16" or 17" wheels make it ride like Fred Flintstone's car? (I wish it was as reliable as Flintstone's at the moment). what the hell - I want some! The Alpinas really suit the E28's square shouldered 1980s style.

Sly's car looks really pin-sharp with those E31 rims. Nice front spoiler too. Saw a great M535i tonight on my road, negaro silver with chromed E34 M5 wheels, black tinted glass (well, this is South London) and what appeared to be either satnav or a DVD player screen on the dash! Sounded nice too, I'm sad that I only hear my car exhaust when I drive under low bridges. With the window down, etc....

Thanks for the advice. Selling brains to the americans eh roofer? next time you've got some spare brains , there are plenty of South London residents in need, judging by the standard of driving! And next time you see me on the back of a truck, give me a wave!

Adios

Simon

simon just sold that one , the ride is fine on 17" rims, mind you if you had 13" with 80 profile tyres they still would,nt smooth londons road out, biggest tyres you,ll get on the back will be 235/40/17 , and will need to sort the arch lip :wub:

A nuvva Saaf Lundun Boy!! Welcome!!

I've got 17" wheels on an M5 & an M535i, the ride is still pretty good on both, though not as good as my new 'donor' 520i, which is a Big Bouncy Castle in comparison..!

You CAN fit the 17" style 5 BBS 8 series wheels to an E28 & they look damn good too. I had them on a 6er & FWIW I reckon they are one of the nicest wheels you can fit to a sharknose bimmer.

(I'd planned to fit some to the M5, but they wouldn't clear the mad brakes I've got! I've tracked down a set of 18" flavour which *should* fit, but that might be going to extremes....)

The 17" E34 M5 style 'throwing star' wheels look good too.

If you're still stuck for a brain, I've got a spare one.

Mmmm flash fried with a dash of garlic & a fine Chianti... ThThTH :)

Hi Trisman!

Another rude boy Saaaarf of da river! Judging by your website, you are the master of all things sharky! That E24 with shiny cross-spokes looked great - they're def. the kind of wheels I'd like to get hold of. Style 5 you say?

i reckon I've seen your gas-assisted M535i in a couple of magazines, unless there are several about - which I doubt.

Yep, my old 520i was a tad boingy, though at least that meant all the cabin fixtures remained quiet and rattle-free. My M535i is quiet inside, considering the leather interior is retro-fitted.

Has anybody ever swapped plastic M535i bumpers etc. for chrome ones? Was it a hard task? I really like the look of those bumpers, Sly's looks cool. Plus the bumpers on my 520i were like new, whereas the plastic ones on this car get damaged everytime I run somebody over.

Just kidding - but they're looking shabby.

I'm having my brain repaired, though thanks for the offer. I'm afraid Hannibal will have to pop to KFC instead!

How many other forum users are in London? Would be good to see people's cars and get some ideas.

Simon

its an easy enough job to do tho you will need more that just a couple of bumpers, you will also need a lower front panel, cars with the M-Tec kit did not have this as the bumper sits in its place, I would remove the rear bumper and sills first as you may find some unwanted rust lurking about!! useally a good clean with some jif sorts out the rear panel from all the exhaust fumes and smoke over the years and the sills are useally all good to but worth checking before you go the whole hog!

Welcome!

Another M535i owner!

How many owners of M535i`s do we have now?

I`m still on TRX`s and hope to remain with them for a while.

I agree sly`s looks good `n` mean with the chrome bumpers and wheels,

but i`m not brave enough to take the m-kit off ,hate to think whats lurking under there!

Many regards,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

too true - I might find that the M bodykit is holding the sills together! Maybe something I'll get round to in the future. And as Jimmy says, I'll need a lower front panel too, might look a bit funny without! Maybe I'll be happier with my plastic bumpers when they're polished up properly. A lot of the body kit on my car seems to have been resprayed really badly.

Ben, are you the bloke who had all that trouble with your ignition barrel? I saw the saga on John G burns board, did you get it sorted? The car looks good, it's a nice colour and I think the TRXs look nice on it. My silver car looks a bit tired with its TRXs. Plus you havea grille M badge, mine's missing.

Jiimy, you're right about exhaust stains on the rear! Jeez, the rear numberplate lights looked like ceiling lights from a snooker club! Man they were filthy, as was the boot lid underneath-lippy-bit. Still is actually, can't be @rsed to clean it really.

I'm off to count the contents of my coppers jar to see if there's enough for a set of E31 rims. Erm...... no, but nearly enough for a Revell model E31!

Simon

Yep that was me!

Got the barrel all sorted.

All the gubbins such has ignition switch,barrel,lock and key for aprox £109 from bmw.

Only just got it back on the road this saturday after `bout 2 1/2 months searching for driveshafts,bearings,and guibo etc..!

Ben.

I reckon they are one of the nicest wheels you can fit to a sharknose bimmer.

seconded, i think jimmy has tried most different combinations on an e28 he,s yer man for wot n how , i had agg when loaded with the 17 x spokes so cut the arch lips off, no more agg, the alpina reps were 8.5x17 e34 offset they were fine also ;) have exhaust for m535 on garage roof your welcome to if you wanna collect (hornchurch) n various odds n sods

Roof, just bought a MiniMax dash mounted digital NOS controller with LED readout to enhance my system, this allows the solenoids to pulse and can be set to start delivery of NOS at 20 to 60%, also spread the charge over a 2 to 10 second period. :blink::D:wacko::huh:;):lol::lol:

ya better pop round again, while the missuses are gassin we can nip out n do a bit o gassin ourselves :lol:;)

The centre console now has 3 LED toggle switches monted on it,the ones with red flip covers, you know, the type that are fitted to fighter flight panels. :wacko::huh::wacko::blink:;):lol:

One is the remote bottle opener, another is the bottle heater and the other is the WOT arm switch. :wacko::wacko::wacko::blink::lol::D

Hi SharkAttack,

no I'm not avin'a tin bath! Though to be honest a tin bath would be more use than my 5er at the moment, brain-dead and off-road as it is. (off-road - how many Shogun owners could say the same?) Brain all fixed this week hopefully - I'll be easing through the Saaarf London jungle again.

the shark thing came from my mates at work with my old 520i, which i called the Green Shark, cos it was green and sharky. Got to hand it to BMW, I mean whoever decided, even in 1980, to fly in the face of 50 years of aerodynamic research and a make a car that shape, chiefly because it looked smart? Both my E28s have drawn favourable comments from neighbours, and sly glances from other drivers. I can't see me slobbering over a E65 in the year 2020.

Good to see another super-smart E28 in London. The traffic makes me consider a move back to the quieter environs of Cambridge, where driving to the shops is actually possible! Plus the M11 is 10 minutes away, no suburban drudgery to visit my family up near Peterborough. Sly, did you say you were near Cambridge? There were a couple of nice E28s there when I was living there, plus a black 750iL with a disabled sticker in the window. Cool - better transport than the usual disabled stereotype Metro, no mistake!

Ben - glad the M535i is now fixed. Here's hoping for a happy summer (such as it is) of motoring.

Roofer, I may be interested in the exhaust, and curious as to what the odds and sods are! I've heard a used BMW exhaust is better than a new Kwikfit/ Euro Car Farts exhaust. Might not fancy taking an NVQ in metal work just to fit new alloys though!

Adios

Si

Nevermind whether Tinshark is a good name - drilled pedals in a car that weighs 1500kg?? Must have saved 5g!

Whatever, looks smart. Good to see a smart, fast E28 in London. London drivers really have a tough time in terms of insurance, wear on transmission, general boredom etc.

Si