Maca

Alpine TUA-T100 DAB fitted + Intravee (full install starts)

Finally got round to fitting the DAB tuner today.

I'd already fitted the Intravee II and the Intravee switch as well as the Alpine CD player and the KAC-420i iPod controller.

Thanks to the Intravee most Alpine devices that are controlled by Ai-Net can be controlled via the oem HU (in my case the widescreen one).

The TUA-T100 is a rare item indeed as they stopped making them over 6 years ago, I missed the one that was for sale on here as I found out to late that I wouldn't have to put an areial on the roof to make it work. Then I missed another one on ebay, but as luck would have it I picked up a new in the box never used one from ebay germany.

dab7.jpg

I decided to put the unit in the right hand side of the boot as there is already loads of stuff in the left side

dab2.jpg

The TUA has a Ai-Net threw put so it sits after the intravee but before the switch, once plugged in you get an extra source on the Intravee menu "DAB"

My main concern was wher to put the areial and which type to use, splitter or glass mount and so on. In the end a installer that I know gave me a used kenwood glass mount one to try out a few ideas with.

At the moment the areial is mounted inside the rear bumper to the right of the car, the lead comes in where the PDC wires come in.

Dosen't look pretty as its taped in place and this was a test fit

dab1.jpg

However I think it will stay like this for a bit as it seems to be working and working well, ok so I've only tested it on the drive but at the moment its found 5 multiplex and I've got in the region of 70 stations :)

dab4.jpg

dab6.jpg

Need to test it on the move now, one concern is that there is alot of car for the signal to get threw if the signal happens to be coming from the front of the car so if this becomes a problem one idea is to fit another areial in the front bumper .......... I'll report back on this.

And heres a pic of the left habd side, I've got the Alpine CD changer, the KAC-420i control box and an iPod, the Intravee II and the Intravee switch. The beauty of this is that it lets me feed the DVD players sound in to the switch to via a Ai-Net to RCA convertor so I now get sound from that in stereo as well :)

dab3.jpg

All in all really pleased with the set up now (it will be fixed in place permanatly and neatly once I do the whole install), just need the processor, amps, speakers and subs now ...............

Edited by Maca

Paul, not sure if you found it, but if you fit a front and rear antenna this is the T piece I was talking about.

http://uk.farnell.com/radiall/r114780000/adaptor-smb-t-plug-to-plug-jack/dp/4194573

A T piece is not as good as a full diversity system, but it should be OK. You could probably adapt an OEM diversity antenna amp to run multiple DAB antennas if you really needed to.

Hmm so I could get an oem amplifier, some smb to fakra conectors, run two antennas into it and from that to the dab box with another adaptor.

Time to get down the breakers and see if I can find one with its conectors in place so I can wire power to it.

Cheers Richard, I've now added a 2nd antena in the front bumper on the opposite side.

Can't pick up any addtional channels but didn't think I would. This is just so that with luck I don't lose the signal to often when on the move. I used the spliter that you gave me the link for and 2 extention cables from Dabonwheels. Could have used one but as I wanted the 1st conection from the antena to stay in the front bumper incase it has to be taken off 4m wasn't enough so had to use 2 x 4m cables.

Will report back once I have the car out and about.

The best test would be to disconnect one of the antennas, does not matter much which, then drive around a bit until you either get 'burbles' or the DAB cuts out. Turn the car around, does the signal come back? If it does, turn round again, check you have no/poor signal and reconnect the other antenna - does the signal improve?

I'll give that a go once I'm out and about with it, need to tax it 1st :)

But I hope by having the two on it I should have it all covered (both sides, front and rear)

Well I was out in the car today and the good news is that on my drive from Berkshire to Ruislip, from Ruislip to Brands Hatch, from Brands Hatch back to Ruislip and from Ruislip to Wycombe I didn't lose a single channel.

I was told that Kiss was the hardest or one of the hardest to get on the move which is on multiplex "London 1" so I mainly listened to that. I did swap about a bit thou with the other channels to makes sure I wasn't losing them. There were a few odd times when I got a little burble for a few seconds but really no more than 3 times and that was as HGV's went passed so maybe their radio's interfered ?

However as soon as I came down the M40 into wycombe I lost "London 1" and "London 2". But kept "London 3" and the 2 national ones.

When I stopped at an Install place I know in Wyombe they said the same thing that they can't get those two in Wycombe and sure enough as soon as I drove out of Wycombe they both came back.

So all in all my window antena's hidden in the bumper seem to be working very very well indeed ............ very happy.

