Chaz

Track Day - 535D, tyre pressures?

Will be at Brands in December, hoping for a nice lovely warm and dry day.

Running standard 19 inch Spyders - any advice for tyre pressures please?

Thanks

Keep it high start as though the car is loaded to the brim, go steady and work your way down but remember low pressure will kill your tyres, Ive seen it happen be warned!

My Brother in law just took his 335d to snetterton and started of with full traction control on as it was wet, he said it made him look like a driving god :) As the day and himself improved he loosened the electronics a little and had the best track day of his life.

He could hit over 130 at 2 points on the track but kept braking to a minimum as he said it did not take long for the disks to start groaning.

What ever you do dont leave it in Auto even on the sighting laps as it will spit you off in a second as it will just kick down mid corner with no warning!! He had it happen entering the esses and said it was very close!!

Don't start with it high.

Do a few laps then come in and check them. You want them a little bit higher than normal road use, but not massively so. The trick is to keep an eye on them as they increase as you put the laps in.

Too high a pressure is as bad as too low.

Ok, great thanks. I recall with Kirkistown in NI, you had to run high pressure front left otherwise you would be going home with a well worn corner due to the nature of the track.

Don't start with it high.

Do a few laps then come in and check them. You want them a little bit higher than normal road use, but not massively so. The trick is to keep an eye on them as they increase as you put the laps in.

Too high a pressure is as bad as too low.

At the end of the day if you start with low pressure you could kill a £1000 worth of tyres in 10 hard laps I've seen it done. Yes, pressures go up but a high pressure tyre will not wear out a tyre like a low pressure tyre. The car may well slip and slide about thats when I would bring it in and drop a PSI or 2.