Kems

CCC Module had it - New or Secondhand replacement?

18 posts in this topic

I've put a few posts up recently about some problems I'm having with the idrive on my car. In summary, screen goes off, more often than not I loose audio as well. I get a "SOS Call System Failure" error message and "Highest Rate of Battery Discharge". My car has been at the Indy to find out what the cause(s) are.

The cause has been diagnosed as the CCC module (what joy!). My car was also going to have a software update but the module wouldn't stay up long enough to download the software - its on the way out.

So now I have to decide whether to get a second hand module or a new one? I haven't got a price on a new one yet but understand it to be over a grand. A second hand unit seems to be in the region of 500 quid. But my concern with a second hand unit is that I'm unsure if it wll carry any guarantee. So potentially I could get a second hand one and have the same problems and then need another replacement.

Has anyone replaced with a second hand unit?

I'd be interested to hear about what others have done and opinions on new or secondhand replacement.

Thanks

Mark

stuff from fab direct has 3month warranty. they might be able to help?

Thanks both - I had a look round last night and there a few on eBay. I will also try the breakers mentioned

I need to get the part number first which I should have on Monday.

I seem to be hemorrhaging money on the car lately. Wife not impressed!

I've heard that from the dealers it's now been reduced to about £500? Haven't checked myself, but might be worth just giving them a shout.

usually second hand items from breakers have a 3 month warranty on them - my alternator did.

Was that significantly cheaper than a reconditioned alternator ?

Cotswold BMW have come up trumps - £628 for new one with 2 Year parts & labour warranty.

Happy with that, a lot better than £1000+ that I was expecting.

Tuvoc - I called him yesterday. He wants £550 to do a repair!

Really!! I don't think so!!

Try these guys

http://www.esalternators.co.uk

When I was in trade I sourced alot of electrical items from them, far cheaper than most other places and with gurantees. Most the items are fully reconditioned and good as new.

Was that significantly cheaper than a reconditioned alternator ?

At £85 I think so!!! Even if i were to get the voltage regulator, it would have cost £110 alone. Plus, the added risk of the coils or bearings conking from the original alternator too.

The alternator I received had only done 30k miles.

Didn't bother looking into reconditioning, didn't have the time. Those guys delivered next day, couldn't ask for more. One thing I'd say is that their websites are shiet, so ring them up, they're a pretty big company.

At £85 I think so!!! Even if i were to get the voltage regulator, it would have cost £110 alone. Plus, the added risk of the coils or bearings conking from the original alternator too.

The alternator I received had only done 30k miles.

Didn't bother looking into reconditioning, didn't have the time. Those guys delivered next day, couldn't ask for more. One thing I'd say is that their websites are shiet, so ring them up, they're a pretty big company.

OK, a 30k mile alternator, brilliant !

Agreed, £628 for a brand new one, much better deal

Edited by Tuvoc

With a second unit costing circa 500 quid, it's a no brainer to get a new one. Just need to find out fittings costs now at the Indy.

I guess he set his price when the new replacements were £1,000+. Now that they are around £600, he will have to re-visit his pricing.

I've ordered a new CCC unit from Cotswold BMW. Their price is cheaper than what the Indy I use can get it for! It's being fitted on the 14th December. Indy charging £90.00 to fit and code it - I'm happy with that.

I'll be particularly glad to get the audio back. You really appreciate something when it's not available!