RichardP

KCA-420i wake-up mod

Hey Richard,

Are you still offering to do these mods?

I had a go.. and frankly, I seriously over-estimated my rusty skills with a soldering iron! :(

I might have damaged the board a bit, but do you think (by looking at the photo) that this is salvageable?

If so, and if you're still happy to do it, could you pass me your details?

IMG_0013.JPG

That does not look like it's damaged beyond repair.  The damage looks like it's not an important part of the board, there are other points to pick up a 5V supply.

If you post it together with a stamped addressed envelope for return I'll mod it for you.

Edited by RichardP

Hi there

I have tested this Mod.But i don´t work for me.I´ve drilled the via and solder the cable.KCA420 still works,but Ipod touch 4.gen don´t stand up after start engine.So i´ve to push button in trunk. :( LOad the ipod also won´t do!

Ist the Ipod touch the problem?

The mod will work for any iPod.

However the iPod must be capable of being charged, so all but the earliest Touch will need a charge converter.

Does you iPod Touch show the charging symbol?

The mod looks ok as far as I can tell, unless one end of the wire is not making contact.

Any iPod Nano with a dock connector should work without a charge converter, so the gen 2 (tall and thin, Aluminium case with curved sides) should charge without one.

Hi guys,

New here, only recently did I learned about Intravee, had my '02 E39 M5 since 2005 and the Icelink+ I had finally gave up so Intravee II + KCA-420i it goes...  Been trying to read up but I guess I didn't read enough, I did the wake up mod yesterday and it appeared to be working properly (waking up the iPod etc).  

But after reading a post by Richard saying don't use multi strand wire as it could ruin the KCA-420i and now I'm worried, so two issues, I did the via drilling and wire soldering together, is there anyway now to tell is the via is drilled out properly?  And the wire I used is just regular automotive multi strand 18 gauge wire, is that bad even though it's working properly now?  Should I take it apart and redo it with single strand wire?

Thanks!

If you have used multi strand wire and it's working, you should be ok.  The issue is normally that the wire unravels a bit and can cause a short.

drilling out the via is a procaution. The ideal way to check the via is drilled out is to connect and iPod before the wire is added, if the track has been broken the iPod will not charge. If you have drilled right through the board then it will almost certainly be ok.

Thanks for the quick reply Richard!  Intravee is really worth every single penny!  Thank you for keeping this product alive for us late comers!  Oh, one my quick question, my car doesn't have Nav computer so it's on the TV module layout, the problem is I can't figure out how to set the clock without GPS, I tried selecting the date etc but nothing worked...

There are several versions of the TV UI and it's a long time since I've used then to actually 'do' something!  There should be a set clock option in the TV UI settings menu, it may be on the 2nd page.