RichardP

Do you have this issue? :- Intravee source randomly switches to radio.

Do you have this problem with the firmware version displayed in the picture or an earlier version?

6.02-6970 implemented a very high priority iBus message queue which should significantly reduce the problem. Until someone can log the iBus messages of an AWOL with this build or higher I don't know how to improve things further.

I will let you know once I reconnect everything I connect it just to take the pic. I am waiting for the DSP adapter to finish my install. You guys are great 

OK when outside and mess around for a little the unit goes from main screen to Map as soon turn on cd mode.

Edited by franco90

Do you have this problem with the firmware version displayed in the picture or an earlier version?

6.02-6970 implemented a very high priority iBus message queue which should significantly reduce the problem. Until someone can log the iBus messages of an AWOL with this build or higher I don't know how to improve things further.

yes this unit is there a way to hard reset the unit. it has log error of 9 

The Intravee hard resets every time you leave the car. Items in the error log are to some extent normal, it depends what they are! If you look at the Setup -> Diagnostics -> Status menu, the Fatal, Recovery, Sleep Fail and Watchdog counts are important. You will get one 'Recovery' each time you disconnect the power from the Intravee and it's not asleep, so one or two are normal.

I got this problem too.

But it was only after updating the intravee to 6993 and further.

With the old v6.00-1128, I've never seen this problem for approximately two years...

Edit:

I forgot my data:

P/N:6972666

BM54 Aux

Wk:24, 2005

HW:04 SW:98

Gen 2

Becker

0x20

Edited by SpeedUp

If anyone can log this happening it would be exceedingly helpful.

6993 should be less prone to this happening than 1128, although there are a lot of other factors on the iBus side that could be effecting things.  For example, there is actually a bug in the 1128 iBus driver that may help prevent an AWOL! The inter message time is too short, this would mean that Intravee messages would in effect have a higher priority than they should which in turn would mean that the CD Changer response would be sent more quickly.

1st car: E46 330i touring (04/2004)

Intravee:

Vers 6.02

Build 6993 (EF)

B/L v5.5

Net IC A v131

Net IC B v12

Radio Module:

P/N=6964400

BM54 Aux

Wk:04, 2005

HW:03 SW:58

Gen2

Becker

0x20

2nd car: E46 330i Cabrio (12/2003)

Intravee:

Vers 6.02

Build 6993 (EF)

B/L v5.5

Net IC A v131

Net IC B v12

Radio Module:

P/N=6934649

BM54 Aux

Wk:42, 2003

HW:03 SW:86

Gen2

Becker

0x20

On the first car I get one AWOL per week. On the second car I get at least an AWOL ever day. The only difference as per the installed devices is the second has an analog TV tuner (non usable today).

I will install build 7058 today on both and get back after I have some experience with.

Most interestingly when I got the Intravees out of the box I did not experience a single AWOL back then.

This is the first post here and it is critics. However if it would not be the single handily best investement I ever did (safe for the car itself) I would not even post here.

This is a marvelous piece of kit. I would like to thank you.

Edited by jwbuser

If you could manage to take an iBus log (see the sticky) of an AWOL it would be a massive help in trying to determine the cause of this.

There was actually a bug in the earlier Intravee firmware iBus driver that could have helped the AWOL problem, the driver did not allow enough time between the last packet seen and the Intravee sending a message. This in effect gave the Intravee the highest priority on the bus, good for getting out a high priority message (like the poll response that is required to stop an AWOL) but not good for other devices if there is a lot of iBus traffic from the Intravee.

Interesting that you have two different radio part number and yet the have identical production date, hardware and software versions.

To give you an idea of the variability of this problem, I've not had an AWOL for over 2 years.

Interesting that you have two different radio part number and yet the have identical production date, hardware and software versions.

Good catch! Na, I was just too eager to post and too lazy to edit the copy/past I did from the first. I corrected the original post.

I will read the sticky and try to get an AWOL logged. Should I therefore downgrade to 6993 or leave 7058 installed?

I am already logging... Car is in garage, Ignition on Level 1 (Radio on). Notebook (run on power) in the trunk streaming wireless to the NAS. Car is attached to a battery charger as well. Running through song list on iPod. Will occasionally remote login to the notebook in order to see on the emulator if it still plays or if switched back to Radio. So far around 200kB collected for ca. 35min runtime.

You may find that it never AWOLs in this state. You may need to have random events occurring which interact with the Intravee messages which occur while you are driving. Light levels changing, indicators, engine temp/speed etc. TMC messages to the radio, Nav messages giving position. There are a lot of messages that are significantly reduced in frequency when stationary without the engine running.

But if it does do it, that would be great!

Well, to me at least it appeared to just happen out of the blue. I do not remember doing anything except driving. First I was puzzled, because I tought it would be a traffic message but instead played a song starting in the middle or something like that. After a while I figured that this would be rather a glitch than on purpose.

So to me it is not like it would be connected to pressing buttons or doing something else with system therefore increasing ibus traffic. It would do it because it thinks it has to. However as to why it thinks it has to remains a mystery.

A starting point could also be at looking to 6.02.1128 (I believe this was the original firmware out of the box on mine). I do not remember it did it once with this firmware, altough my memory fades fast...

As I said, there was a bug in the iBus driver in 1128 that would have masked the problem, but I had AWOLs quite regularly although I think for another reason.

I found that I could replicate the problem quite easily, drive for a while, stop the engine but leave the ignition on for several minutes, start the engine and drive off, AWOL would occur after about 1 minute. This turned out to be a bug in the radio, although I'm not sure why this sequence caused it. The radio would forget to sent the poll, but still expected the response! You may find that you have messages in the log which say "Poll expected not not seen" this is a trap of that situation, the Intravee will now send the response even if the poll is not sent and that fixed the problem for me.

I suspect, and indeed have seen in the past, that there are many causes of this problem. It's not something simple to fix, it's really very difficult and caused by a poll response mechanism that is just of appalling design and implementation by whoever specified it (finger pointed at BMW and Becker, but also Philips, and Alpine!).

I apologize for the long disconnect (for various reasons).

Since I installed 7058 I had no AWOLs. At least on one of the cars (drove couple of thousand km since last post). The other stood in the garage. Was not moved after the upgrade.

While this is no prove at least it alleviated the problem from anoying to almost non-existent (at least in my case). I do really appreciate your dedication and help to support the product also in the long term.

Keep my fingers crossed.

Yes, this happened to me twice while I was driving. The radio came on while the navi monitor still shows the iPod music playing. The radio not just only came on, it was not on any selected or preset channels. I also noticed, if I shutdown the engine and leave the cars with a preset radio channel that was playing. On my return when restarting the car, the same or none of the preset channels are on the radio. I have to re-select a preset channel to continue to play the radio. This happens only on returning to the car for about an half hour or more.

I had that maybe twice in a year, everytime driving around for a minimum of 30 minutes (no breaks), and trying to switch the mode does not switch back to the intravee, it seems as if the intravee was rebooting or something like that, you have to wait for several seconds until you can switch back to the intravee.

Just to give you some feedback on this, no one has yet sent me a log of the problem occurring! So if anyone is getting it regularly, PLEASE try and take a log.

I am still reading here. Since I upgraded to 7078 (still there, no sure if newer exist?) I never had an AWOL since.

I made a typo back then: it is Version 7058. Anyway the main fact is true still: No AWOLs since the upgrade to this.

Edited by jwbuser

I think, more by luck than judgement, I might have found 'a' cause of this at last. I say 'a' rather than 'the' because I think there are multiple causes, some of which I already know about and have handled as well as possible.

I have logged 2 AWOLs on the bench while stress testing text scrolling, both logs show the same sequence of messages. I'm working on and testing a solution, so hopefully the problem should be very much reduced.

Reasonably confident that I've nailed this one now.  

Previously, under stress test conditions with massive amounts of iBus traffic, I manager to reproduce an AWOL in 2-3 hours reasonably consistently.  With the changes I've made it's been running for over 120 hours continuously with no AWOL.

I've known for some time that the radio does not like seeing a message addressed to it between the CDC poll and the response from the CDC.  The Intravee goes to pretty great lengths to prevent this, but the AWOL was still happening.  

There is another condition, usually after the ignition is turned to accessory and then the engine restarted, whereby the radio 'forgets' to send it's poll, but still expects a response!  Fortunately the poll occurs at very precise intervals, so the Intravee has a timer which is set to send the response after a fixed time even if no poll is seen.

Looking at the AWOL logs it became apparent what the cause was.  The only way to display text on the monitor is to send as if it's from the radio, the monitor then acknowledges the text display back to the radio.  Guess what, if the timing is just right (or just wrong!) the Intravee sends the text update message, the radio sends the CDC poll and then the monitor sends the display update ack before the Intravee can send the response - the radio then assumes the CDC has been disconnected and the AWOL occurs 2 seconds later.  It's just unbelievably poor design, no retry, nothing, lets just assume the CDC has been unplugged even though it's just replied to our poll!

Just to add to the difficulty detecting this condition, if you turn on iBus logging in the Intravee, it alters the timing so that it's almost impossible for the 'wrong timing' to occur!  I had to log the iBus with another device.

The solution is to use the existing poll timer and prevent the Intravee from sending any text updates just before the poll is due, just a 100 millisecond window is enough so you don't see it, but it prevents the possibility of the display ack getting between the poll and response,

If anyone wants to test the fix please reply to this thread.

Edited by RichardP