RichardP

KCA-420i wake-up mod

A few people have asked about the KCA-420i wake up mod as the details on the Intravee forum are no longer available.

One of the problems with the KCA-420i is that it won't wake up an iPod from Deep Sleep or Hibernation mode.  The KCA-420i detects the existence of an iPod via the accessory line from the iPod.  If there is no iPod detected it won't charge the iPod.  Unfortunately when the iPod enters power saving mode it cuts the accessory line power so the KCA-420i can not detect it.  The iPod will only wake up if a button is pressed or the iPod starts charging via the dock connector.  The iPod/KCA-420i are deadlocked once the iPod enters power saving mode, the KCA-420i waits for the iPod, the iPod waits for the KCA-420i.  The detection mechanism also means that the unmodified KCA-420i will not charge an iPod if it's battery has become totally flat, the iPod must have enough charge to complete the power up sequence.

All iPods, except the iPhone, enter Deep Sleep or Hibernation to conserve battery life,

Older iPods, Gen 3, Gen 4, Photo and Mini, use Deep Sleep.  These iPods enter Deep Sleep after about 36 hours, on resuming from Deep Sleep the iPod defaults to playing the first track.  Deep Sleep can be prevented by placing a file called _no_deepsleep in the iPod_Control/Devices folder.  Deep Sleep can also be prevented by using calendar reminders, one repeating reminder that triggers once a day is sufficient.

Newer iPods, Video, Classic and Gen 1,2 and 3 Nanos use Hibernation.  Hibernation starts after about 14 hours, on resuming Hibernation the iPod resumes where it left off.  Hibernation can be prevented by using calendar reminders, but the type of reminder varies between iPods.  The iPod Video, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Nano can use 2 reminders 12 hours apart that repeat every day.  The iPod Classic and Gen 3 Nano require a separate reminder for every day as once a reminder has fired it does not fire again until it has be acknowledged.  A weeks or months worth of two reminders are required.

If using calendar reminders, the reminders must be cleared every week or two, otherwise they stop functioning.

The later iPod Nanos, Gen 4,5,6 and 7, and the iPod Touch enter a power save mode quite quickly sometimes after just a few minutes.

A much better solution than calendar reminders, and the only effective solution for the later Nanos and iPod Touch, is to modify the KCA-420i so that it can wake up an iPod from any power saving mode.

The simplest version of the mod, and I believe the most effective, requires just one wire and a small drill (1.5mm or 1/16th inch is the best size) to drill out a via (point at which a track goes through the board) on the KCA-420i board.

Here is a picture

KCA-420i%20Mod%203.jpg

You don;t need to drill right through the board, just enough to break the track.  This version of the mod simply replaces the main KCA-420i CPU control for charging with a fixed line that enables charging whenever the KCA-420i is powered up, this means that the KCA-420i will now charge a totally flat iPod.

Edited by RichardP

It's not that small, the area shown in the picture is about 40mm x 25mm. The wire is 20mm long, 30 AWG (0.25mm diameter)

I can do it for you, cost of return postage back to you. PM me if you want me to do it.

RichardP, thanks for providing the information on the Intravee founder and continuing the informal support. It is truly a great product. With that said, I'm curious if the single wire modification shown above replaces the IC modification I have seen elsewhere? If so, it is a bit easier. Just want to confirm before completing.

Thanks,

Ken

Yes, it replaces it.

In fact it is a little better as the single wire mod will allow charging of an iPod even if the battery is totally flat, the CPU mod requires that the iPod has enough charge to be able to wake up.

Sorry if offtopic! I did install the intravee and kca420 yesterday on my e39 M, i noticed when i freshly installed that no ipod message appeared on the lcd after a short while of not using it, but for some weird reason it did wakeup this morning after about 10 hours of not using. However i did notice it took about 2 minutes maybe? For it to wakeup and work flawlessly! Am i missing something? Maybe my 420 has the mod? I found it used on ebay! Whats the reasonable time it takes for it to wakeup after switching car on? Thanks

What type of iPod do you have, it makes a huge difference to the boot up time.

Take the lid of the KCA-420i to see if it has the mod, just undo all the screws you can see (except the one over the iPod cable connector) and lift the lid off.

I have a 4th gen touch and u hit the nail im just looking at the kca board at this very moment ... Wow.. No it doesnt have the mod... I totaly forgot that i had set an alarm on the ipod and aparently that was why it was waking up today everytime i turned tge car and radio on....

The iPod touch is not the best iPod to use, but it will work.

If you intend to leave it in the car, then unless you can reach it you MUST do the KCA-420i mod. The Touch can go to sleep very quickly, for example while you fill up with petrol, and it will be very annoying if you don't have the mod and it's in the boot.

There are other reasons why the Touch is not great:

- it does not have a compilations grouping facility.

- it ranks all tracks by an Artist alphabetically and not by Album, so playing all tracks by an Artist with multiple Albums is a bit odd.

- it's battery goes flat quite quickly even if not in use, especially if you have apps running.

Anyways, with any ipod ill use i want to do the wakeup mod to the kca! Whats the best ipod for this setup? Id rather find a cheap used on ebay! This 4th gen i have it only for music! No apps installed at all and all notifications are off too... Nothing draining battery..

The best iPod is the Gen 5.5 iPod Video, 80Gb, next up the iPod Classic (6th Gen).

I can do the mod for you, you'll have to cover postage costs. I'll PM you my address.

Hi Richard

Today I broke my 6 Gen 160gb iPod classic inside the car 😢😢😢

After doing some modding and soundquality research and furthermore you saying Gen 5.5 & 6 are the best, I will buy a second hand iPod Video Gen 5.5 80gb

As I do have pleeeenty of loosless FLAC files, I then wanna upgrade the iPod from 80gb to 240gb

Now my question: Did you hear anyone having problem with an modded 240gb iPod Video Gen 5.5 in combination with the Intravee?

Ah yeah, I guess the opensoure iPod-OS Rockbox won't work with the Intravee, isn't it?

Thanks for the feedback...

Edited by looper

Hi Richard

Today I broke my 6 Gen 160gb iPod classic inside the car

After doing some modding and soundquality research and furthermore you saying Gen 5.5 & 6 are the best, I will buy a second hand iPod Video Gen 5.5 80gb

As I do have pleeeenty of loosless FLAC files, I then wanna upgrade the iPod from 80gb to 240gb

Now my question: Did you hear anyone having problem with an modded 240gb iPod Video Gen 5.5 in combination with the Intravee?

Ah yeah, I guess the opensoure iPod-OS Rockbox won't work with the Intravee, isn't it?

Thanks for the feedback...

That's exactly what I have as my main lossless iPod, a Gen 5.5 with a 240Gb hard drive, no problems at all.

Rockbox does not work, at least not on the Gen 4 iPod I tested it with quite some time ago.

When taking the iPod apart, be careful with the battery connector onto the main board, they are quite easy to break and almost impossible to mend.