BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

CCC Module had it - New or Secondhand replacement?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon
  • Current Car:E60 535d M Sport

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I've put a few posts up recently about some problems I'm having with the idrive on my car. In summary, screen goes off, more often than not I loose audio as well. I get a "SOS Call System Failure" error message and "Highest Rate of Battery Discharge". My car has been at the Indy to find out what the cause(s) are.

The cause has been diagnosed as the CCC module (what joy!). My car was also going to have a software update but the module wouldn't stay up long enough to download the software - its on the way out.

So now I have to decide whether to get a second hand module or a new one? I haven't got a price on a new one yet but understand it to be over a grand. A second hand unit seems to be in the region of 500 quid. But my concern with a second hand unit is that I'm unsure if it wll carry any guarantee. So potentially I could get a second hand one and have the same problems and then need another replacement.

Has anyone replaced with a second hand unit?

I'd be interested to hear about what others have done and opinions on new or secondhand replacement.

Thanks

Mark

#2 baus

baus
  • Current Car:05 E60 525d Auto, Fully Loaded

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

usually second hand items from breakers have a 3 month warranty on them - my alternator did.

#3 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Which breakers did you use Baus?

#4 Idiot

Idiot
  • LocationSW
  • Current Car:e34 540iT/6, e34 525i/5

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

stuff from fab direct has 3month warranty. they might be able to help?

#5 baus

baus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

Which breakers did you use Baus?

http://members.ebay....lestrentlimited

#6 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Thanks both - I had a look round last night and there a few on eBay. I will also try the breakers mentioned

I need to get the part number first which I should have on Monday.

I seem to be hemorrhaging money on the car lately. Wife not impressed!

#7 ///MrSingh

///MrSingh
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've heard that from the dealers it's now been reduced to about £500? Haven't checked myself, but might be worth just giving them a shout.

535d_paris_.jpg
E60 535d M Sport - Carbon Black - Black Leather
Media Pack - Visibility Pack - 19" 172M Wheels - Head Up Display - Hifi Professional Logic 7 - Electric Memory Seats - Glass Sunroof - M Rear Spoiler - Front Heated Seats - Sun Protection Glass
Mods: LCI headlights and tailights conversion - M5 steering wheel with functional paddle shift - modmynav Multimedia Interface - Reversing Camera - LED indicators all round - Storm Motorwerks iDrive controller - 18" 135M winter wheels - Sport button

#8 Tuvoc

Tuvoc
  • LocationSurrey
  • Current Car:2004 E60 530i SE (M54)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

usually second hand items from breakers have a 3 month warranty on them - my alternator did.

Was that significantly cheaper than a reconditioned alternator ?

#9 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Cotswold BMW have come up trumps - £628 for new one with 2 Year parts & labour warranty.

Happy with that, a lot better than £1000+ that I was expecting.

#10 Tuvoc

Tuvoc
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Seems that they can be repaired as well ?

http://revtronic.com...w-idrive-models

I assume that my car has one of these units... 2004 E60 530i with professional satnav

#11 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Tuvoc - I called him yesterday. He wants £550 to do a repair!

Really!! I don't think so!!

#12 tristan

tristan
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland
  • Occupation:Temp retired again! ex race driver, ex bodyshop estimator, ex ford parts manager, ex oil & gas materials & logistics lead, ex jet engine & turbine spares n repair sales...
  • Current Car:'05 E60 BMW 545i & '13 F30 320d & '65 Jaguar S-Type 3.8S

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Try these guys
http://www.esalternators.co.uk
When I was in trade I sourced alot of electrical items from them, far cheaper than most other places and with gurantees. Most the items are fully reconditioned and good as new.

9309337788_fca4f3356a-1.jpg

#13 baus

baus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Was that significantly cheaper than a reconditioned alternator ?

At £85 I think so!!! Even if i were to get the voltage regulator, it would have cost £110 alone. Plus, the added risk of the coils or bearings conking from the original alternator too.

The alternator I received had only done 30k miles.

Didn't bother looking into reconditioning, didn't have the time. Those guys delivered next day, couldn't ask for more. One thing I'd say is that their websites are shiet, so ring them up, they're a pretty big company.

#14 Tuvoc

Tuvoc
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

At £85 I think so!!! Even if i were to get the voltage regulator, it would have cost £110 alone. Plus, the added risk of the coils or bearings conking from the original alternator too.

The alternator I received had only done 30k miles.

Didn't bother looking into reconditioning, didn't have the time. Those guys delivered next day, couldn't ask for more. One thing I'd say is that their websites are shiet, so ring them up, they're a pretty big company.

OK, a 30k mile alternator, brilliant !

#15 Tuvoc

Tuvoc
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Agreed, £628 for a brand new one, much better deal

Edited by Tuvoc, 01 December 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#16 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

With a second unit costing circa 500 quid, it's a no brainer to get a new one. Just need to find out fittings costs now at the Indy.

#17 Tuvoc

Tuvoc
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

I guess he set his price when the new replacements were £1,000+. Now that they are around £600, he will have to re-visit his pricing.

#18 Kems

Kems
  • LocationTorbay Devon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I've ordered a new CCC unit from Cotswold BMW. Their price is cheaper than what the Indy I use can get it for! It's being fitted on the 14th December. Indy charging £90.00 to fit and code it - I'm happy with that. I'll be particularly glad to get the audio back. You really appreciate something when it's not available!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users