RichardP

KCA-420i wake-up mod

Hi all,

im new year and been catching up on old threads so sorry to reastart old one!

this mod works a treat and wondered if anyone knows how to get a dock to work with the 420i as tryin to do my own mod but as soon as the dock connected it says unrecongnised device or something similar!!! please help

Hi all,

Im new hear and have been reading old threads and hoping someone on this one can help me! i have the above 420i which works perfect with above mod but im tryin to do my own mod! can anyone help me basically im tryin to get a dock work with my 420i but as soon as its connected it doesnt find the ipod at all say ne recognised or something similar!!?? please help

I'm still not sure exactly what you want! To me a 'basic dock' is just a clamp that holds your iPod and you plug in the dock connect cable to the bottom of the iPod!

Holy cow ! Wasn't expecting the board to be that small. Had to use a magnifying glass and my wife's trading glasses and hold a torch in my mouth. Sharpend my iron to a point and dived in. Good news, it's still working- bad news I'm not sure it's working as I still have to press the button on my touch to wake it up May have another go at the weekend.

Does the iPod charge at all?

If it does not then you have drilled the via out but the mod is not working.

If it does then you probably have not drilled the via out and the mod wire is not working!

Pulled it apart again this morning. obviously need more magnifying power ! one end of the wire was just stuck to the coating rather than soldered. I wonder how many times I`m going to end up doing the pixel repair ?

Edit ------ just the once it would appear !!! -------------

Edited by Rewmer

I don't have an exchange board, you have to send yours to me. However, it would probably be cheaper to get a local electronics shop to do it for you if you can't do it yourself. Probably worth asking around locally before sending it all the way to the UK and back!

I don't have an exchange board, you have to send yours to me. However, it would probably be cheaper to get a local electronics shop to do it for you if you can't do it yourself. Probably worth asking around locally before sending it all the way to the UK and back!

Yeah I'll ask my tech if he can attempt to do this tomorrow. Thanks Richard.

Can someone please explain the steps for modifying the 420i?

I can see in the photo that Richard posted, that the via needs to be drilled out and I get that step.

What I can't seem to understand, is how to or where exactly to solder the two ends of the wire to.  I've starred at the board for awhile today using a magnifying glass, but I have no idea where to start.

After drilling out the via, should I use the same drill bit and connect the wire to the board?

Can someone please just give a little more detail?  

Thank you,

Derrick

Jacksonville, Florida

The wire is soldered to the left pad of capacitor position C209 (the capacitor itself is NOT installed on the board) which gives +5V and the bottom 'pin' of the transistor Q203. It is CRITICAL that the wire does not bridge the two pins on the transistor Q203.

You do not need to drill anything else except the via in order to prevent the main KCA-420i CPU from being back fed from the new wire.

As I always re-iterate, do not attempt this mod if you are not 100% confident you can do it, it is quite easy to ruin the KCA-420i if you use the wrong wire (multi strand), use a soldering iron with a bit that's too big or at the wrong temperature or just generally don't know enough about soldering small components.