Hadleigh007

Which track car with a £1500 - £2000 budget,

Or if u want something ultra cheap with a bit more torque an Accord Type R is a good shout. Not the best looking car but 2.2 212hp VTEC engine with a helical LSD as stock

Personally i would have an Impreza..

Mildly boosted and with suspension sorted they are a very quick track weapon..

If you want to learn about pure car control then i have no doubt a 328 with LSD and coilies would be better..

Depends what your after out of your car..

We campaigned a Pug 205 GTi in clubman rallying that was pretty standard apart from cage and it was a giant killer.. I hated the FWD handling but on the short tracks that we visited it was definatly the quicker option..

Hi, 

Thanks for reviving this post, I'm, still on the look out. My concerns with an imprezza is the cost of living with it once you've bought it, I understand that you need to find one that has been well looked after and that nothing about them maintenance wise is cheap although they handle incredibly well. I'm hoping to use it on the road as well as on a track. The honda accrod type r seems an interesting suggestion as they seem very good value especially with the lsd as standard. Has anyone here had one? I'm still keen on the E46 330i party as it will be a really nice car on the road and for days out, although I guess you've then all the bits to buy suspension, brakes etc. I'm trying to stick to anything newer than the year 2000 mainly for ease of working on it as there isn't too much rust about yet. Also considering putting this budget towards a Z4 3.0i as a car for days out and that handles well, has anyone had or got one of these?

Thanks

You don't want a Z4 - the steering is lifeless and over-assisted, and the rear axle skips over the smallest of bumps. Plus the ride is crap and they're prone to understeer.

Not sure why you'd go for an Accord Type R over a 328i/330i.

Bear in mind that any mods you make for track use will make it less enjoyable "for days out" - ideally you want two separate cars, otherwise one use will compromise the other.

yeah that's certainly a fair point, I've never been in an accord type r so wondered what people thought, mainly on the grounds of reliability I suppose and interesting feedback about the Z4 I've been a passenger but not driven one yet. I imagine an E46 330i with coilovers and upgraded brakes is where I will end up and depending how much I get into track days I should have a decent starting point once I start pulling the interior out! 

Are there any opinions as to good value coilovers and brakes as there seems to be a myriad of manufacturers brands out there its a bit of a minefield. 

As ever, comes down to budget.

A lot of people recommend HSD coilovers at the £850ish mark. Anything cheaper WILL be crap, and if you can spend more you'll get more.

As for brakes, uprate the pads, fit braided hoses and decent fluid and then see how you go. I've long been a big fan of Pagid RS29s, and suspect that's all the brakes you'll need.

Z4 is great for a fast road car (i loved mine), I found the steering fine, horrible ride untill you get rid of the runflats.

Z4 on track - Understeers and the brakes are crap! can be easily fixed on both those points though, but its all money at the end of the day.

I stopped tracking my Z cuz I was to nervious about bending it and loosing alot of money. So swapped it for a E61 520d (tow car) and E36 328 (track car)

E36's are also cheaper to run on track than E46's marginally now though as the E46's bits get cheaper

rx8?? great handling motor!!!

I'd agree.. My last car was an RX8 and it was an awesome awesome track car.. Only problem is you'll want to drive it daily too as that engine's such a peach, and for the money nothing else comes close on the fun factor... I'd literately go everywhere sideways with a huge grin on my face :0)

^^ +1

They are like a go-kart!

Just keep the oil fresh and topped up and don't switch off till its warmed up.

RWD - E36 328i Sport with LSD (standard on older ones without traction)

Nissan 200SX S14a manual

Skyline GTS-T if you can find one within your budget

Porsche 944?

FWD - Integra TypeR  (might be hard to find a decent one within your budget)

Accord TypeR  (bad for gearbox syncros like most hot hondas)

Nissan primera GT  (can be bought for peanuts and bulletproof) 

306 GTI-6

Clio 172/182

Well I haven't found the right track car just yet, partly due to living so far North everything that comes up is a considerable distance away but I'll keep looking. In the meantime I ended up taking my E39 530d around Croft for a day which was extremely fun and a good start to the hobby. It has a Bilstein B12 suspension upgrade and remap so it certainly didn't embarrass itself although it seems this model will not allow you to fully turn off the dsc, maybe not a bad thing for the first go though. I was in a beginner class however most people seemed to be giving it a  good go and as the day wore on it It kept up with some pretty quick machines by maintaining the speed through the corners. My mechanic noted at the last service that it'll be due for discs and pads, any recommendations on what to upgrade them to, what is the best value for money?

Thanks

post-33866-0-28427200-1368187287_thumb.j

post-33866-0-00959000-1368187290_thumb.j

Happy days, reminds me of taking the 540i round the Ring in treacherous wet and greasy conditions:

RetsetAtRing.jpg

I have done track days in all sorts of things. The less powerful ones have been just as much fun as the more powerful ones. Those big wide straights make even good acceleration feel pedestrian. It's the last minute braking and cornering that are fun so make your choice based around that. Obviously lighter = less consumables used up.

I can understand the 'don't touch the French attitude' but really a decent 306 GTi6 is a superb track car, and dealt with at the beginning properly it will give as much reliable fun as any car mentioned before.

I ran a 205 GTi 1900 as mine (still have it, hopefully play time starts again soon) and its caged, modified, not massively powerful (166 horses at the fly) but it gives many things a major run for their money, its light, very quick and handles brilliantly, parts are easy to locate and they are very easy to work on when they do need it (and many track cars will do).

In fact mine gave a good account of itself at Cadwell by preventing a Porsche GT3 from getting to far ahead of itself, it even kept a scooby behind at Snetterton (and thats on a video 'he' took). It looks the part and sounds superb, mind you I do need to wear ear plugs and its so bloody hard when its on the road as the ride is on the extremely solid side, but when you open it up it's a goer. On track it comes into its own.

But one thing I have learnt is don't worry about power, its all about the weight, handling and the braking as thats where the fun begins.

Edited by Andy G

For me the Nissan Pulsar GTi-R is unbeatable, I remember seeing a friends one go round Knockhill embarrassing some very expensive metal on both the bends and the straight

£375 MGF VVC - so far

100 laps of Silverstone

Prescott Hill Climb school

2000 miles on the roads

Gradually selling bits to make it lighter!

Held its own against most other 'affordable' stuff at Silverstone, upset a few MX5 owners..........!

I used to have an E46 330Ci with upgraded (essential - standard ones are crap) discs and pads, was quite quick on track but too lardy in standard guise and very heavy on the 18 inch tyres! I have more fun in the MGF...............and can affors more trackdays as tyres etc are cheaper.

i was going to jump in and say a bmw diesel but see you used one, get a tatty clunker and have a look at some of the budget boost articles they can be made to go very quick for not much, one car i didnt see on the list was an EK/EG civic they are light, reliable and fast with a few mods also dont forget you get around 160/170 bhp in a little shopping trolley.

cheers steve