RichardP

KCA-420i wake-up mod

Just did this mod and works great! Got tired off jumping to the trunk almost everyday to turn on my ipod and didn't want to move the iPod to the front of the car because it's inaccessible when connected.

The only problem I had is when I was soldering the wire, part of the board covered with a clear blue covering. I had to scrape it off to reveal the contact points before I soldered the wire on to the points.

Is the drilling out the via required? As the direct line to charge the iPod is there once the wire is connected. I drilled it anyway and the mod works, but I don't if I drilled it enough.

Richard gave me the hint:

Perform the drilling step before soldering the wire. Then try if the ipod still charges before soldering the wire.. If it still charges, it means you didnt drill enough to break the via! It took me 4 tries to finally break the via. Another hint is to use the drill bit between your fingers, dont use a drill to do it. Just the bit rolling back and forth between your fingers.

I hope this helps you!

Not drilling out the via will lead to the main KCA-420i CPU being back feed by the supply from the new wire. Although I could not say that this will cause any problem, it's generally a very bad thing to do.

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I'm going to take out the kca420i out again and check that the via is disconnected using the method Schtozo mentioned. Don't want it to fry the CPU and have to buy a new one. They've become increasingly expensive and hard to find.

Thanks again for this mod and continued support of the Intravee II. Love this thing.

Just update the firmware to the latest you posted up on another thread. Works perfect except when setting the time through the Intravee, it always sets it to AM.

The time problem has been reported before when in 12 hour mode, it works in 24 hour mode though. I'm not sure exactly wht the problem is, but I'll look into it.

I would like to do this mod but I have zero experience with soldering (and don't own a soldering iron anyway) and am pretty sure I'll fry the thing if I try! Is there anyone in the US who could do it for me?

RichardP, I'm new to this board and picked up the tip with regards to soldering the wire for the wake up mod. It was very small and when i thought i had it done, the ipod no longer charges at all. It still plays etc though. I found getting the solder onto the board really hard to do. Is there a knack to it? Any chance of a video of you performing the mod? Have i killed the board now do you think?

Thanks

Steve

E46 330ci

You need a very fine tipped temperature controlled soldering iron to do the job properly. Use plenty of flux too. I always melt the solder on the board first without the wire to make sure there is enough solder and it's clean.

If you have drilled out the via then the iPod won't charge unless the mod is in place, if you can take a picture of your mod I'll look to see if there is any obvious problem.

Thank you for the reply Richard. I had another go today and placed solder on the pcb points then the wire onto this. Worked first time. Thanks for the inspiration. Hope the ipod does not drain the battery in the car now.

I bought the Alpine DAB add on last week and fitted in at the weekend. I have managed to tune some stations but am not sure that I did it right and am getting the best from the hardware. Saving stations etc seems a bit hit and miss. There seems to be banks of stations accessed by pressing the 1-6 numbers on the head unit, but if I save a station to the 1-6 numbers how do I access the bank of stations again? I was wondering if there were some tips on the best set up from members that have this.

Thanks

Steve

DAB stations are organised in a set of multiplexes or "Ensembles", for example there is a BBC multiplex, Digital 1 multiples and usually several local multiplexes. Modern DAB tuners usually have twin tuners that scan constantly for multiplexes and present a nice alphabetically sorted list for you to select from, the TUA-T100DAB does not!

To scan for multiplexes you use a long press of the < or > key, the scan will stop when a multiplex is found. To select a station within a multiplex, use a short press of < or >.

Switching channels within a multiplex is very fast, scanning for a multiplex is much slower.

You can save a pre set by tuning to a station, then either highlight the pre set location and press and hold the rotary controller or press and hold the number key of the pre set you want to save. The name of the station should be saved in the pre set location.

You can either select a pre set bank directly from the main menu on the right side, or from the pre sets menu on the left. If you select the pre set option then the bottom left menu item will select the next bank. If you select the bank directly then the bottom left option is Auto Store. The Auto Store feature will store the first station of each multiplex found, but will not name the pre sets it will just label the pre set as 'Auto Stored'. You can name the pre sets by selecting it and re-saving it, if the name was 'Auto Stored' then it will be named from the Multiplex name and not the station name.

How you setup the pre set banks depends on what you listen to and where you drive. I have one pre set bank set to may favourite stations on the two national multiplexes (BBC and Digital 1). Then bank 2 is an Auto Store of the multiplexes local to my home. Bank 3 is used to auto store multiplexes if I'm away from home.

Am considering using wire glue and cocktail stick rather than soldering, any reason why this approach should not be attempted?

I'd say a pretty good reason is that the vibrations and bumps in a car will stop that working pretty quickly.

Have you actually looked at the components that need connecting?

Edited by RichardP

Thank you Richard P.

I will have a KCA-420 that should be arriving by Wednesday, and this Mod is the first thing I will be performing.  In regard to the KCA-420, it is my understanding that the power output to the i-pod is 12Vdc, and the I-pod's (Nano 5G in my case) power input requirement is 5Vdc.  Other than a voltage converter (e.g. Scosche IFWR) is there an easy way to modify the KCA-420's 12 Vdc output with a 5Vdc regulator?

The 12V vs 5V problem is not quite that simple.

The dock connector has two power lines, one 12V that was used with the FireWire connector (originally the only connector supported) and a 5V line used by the USB connection.

The cable from the KCA-420i does not have a wire connected to the 5V pin on the dock connector, so it's not possible to have something inside the KCA-420i without modifying the dock connector as well. If you are going to modify the dock connector the easiest way is with an adapter ....

Thank you, Richard.   This is what I was afraid was the case, but one can always hope.

Cheers.

Edited by agm5

That said, I did have a look at this a while ago and if you were happy to cut up the KCA-420i ipod lead and also the alpine KCE-422i (modded with the 5v block), then I think it would be possible to make a lead that would supply the 5v from the KCA-420i

I've been meaning to get a spare KCA-420i ipod lead and try it. (I have the KCE-422i modded lead already).

Ordered the iSimple Revolt mini $5.99 on Amazon

Update:

The iSimple Revolt is simply revolting.  It will work to charge the iPod but for some reason there is no communication with the iSimple.

I ended up ordering the Scosche IFWA Passport.  It works perfectly.

Edited by agm5