I have now changed mine from the splitter to this: http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-T4002_telescopic_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html only just installed it 2 days ago so still in testing mode to see if its any better, i do know if the aerial is not extended the signal is not very good.

Yes it has slightly changed the looks from oem but hopefully it is worth it, if not i will change back to the splitter as it was not that bad to be honest!

Argh I hate it when the site has a problem like this, where were we?

The one I was going to try was this one:

http://www.celsusice.co.uk/shopdisp_450.php

But it was a little to tall to maintain the oem look I wanted to keep.

This is the one I now have inside the bumper:

http://www.celsusice.co.uk/shopdisp_6217.php

Seems to work a treat, I didn't wire it up to 12v and even thou the Dab unit only puts out 9v it works fine. I may try and hook it up to 12v and see if its any better but then you have to put some sort of blocker inbetween so as not to damage the tuner (well thats what the alpine instructions say).

Even more gutted I missed one of these on ebay the other week - literally 30 seconds too late!

Sounds like an awesome piece of kit which, most importantly for me, looks like it can remain completely stealth yet still perform well

Yeah I put 1 in the rear bumper on the drivers side so that the lead can come in at the same place the PDC wires do, and then one in the front bumper on the passenger side. Idea being that you should then still get a signal no matter whether its coming towards the car, whether your driving away from it or if its coming from either side.

I then used a T-Pice so that both can plug in to the tuner at the same time.

WindsorandMaidenhead-20130219-00275_zpsf

With the front one I left most of the lead on antena bunched up in the bumper so that if it needs to come off I dont have to peal the antena off. I then used an extension lead which joins under the air box. Didn't even take the bumper off just took the passenger head light out.

Good work, will see how mine goes if i am not happy with it this is another option to consider.

I am already not sure on changing the aerial, as i think it has changed the oem looks a bit, i will give it a bit of time first.

Since Dan has pretty much finished his install its made me really want to get mine sorted.

So I'm now back on it.

Due to money and what not I am having to do it in stages:

Stage 1: Intravee, Intravee Switch, Break out Box, Alpine 420i + iPod, Alpine CD Player, Alpine DAB and DVD player: Completed.

Stage 2: Front and Rear Speakers, Alpine H100 processor and L.O.C

I've ordered all of the above bits now and should have them here in the next week or so, for the speakers I've chosen Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" for the front and Hybrid Audio Imagine 5.25" coax for the rear.

Pics to follow once they get here.

Paul i sent you a pm regarding the aerials you used, i have been down to celsus as they are not far from me and brought this one http://www.celsusice.co.uk/shopdisp_3034.php

They did not have the one you originally brought in stock but said this one is as good if not better, the problem is i can not seem to get it to work, not sure if the smb connector is slightly different.

Edited by robsey29

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I am installing an Alpine DAB unit on my E46 convertible and so have reached the sticky question of aerial choices.  I was interested in the bumper option as trying to find an external aerial that goes on a wing seems to be impossible - I'm very happy to be proven wrong.   

A few years on, what seems to work?

For my first attempt I am trying the naive approach of unplugging the external aerial amplifier and putting an amplified in-line splitter.  If nothing else I'll end up with a sample of adaptors thanks to those pesky fakra fixings.  

Hi Morv,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.  How are you doing that?  Could you explain a bit?

Thanks,

David

Just unplugged it from the fm tuner and plugged it into the DAB. I think it's the same connector but it was years ago so I'm not sure.

The connector is very similar for a BM54, you need to remove the plastic housing.  For a BM24 it's different and you need an ISO to FAKRA adaptor.

22 minutes ago, morv said:
36 minutes ago, caveman said:
Hi Morv,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.  How are you doing that?  Could you explain a bit?

Thanks,

David

Just unplugged it from the fm tuner and plugged it into the DAB. I think it's the same connector but it was years ago so I'm not sure.

Thanks Morv,

Very useful that may be worth a punt as the I could leave it powered up.

Thanks,

David

Thanks Morv,

Very useful that may be worth a punt as the I could leave it powered up.

Thanks,

David

See RichardPs post. He is the man to ask anything intravee regarded.

Thanks although I do have a query on the intravee front.  Does anyone else find that they sometimes have to tweak the connection between the (in my case) iphone and the lead to get it to recognise that an ipod is plugged in?  I've only just put this in so may need to tape the connector (I'm using an inline voltage adaptor with an iPh one 4 so that it charges) to the iPod (iphone for me)?

Thanks,

Davidi