Columbus

E61 tailgate hinge wiring problems once again :)

65 posts in this topic

Playing with an e61 which has no central locking remote no heated rear screen and no radio memory. Boot lid and glass lift still working fine but when you pop either there is the most horrible noise like the motor jamming or something.

Anyway thanks to many guides on the interweb i stripped out the rear speaker and the wiring to find the coax on the left side is damaged-arial?? The brown high amperage wire for the heated screen intact and continuity to ground on it is good.

On the other side the glass lift wiring was damaged but not severed and the live to the screen was severed (i assume live as i have no wiring diagram but its thick cable red/white/) aswell as three other small cables all repaired and sort of put back together for testing to find nothing works still.

The noise seems to have stopped when opening the boot but that only happened after i'd been fiddling with looms again. Heated screen does not seem to get warm.

The central locking remote doesn't work still so i had a look at the ariel diversity box.

The pink ribbon connector the ribbon is attached to nothing what/where is it meant to attach too?

The box had signs of water damage so i have opened it as much as possible i can see oxidisation on the circuit board so i assume its fudged.

I want to try and sort the rear window if possible the 40amp maxi fuse in the rear fuse box is intact but when the button is pressed there is no live on the red/white cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated does what i've done sound right dead diversity module causing the lack of remote and radio memory and possible relay failure on the heated screen?

Cheers James

Well got a bit further the heated screen wiring was sorted by my wiring repair its just the screen heater will not be activated without the engine running.

Still no closer to getting the central locking remote to work from what i have worked out scanning the internet the pink ribbon connector goes into the rear hatch. Does anyone know what is controls or does? Obviously i want to replace the diversity module but what nots going to work when the new one is fitted?

The horrible noise is the load cover release solenoid on the near side it is functioning just making a stupid noise.

HI I'm newbie here, hoping to get some similar advice. My wife's E61 had the radio pack up. I removed the diversity amp from under the rear spoiler to get the part number.  It was full of water and very corroded and probably shot. To answer some of your questions - without it,  the remote does not work niether does the unlock switch for the glass. The tail gate does unlock though.

Here is where it gets interesting. I stupidly put things back without the diversity amp and shut the glass so she could use the car.

Now i cant open the glass to get the spoiler off to replace the new amp.

I cant remove the tailgate liner to get to the lock because having got all the screws and clips off-- Guess what. there are two screws accessed from,  you guessed it, the bottom edge of the rear window shelf, under the glass which I cant get open.

My next thought was going in through the roof speaker I could access the wiring to power the unlock but with the diversity amp missing and no connection through to the lock that wont work. This is the same fault as all the other owners are having with broken wiring looms.

Having thought about it overnight, today I removed the rear wiper arm and the big nut under that, hoping to release the rear glass.  I cant get the small handle with the switch in it to come off yet but I have read somewhere that the wiper part underneath is bonded to the glass. Otherwise this would be an easy way in for a thief !

Does anyone have a clue how I can open the rear glass without either smashing it or destrying the rear boot liner. Trying to work out the cheapest Option !

Any help or advice gratefully recieved.

I would suggest shorting the wires that go to the glass release, which is what i had to do when my glass stopped opening

hI and many thanks for taking the trouble to help.

Unfortunately as I have removed the diversity amp and the power to the glass release is routed through it, I dont think shorting the switch will work as the switch is actually working..

I think the switch is in the power or earth line but if I can get the small handle / switch asembly off tomorrow ill try to find out..

I guess I either have to get power in there somehow, or get at it mechanically. I cant think of a way without breaking somehting expensive ?

thankfully I've never had to look up close at the fat arse of an E61, but just to throw out an idea, can you remove the switch/handle you normally use to open the tailgate door/glass? In which case you could have access to the wires and then short them out?

If you can get a wiring diag and find if its 12v powering the glass release? If so just take a inline-fused feed straight from a battery to the corresponding pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk watch out for autocorrect!!

Many thanks Baus and to Aaron-P85

The issue is that there is no power going down there. This is because I have removed the diversity unit which has the release power cables plugged into into it.

Now I have stupidly shut the glass I cant get to the cable that supplies power.

Because there is no power going down there, shorting the switch or trying to use any form of reset won't work.

Using an idependent power supply is the way to go but I cant get the tailgat liner off ( withiut destroying it) to get to the wires on the release lock.

The switch unit should come off but to date I havn't managed too and the switch is only in one side. shorting it or even putting power on it wont work unless I can get to the other side.

This is the same issue other members have had when the wire supplying power has broken in the hinge.

BMW don't know of a solution. I guess some clever owner out there may have a work around but he or she is hard to find.

I'll have another fiddle today and check on the price of a new tailgate liner tomorrow, I hope its cheaper than a replacement glass!

BMW don't know of a solution. I guess some clever owner out there may have a work around but he or she is hard to find.

Blobbly's your man, he's into a fat rear end, and he's clever too! :P

Blobbly's your man, he's into a fat rear end, and he's clever too! :P

:rolleyes:

I have read if you remove the inside of the rear hatch where the triangle is, then you should be able to get right into the release mechanism. It's work trying that rather than smash the glass

Hi Smashing the galss was the worst scenario. If you remover the triangle cover you cant get to the solenoid on my 06 but I was contemplating cutting a window in the liner here as when the carpeted triangle cover is in place you would not see it. I also saw a picture of an older tourer with a release cord under here but I gues they have save 50 cents and removed it.

Anyway I finally found a way today without destroying anything and have written up a method although I hope you never have to use it!

Many thanks for all your suggestions

opening 520D E61 tailgate glass.pdf

Blobby and jasontmarks like this

Hi Smashing the galss was the worst scenario. If you remover the triangle cover you cant get to the solenoid on my 06 but I was contemplating cutting a window in the liner here as when the carpeted triangle cover is in place you would not see it. I also saw a picture of an older tourer with a release cord under here but I gues they have save 50 cents and removed it.

Anyway I finally found a way today without destroying anything and have written up a method although I hope you never have to use it!

Many thanks for all your suggestions

opening 520D E61 tailgate glass.pdf

Hi I no this is a long time ago now but I've got exactly the same problem and I Connor open your link.

I was wondering if it's available anywhere else?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worth keeping an eye on this for future issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk