RichardP

Do you have this issue? :- Intravee source randomly switches to radio.

There is a problem that some people report and others never or very rarely see which causes the radio to think that the CD Changer (and hence Intravee) has been unplugged so it switches back to the radio. This has become known as an AWOL (the Intravee is Absent With Out Leave!).

The basic problem is that the radio periodically requests the CD Changer state, it expects an exact reply within a tight time scale, otherwise it assumes the CD Changer has been disconnected. This is compounded a little by the fact that there are 2 different ways the radio can poll and two ways the CD Changer needs to reply. Once this has happened the CD Changer source can not be selected again until the next poll/response 20 seconds later.

The basic mechanism of the radio poll and response is flawed and it does not even follow BMW own specification for this mechanism. The implementation has two points of failure, if either the poll or response message do not occur correctly then the CD Changer is assumed to have been unplugged, there is no retry. The BMW specification says that there should be 3 retries before assuming a device is no longer available.

Even before I started using the Intravee I've known about this problem, the device I used on my Alpine CHA-S634 before the Intravee had it! With that device it would go AWOL about every 30 minutes on average!

There are also a lot of other subtle things that can cause an AWOL and these have been refined ever since the Intravee was designed, for example I found I could replicate an AWOL every time in my E39 if I turned the engine off but not the ignition, waited a few minutes then started the engine. After 1 minute exactly the AWOL would occur. Fixing a reproducible problem like that is relatively easy.

The big problem with this issue is that some cars are much more prone to the problem than others and as it happens randomly it's very hard to log it happening. It even appears that logging for it can prevent it happening!

Many people never see it at all.

Some people see it once in a blue moon and don't even register it's a problem, maybe it was a TP channel glitch.

Some people get it quite frequently, several times on a longer trip.

Obviously I'd like to get to the bottom of this, I have a couple of ideas. So, what I'd like to do is get as much information from people who see this problem on their cars and in particular the radio module. Even if you've never seen this problem it would be usefull to know!

I'd like to know :

The part number.

The build date (KW).

The HW and SW number.

How often you get an AWOL.

All this information is available from the Intravee Nav menu, so it's not difficult to find. Go to the Setup, Extras, Vehicle Info, Device Info and finally Radio Module, you should then see the information.

For anyone who has had an AWOL with the latest firmware I'd like to see a short iBus log, ideally taken when the radio source is selected to minimise the iBus traffic. To take an iBus log do the following :

- Connect up the Intravee to your PC and run the downloader program as if you were updating the firmware.

- In the downloader select File, Expert Mode. The first time you select Expert Mode you will be prompted to enter a log file prefix name, use your forum name or something that allows you to be easily identified.

- In the downloader select File, Start Log, select file name and location.

- In the downloader select Controls, Run emulator.

- In the emulator dialog press the button "IBUSDON".

- perform the action you want to log, in this case just let the radio play for 1 minute.

- In the emulator dialog press the button "IBUSDOFF".

- Close the emulator dialog.

- In the downloader select File, End Log.

You should now have a log of all ibus activity between selecting IBUSDON and IBUSDOFF in the emulator.

Please ZIP up the log and attach it to a post in this thread. This short log will tell me which type of polling your radio does which hopefully will narrow down the problem.

Never seen that P/N rob, could you do an iBus log of entering the 'Radio Module' menu. Is that basically a BM24 with round pins, or does it look more like a BM54? Could you do an iBus log of the poll.response too, just out of interest!

Edited by RichardP

I get the AWOL problem where it switches to the radio about once every week.  90% of the time it happens when I push the down volume button on the steering wheel.  The rest of the time it just occurs out of nowhere.  I'll perform the test this weekend.

P/N=6904213     Gen 1

BM53 (Old)          Becker

Wk:41, 2001       0x20

HW:01 SW:63

I get the AWOL problem where it switches to the radio about once every week.  90% of the time it happens when I push the down volume button on the steering wheel.  The rest of the time it just occurs out of nowhere.  I'll perform the test this weekend.
Thanks, the more data the better! That's one of the oldest BM53's.
I'll do it Richard, but it probably won't be till next week mate. Its a single tuner version, like a BM24 but minus the heatsink.
Sounds like a Philips PH7851 rob, note the round blob on the top.

post-30340-0-58642200-1357313826.jpg

Edited by RichardP

Hi,

I've updated firmware to 6963. I didn't experienced an awol with it today.

I had lots of awol with firmware 6959 yesterday.

My radio:

P/N 6976963

BM54 MP3

Wk:18, 2011

HW:04 SW:43

If you need more info, do not hesitate!

And that's the newest radio I've ever seen!

It uses BOTH poll mechanisms, it's identical to the radios I have in my bench setup and in the car, although mine are slightly older.

So far we have :

No AWOL

Rover radio, Maybe PH7051 equivelent, WK29 2004
BM24, P/N 6907130, Wk:14, 2001

AWOLs
BM53, P/N 6904213, Wk:41, 2001
BM54, P/N 6976963, Wk:18, 2011

Is there a trend already?

brianthechemist, that's one of the first Bm53's to support the Sirius tuner.

Update on reults

No AWOL

Rover radio, Maybe PH7051 equivelent, WK29 2004

BM24, P/N 6907130, Wk:14, 2001

AWOLs

BM53, P/N 6904213, Wk:41, 2001

BM53, P/N 6927910, Wk 29, 2003

BM54, P/N 6976963, Wk:18, 2011

Edited by RichardP

Hey Richard. I recently updated to  firmware 6941 and AWOL is now less the previous firmware.

Radio- BM53 Sir Becker

Build Date- Wk:03, 2004

Hw & Sw- Hw:03  Sw:94

AWOL- Once or Twice per day

Having issues with battery in laptop so have to run program at later date.

Hey Richard. I recently updated to  firmware 6941 and AWOL is now less the previous firmware.

Radio- BM53 Sir Becker

Build Date- Wk:03, 2004

Hw & Sw- Hw:03  Sw:94

AWOL- Once or Twice per day

Having issues with battery in laptop so have to run program at later date.

Is the once or twice a day with 6.02-6941 or was that previously?

Mine has just done this this morning. I only installed the Intravee/Alpine a few days ago, both brand new units from Toysinyourcar. It worked perfectly fine for 4 or 5 days since I originally installed it but yesterday I had the wake up mod done to the Alpine unit. This morning It worked without going in the boot to wake the ipod so i think the mod is successful. I am still on the shipped firmware though, I have bought a cable from Maplins to do the firmware update when I get chance. Mines a 51 M3 with a Mk3 nav.

Which unit should I be looking at? The first one at the bottom is the TV tuner, that's had the Baris Xcalibar digital mod. Is it the unit behind that?

I've been in the car quite a lot today and its not done it again.

25D9E362-E385-4C61-A398-B3A6C11576DD-171

To save you ripping stuff apart, the easiest way is by updating the Intravee firmware and then using the Intravee to tell you as described in the first post. But yes, it's the one that's between the TV module and the amp, looks like a BM54 to me, but it's hard to tell.

Ah, a round pin BM54. Interesting!

But you can't say no AWOL yet, they can take a long time! You can positively say that you DO get them, but not so quickly that you DON'T!! If you don't get one for a year, using it most days, then that's probably safe!